Gonk droid

GEEK1138

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So a pretty simple build to follow the Landspeeder...although this is going to be part of a bigger project to recreate the whole droid torture chamber. Which means R2, 3PO and EV-9D9 which I've already done, 2 Gamorrean guards, 8D8 torturing the Gonk droid, and the little courier droid, 2-1a on the rack. As well as a load of kit lying around and maybe a broken CZ-4/RA-7. Anyway here's the Gonk

So thanks to a previous build, Spacebob, I think, it was established that the base boxes for the Gonk were Osmaflow 25 gallon water tanks. These haven't been in production for years and were only really available in the UK. So onto Fleabay and after a few weeks I score 2 of them for £20! The owners, like everybody else had no idea what they had been used for and didn't really know Star Wars (weird)

20180520_150824.jpg 20180520_150721.jpg

Finally, a piece of kit that's actually easier to find in Britain. They are huge too...much bigger than I would have guessed, but I s'pose they did have to house a little guy inside

I've already modelled and printed most of the other greeblie parts and the rest will be from my boxes of stuff

20180520_150736.jpg20180520_150842.jpg20180520_150855.jpg 20180520_150901.jpg

There seems to be many different variations of Gonk livery but I'm going for the classic Sandcrawler droid

20180520_150709.jpg

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I really enjoy your build threads.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Very cool, I built mine a couple years ago from off the shelf parts and bins. While mine is not screen accurate, it looks the part enough for me. Can't wait to see yours finished!

Not trying to steal the moment, but it was I that pointed out the actual bin that was used.
My brother had figured it quite a few years ago.
Being in the USA, I've never been able to acquire any.
Just pointing this out because I'm so happy to see someone finally build one with the bins.
If you ever come across 2 more, please feel free to let me know.
Robert

Not trying to steal the moment, but it was I that pointed out the actual bin that was used.
My brother had figured it quite a few years ago.
Being in the USA, I've never been able to acquire any.
Just pointing this out because I'm so happy to see someone finally build one with the bins.
If you ever come across 2 more, please feel free to let me know.
Robert

Yes Robert, I have flipped back thru the old build threads and it was indeed your good self that brought these out into the light. If I do come across anymore, I'll let u know

So it's been a relatively long time since my last update because of other jobs and upload problems but that does not mean I've been slacking.

As mentioned, this is gonna be part of a bigger build to incorporate all of the droids in the torture chamber scene from ROTJ

0AX4mS1m.jpg
H6gF0ZEm.jpg

I've finished the Gonk droid and his torture apparatus thing. Very little reference material for the real torture device so I used the toy for help
Got the poles painted and weathered up and the boxes/grab arms textured

Xf8o8s3m.jpg
nccHCgUm.jpg

I want to reproduce the branding effect scene . I have an ultrasonic humidifier/fan unit mounted inside him to simulate the steam, and pipes running up thru holes in his feet. I was gonna use an actual oven element that glowed red but I think the heat will melt his feet so I'm trying out a flexible neon strip fixed to metal tubing shaped like the film. Obviously the branding pole will hang above his feet but I don't have the height in my workshop

6yDZ3kqm.jpg
OnvQJQvm.jpg

I'm gonna have 8D8 standing at the back cranking the lever also, but I've put him in a separate thread in case anyone wants to search particular characters. He is also finished

I always pity the poor gonk, getting his feet roasted. Very nice job! The sound and visual efects are very movie accurate! Looking forward to seeing the entire torture chamber and good luck!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back