VashDstampede’s Bill and Ted’s Payphone Replica

VashDstampede

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
It’s rare that I get to work on personal projects, but I took some time this past weekend to work on my replica Payphone from Bill And Ted’s Excellent Adventure. I’ve been wanting to do this for over a decade, so I’m extremely happy to finally get this far. I made a mold and cast the star key as well as a blank button for the “infinity” key in clear epoxy.

I then wired up a light kit, wired it to some micro LEDs along with the right capacitors to make it blink at the proper speed and sequence. I then mounted the LEDs to the buttons of a sound card which I had already downloaded some sounds from the movie. My LEDs where super white, so I put a strip of yellow poster paper before mounting everything back to the payphone. All these parts, except for the payphone, were parts I already had so that made things go smoothly.

I’m also going to add the guts of a retro cell phone handset as well as a cell phone cradle on the side so it can be functional with any cell phone. I may also modify this down the road so that the keypad buttons stick out more since the keypad this particular payphone came with was more on the flush side.

When I have more time, I’ll start working on my phone booth .
C9D7294A-DB56-44DA-B7B2-7CEFCEEBD29D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent! Any chance you'd like to sell casts of the keys? I thought about doing this project years ago but didn't want to have to make the keys.

I still have to replace my compressor to start to start using my pressure pot. But, if you don’t mind some micro bubbles, I may be able to hook you up.

Excellent! Any chance you'd like to sell casts of the keys? I thought about doing this project years ago but didn't want to have to make the keys.

Very cool! Sad thing is, I wonder how many of our younger RPF members are asking themselves........"What is this payphone thing you speak of?"!
That’s what’s cool about this prop, it’s also a historical artifact ��.

Most excellent!!! Yes, Vash, please make the two keys available!
I’ll see what I can do once I get my new compressor this month.

I’ve added a couple of new sound features in the payphone and I had a chance to take a small video of it temporarily mounted in the phone booth.
Once the door is in place and it’s more enclosed, I’m sure the sound will be more clear, if not, I’ll mount the speaker in the back or bottom of the phone.
It will be a couple of weeks before I can get started on the booth itself, but I’m happy how things are turning out so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Funky!
This was one of those rare props that I thought I would never come close to owning. I’ve been searching for over a decade on Craigslist and other sites, but it was rare to find any in driving distance and for the right price. In the end, even with the cost and the adventure/ordeal I had in getting the phone booth it was so worth it owning a piece of movie and real life history.
Really looking forward to getting this project rolling!
This is the coolest prop of the year!

We were buying candy to put in gift bags for our niece’s graduation party at the 99 cent store and I happened upon a small folding umbrella which I quickly bought.
Once I took it home, I took off the fabric and man it was a nice surprise that it was fairly close in size to the movie “antenna”. After a few slight alterations, I painted it red and then mounted it to a metal tube taken from an old Swiffer mop that we no longer used. I then temporarily put it on an armature to see what it looked like atop the phone booth. The tube is a few inches too tall and I think the movie version has a couple less spines, but I think it looks the part and at a great bargain.
450957D6-44C2-4B1D-8821-C7FEECF85196.jpeg4ECA0584-8F00-45B8-9124-ACFBA8667F74.jpeg

Last edited:
I love seeing replicas of the phone booth being built. Oddly enough, I've never seen a replica of the Bogus Journey booth, only the Excellent Adventure/Face the Music booth. Now that the Bogus Journey booth has been sold, I hope it can be restored, and we can get some high quality photos of the roof for replication! Have you made any more upgrades/mods to your booth recently?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back