Large Costume- (camera and monitor for vision)?

Nismo

So I have started my Incredible Hulk build and it's so large I will be inside the torso puppeting the arms /hands etc..with a system of cables.

my eye line is at his mid chest level ( so no good place to cut slits or have fabric to see thru.

I have seen other large costumes have a video monitor inside with a camera so the wearer can see around them without a direct vision spot.

Best I am finding is aftermarket backup cameras and some nest style cameras that are wireless. I would prefer a direct connection from camera to monitor/ tablet as if I lose signal I am actually blind.

for this reason I will probably make myself a periscope that I can use to see out of his mouth (for emergencies or even to check head clearance if I am ducking under something.

So hoping to find someone with some insight on this.

1) maybe 4" screen
2) at least 4 hours of batt life
3) small camera (like go-pro is size)
4) direct connection.

I used something like this on my Igor build a long time ago. I used a 7" monitor, but I only went that size because I wanted a large screen display. As I remember I could go down to 2 1/2" as well. Check out post 50 in this thread:

https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=209533&page=2&highlight=igor

I'm sure I added a bunch of other stuff in the thread, but you'll have to skim through. The big thing with using backup cameras/ monitors is just making sure the camera view can be reversed... Most backup camera setups are made with mirrored imaging, it makes it easier to use a back-view camera while using a forward-facing camera. Dash-cams can work as well, but unfortunately the camera is usually integrated into the monitor housing, so it limits mounting. Good luck with your project!

Yeah I was looking into FPV camera and fatshark goggles as well but thanks for the link I will read up!

Sandbagger used some kind of video goggle setup in his iron man build. I think he has the details in there.

I don't know much about goggles, but I've installed many backup camera systems in cars.
Cheap, easy wiring, definitely something you should consider.
You can run multiple cameras and monitors, using smaller screens for rear and side views.
You could hide 12v SLA batteries down in the feet.
Robert

Just and update for others interested

n53xz1ll.jpg

So I got a DASH cam set up that came with individual Cameras -
4" Screen mounted about where you would hold a phone if you were looking at it.
$40

for Power I got a KMASHI 15000mah External Battery Power Bank with duel output.
$18

(I may add a second screen cause this one does split screen and I find myself switching back and forth instead of looking at both views at the same time.)

so very affordable - easy set up and I left it running (actually recording myself) while working in the shop for 4 hours and the Power bank was still above 50% so will meet my
1 hour costume time easy.

Also I made the power bank a velcro patch so I can take it in and out easy (or used for other things as well)

What $40 unit did you get?

Link please.

I bought 2 just to hedge my bets

I got this one - for $40

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075GHC7SV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this one for I think $80 (but right now saying no available for some reason

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TM59NCK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with the Yikoo I had to use the rear cam in the front so everything was mirrored - so I had to either remember left was right and right was left...but during a practice run I just
tapped in a small mirror angled to flip the image and put everything back correctly - but honestly I am so slow moving and on stilts anyway I kinda just lined myself up with the place i needed to go and walked... but it is a challenge for sure but after a while you get the hang of it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back