Taschen's The Star Wars Archives

ghostryder

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/ca...star_wars_archives_episodes_ivvi_19771983.htm

star_wars_vol_1_xl_gb_3d_01170_1805231208_id_1194825.png

For $200 it better have unseen before pics AND buy hold me while I sleep.

Give it a year and it will be less than 50% off.
They released a Disney Animated films Archive for almost $300, and after a year it was on sale on Amazon for $74 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Give it a year and it will be less than 50% off.
They released a Disney Animated films Archive for almost $300, and after a year it was on sale on Amazon for $74 with free shipping.

I am still kicking myself for not buying the Kubrick Archives book(s).

They have a store in Cologne, Germany, and their Comics store around the corner of that store is where I started my vintage comics collection in the late 80ies. Love their books, especially their architecture books. I, too, am curious about what they can show us what we haven´t seen a hundred times already.

EDIT: Okay, they have the McQ Vader vs. Luke painting as their header, which I must say does not fuel hope to see something really interesting and new in that book.

Last edited:
A review (not mine) from Amazon (emphasis added):

"This book is a rehash of old material. I’ve been a Star Wars geek for 42 years and I must say that there is nothing new and inspiring in this incredibly expensive book. And you should also note that the interviews and opinions expressed within these pages were made decades after the films were released. I make this point because George Lucas has consistently tried to reshape his image by contradicting his vision of Star Wars from back when he was a struggling and humble film maker, not the arrogant prima dona that he is today. Many years ago I purchased “The Making Of” book series of Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi. These three books are still available on Amazon and for a total cost of this Star Wars Archeives book. What sets the “Making Of” books apart from this book is the interviews recorded I those books were actual words spoken back when they were making the films - not ten, twenty, thirty years after the fact. So you get a feel for what was in the heads of the people directly associated with the making of the films as it happened. None of the artwork or photographs in The Star Wars Archeives book are new. Everything contained within this massive book has been published before. If this book was priced In the $70.00 to $80.00 range, I might consider purchasing it for my extensive Star Wars library. But as it is, it’s overpriced."

Can anyone here confirm or deny this...?

Can anyone here confirm or deny this...?

Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983

It wouldn't surprise me that *most* everything that's in this book is something that I've seen before, but you know what? I'm not going to waste my time trying to cross-reference everything that's in all of the other Star Wars books in my collection. That doesn't matter to me. Is this book expensive? Yes. But is it worth having? Yes (in my opinion). Is it impressive as a presentation? YES! The sheer scale of the book's format made me say *out loud* "wow!" at some of the graphics. Ralph McQuarrie's Docking Bay 94 painting is given a two-page spread, and it's stunning at this scale.

I'd say don't listen to one naysayer - if you're a Star Wars fan and you can afford it, buy a copy!

This book is huge and weighs a ton! There were a few photos in there I haven't seen before and I've seen plenty.

Star Wars Archives: 1977-1983

It wouldn't surprise me that *most* everything that's in this book is something that I've seen before, but you know what? I'm not going to waste my time trying to cross-reference everything that's in all of the other Star Wars books in my collection. That doesn't matter to me. Is this book expensive? Yes. But is it worth having? Yes (in my opinion). Is it impressive as a presentation? YES! The sheer scale of the book's format made me say *out loud* "wow!" at some of the graphics. Ralph McQuarrie's Docking Bay 94 painting is given a two-page spread, and it's stunning at this scale.

I'd say don't listen to one naysayer - if you're a Star Wars fan and you can afford it, buy a copy!

Good to know... Insightful post from a respected source. Thanks!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back