WIP Darkest Dungeon Bounty Hunter

spacedog

IMG_4700.JPG
A few months ago I started to make this costume in the evenings and weekends as a hobby. I began with the weapons, a weighted hook he has on a rope and an odd shaped double crescent axe. The ball is some stacked layers of eva foam with a piece of worbla sandwiched between foam in the hook. The loop is also worbla to give it strength to hang from the rope. I sprayed it with plastidip and then painted it with acrylic paints.
IMG_4698.JPGP1020162.JPG
The axe is made from a cardboard tube and more foam mats, painted with acrylics. The surfaces are all heavily worn and pitted to match the character in the game, where nothing is new and shiny. The handgrip was done by wrapping the cardboard tube with craft foam and using a hot knife/soldering tool to add the texture. It was a little tricky so I drew all the lines with a pen before going over it with the hot knife. More to come, any comments or criticism is welcome.
IMG_4681.JPGIMG_4682.JPG

This helmet is made from eva foam. I used a heat gun to get the shape and contact cement to glue it together. I used a latex product called "Alex plus" to fill and fix the seams. After putting a bunch of battle damage on it, I then coated it in three or four layers of plasti-dip. It didn't look worn or damaged enough so I tried a couple different things for the first time. Initially I held some crinkled aluminum foil on the craft foam and ran a hot knife slowly over it. This worked well to give it some texture that was more subtle than using the hot knife directly on the surface. After that I took a sponge and dipped it in a little liquid latex to kind of stipple the surface so it would look bubbled and rusty. It was not rubbed on, but dabbed. For paint I also tried something new, Rustoleum hammered pewter primer and paint. I didn't do a great job of it, but that's part of learning. The hammered effect comes from putting on a thicker coat than a normal dusting layer. It says on the can "flat surfaces" because the thicker coat of paint will slightly run or sag on anything else. Like I said, learning as I go. Anyways, I used several different acrylics over top to give it some depth and rust and grime. Again any comments or advice are welcome
.IMG_4748.JPGIMG_4747.JPGIMG_4746.JPGIMG_4749.JPGIMG_4750.JPGIMG_4751.JPG

I have done some leatherwork before and will be making the belts and pouches with leather, but the armor scales need to appear metallic. So I bought a smooth-on starter kit and made a mold to try my hand a making some resin scales. The results were mixed. The initial scales were all bright white so it takes time to paint them and then because the scales are layered it doesn't take long for the paint to get scratched off even with a clear coat. After returning to the store and asking some questions I bought some colour tint and metal powder to try again. With a little experimentation the scales need less painting and any scratches are less noticeable as they are grey in colour. I started by removing a sleeve from an old leather jacket and shortening it to elbow length. Then I marked holes to rivet the scales to the leather and eyelets to lace the sleeve together again.
IMG_4715.JPGIMG_4753.JPGIMG_4754.JPG
I thought I would make some of them rusty looking, but ended up a bit heavy handed, so I will be knocking the bright orange back down again. The sleeve ended up heavier than I had hoped, and I still have to make the other sleeve and kilt. So the scales might have to be scrapped and I'll try something else. I'm not sure at this point. The reason I didn't use foam is they would probably curl and not give the appearance I want. Any advice and comments are welcome.
IMG_4719.JPGIMG_4752.JPG

I am still undecided on the scale armor, but in the meantime I have started making the belt and baldric. The belt is huge, like a weightlifting type. In the game it is just black without any detail, but because of the size I've started to add some. This character seems a bit of a mashup of cultures, Celtic, Persian and East Asian. I've been looking at samples of each trying to work them in, but eventually I started carving pictures I've drawn of the enemies in the game on it. There will need to be loops for the hook/rope and grenades and some pouches too. Still working it all out. Here are a couple pics, any comments or advice are welcome.

Edit: Oddly the thumbnails appear upside down, but I see no way to fix it.

Attachments

• IMG_4782.JPG
    IMG_4782.JPG
    644.4 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_4783.JPG
    IMG_4783.JPG
    662.2 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Well the really wide belt is pretty much done. I've carved and stamped some of the amazing artwork from the game Darkest dungeon on it.
I've done what I can to make it look old and worn to match the costume. It has a couple D rings to hang the weighted hook and grenades off of it.

IMG_4840.JPGIMG_4841.JPGIMG_4845.JPGIMG_4846.JPGIMG_4847.JPGIMG_4848.JPG

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back