Giger Alien Bas-Relief

cbcurtis

CNC work for the master, mold-making tomorrow, then cold-casting this in bronze and aluminum this weekend. Backfill with 8lb foam and embedded hangars.

IMG_2298.JPGIMG_2305.JPGIMG_2308.JPGIMG_2309.JPG

Fun project. Next time, probably machine in tooling board and add more detail with the 1/16" ballnose.

So... My first attempt was a bust (see picture). Was trashing it but my family kept pulling it from the trash. Eventually got inspiration to make a new master and starting mold making tomorrow for some alumimum cold-casts.
IMG_20180919_204612.jpg
New Mold prep work pic:
IMG_20180919_205231.jpg

Weathered the prototype a bit to see what it will look more like. And finished making my mold. Casting this weekend.
Ptype_weathered.jpgMold.jpg

Attachments

• Mold.jpg
    Mold.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 130
  • Ptype_weathered.jpg
    Ptype_weathered.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 139
All right! 1st Pull from the mold (cold-cast aluminum) Picture next to the Giger book of the same image.

Needs cleanup and weathering but...

View attachment 845689
So when you cold cast, do you mix a metal powder into resin?

I have not done this yet but I am soon to buy a tooling epoxy kit for making "metal" bucks for vacuum forming. The kit is epoxy with aluminum powder. Apparently you can machine it once cured.

Sent from my CPH1701 using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back