Don't mess up that ARwing! Scratch built N64 StarFox arwing project

zanderwitaz

I've wanted one of these since 1997. Well, I found the time to make one!

I aimed for an 18" wingspan. I was house sitting for about a month, and needed a project that could be done without a shop. This was done completely on a kitchen table, up to the molding process.

I used a combination of pepakura files, in game screenshots, promo art, and retail box images to get the look I wanted. I also aimed to make the lower wing pylons (twin laser upgrade) able to be built in the up or down position. The wings so far are in all range mode only, but swept back may be an option in the future.

arwinghangar.jpg

laser11.jpg

laser7.jpg

n64arwing.jpg

Updates soon!

Last edited:
Thanks JM.

Onward! The fuselage was done first. Mostly in game, with the starfox logo as a recessed detail. I also flipped the vents around, it just didn't make sense on the in game version to have them facing forward.

IMG_3579.JPG

The G-diffusers were made, and the paneling was estimated. I hated the look so I scrapped it and made another, using more precise measurements.
The canopy is fairly straight forward, but needed to be very smooth. I'll be casting it in clear later on.

The thruster area is next!

IMG_3580.JPG

I cut up an amiibo figure for the cockpit. I also started the wings, but I wasn't completely happy with them.
There are a lot of 2D details (Especially in the back) that have to be interpreted. We'll see how they come out!

IMG_3583.JPG

Most of the ridges were done with styrene rod and half rounds.

IMG_3586.JPG

This part here was probably the hardest to figure out on the whole fighter. The intersection where the wings meet the body. The Arwing has sweep wings like an F-14, but when they are closed or open, the proportions of the wing change, not just the positioning. I did my best, and made a triangular plate where the bizarre clipping of the model occurs.

IMG_3629.JPG

Yep, I did a lot of this work over the course of the last month or two, just never got around to making a thread on it.

I completed the wings. I didn't take pictures during the process, but I had to re-make the wing tips twice to get it just right.

IMG_3643.JPG

Did some paneling on the lower pylons, as well as the fine detailing on the areas that are exposed with the twin laser upgrade.

IMG_3633.JPG

IMG_3670.JPG

On to the bottom, and interior!

Looking really good. I've always wanted to make one from the original game, although I'd have to change a few things to make it better.

Pretty cool ! I really like where this is going.

Thanks!

The wings were very tricky. Even a degree off on any of the many angles and it would look off, and asymmetrical.

IMG_3653.JPG

I started the tedious journey of building out the interior. I cut up an amiibo Falco figure to fit in the cockpit as well. Just barely fits!!

IMG_3674.JPG

I didn't take pictures, but after I hacked off the Falco torso, I hacked open the base he was standing on. I pulled out the circular tag in there, and made a recess in the bottom of the arwing hull to fit it. Then I sculpted a square plate to cover it all. Now the arwing will work as an amiibo. You can see the underside detailing, and the plate below.

IMG_3671.JPG

Who's excited for molds?

This is looking really good. Can't wait to see it painted.
I've actually been listening to video game remixes online, and downloading a bunch.
I found this really cool video from the first Starfox. Brings back good memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again JM. Still working on this thing. I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the starfiox insignia on both sides of the nose.

I never had an Snes, I started off on the N64. I really like the assault soundtrack personally.

Mold progress!

IMG_3694.JPG

Here's the styrene prototype with some cast G-diffusers.

IMG_3681.JPG

Very cool build. Do you happen to have plans/measurements you could share? Also, what did you sculpt it out of? Styrene? I'm still pretty new to scratch building and am really impressed by the level of detail you were able to carve in, so any tips or advice would be fantastic.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back