Spider-Man Homecoming home made costume

MarM

I hope many RPFers see this.

I want to thank many on here for sharing their knowledge, research, tutorials, etc. It's been inspiring and instrumental for my son and I.

First, my son was able to gather all the parts and pieces generally agreed upon that were used by the costume department for the film(s). Not only was he able to get every piece, he taught himself how to see so he could make the mask from the sleeves of the hoodie, as Parker would have done.

He was able to find a tailor that helped him tailor the items to best fit him and is learning how to do alterations on his own.

Secondly, the community inspired me and helped me make the web shooters, thanks to all the photos and screen caps floating around the RPF. We had originally planned on a father/son build of the web shooters using UVA foam and other items, until we stumbled upon some RC parts used on the actual prop. Unfortunately for me, I mentioned that I may be able to make them using styrene sheets. LOL. My son was extastic but worried it was too much for him to ask. I gladly took on the project while he concentrated on the costume. BTW, he didn't want to take the easy route and buy prints from the ONE screen accurate 3D model we found on the internet's.

Well, 4 straight weeks of looking at pictures, finding minor parts, reviewing some costly screen accurate 3D files, reverse engineering, toying with measurements, etc, I finally finished.

Here are a few pics I have on my phone.
I want to take some more detailed ones of the web shooters later.

The main point of this thread is my gratitude to all you creative SOBs!!!

You all should be proud of yourselves...

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_20180511_235150866_LL.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 557
  • IMG_20180511_232944855_LL.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 676
  • IMG_20180512_151027577_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 551
  • IMG_20180512_150918870_HDR~01.jpg
    IMG_20180512_150918870_HDR~01.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,719
  • IMG_20180512_151813277.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 560
  • IMG_20180513_162438430_HDR.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 391
I hope many RPFers see this.

I want to thank many on here for sharing their knowledge, research, tutorials, etc. It's been inspiring and instrumental for my son and I.

First, my son was able to gather all the parts and pieces generally agreed upon that were used by the costume department for the film(s). Not only was he able to get every piece, he taught himself how to see so he could make the mask from the sleeves of the hoodie, as Parker would have done.

He was able to find a tailor that helped him tailor the items to best fit him and is learning how to do alterations on his own.

Secondly, the community inspired me and helped me make the web shooters, thanks to all the photos and screen caps floating around the RPF. We had originally planned on a father/son build of the web shooters using UVA foam and other items, until we stumbled upon some RC parts used on the actual prop. Unfortunately for me, I mentioned that I may be able to make them using styrene sheets. LOL. My son was extastic but worried it was too much for him to ask. I gladly took on the project while he concentrated on the costume. BTW, he didn't want to take the easy route and buy prints from the ONE screen accurate 3D model we found on the internet's.

Well, 4 straight weeks of looking at pictures, finding minor parts, reviewing some costly screen accurate 3D files, reverse engineering, toying with measurements, etc, I finally finished.

Here are a few pics I have on my phone.
I want to take some more detailed ones of the web shooters later.

The main point of this thread is my gratitude to all you creative SOBs!!!

You all should be proud of yourselves...

Mark

Could you show us the minor parts and RC parts that you found??? I've been trying to "crack the code" for a while!!!

Sorry for the delayed answer!

The parts I was able to confirm were the RC Ball Joints. Attached is a picture from an online store.

I found a set at our local Hobby Town USA store. You will only find them at RC shops or hobby stores that specialize in both models and RC planes, cars, drones, etc.
Attached are some pics of the final build stage. In retrospect, I should've documented all the progress.

Here is a cut and paste from another answer I provided someone regarding most of the build. There is a link to an online store for the Ball Joints as well.

Let me know if I didn't answer your question.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- I used 5mm, 2mm, and 1.5mm styrene sheets for various parts.
- I used various sized styrene tubes for some parts and filled them with Aves Apoxy modeling putty to fill them in.
- I used a 10mm (i think) solid square styrene rod for the trigger and swivel part (where spring attaches to trigger). I sanded down the trigger to slope like the prop does.
- I used the Aves Apoxy putty to fill in the mechanism with spring attached as well as over some plastic curved strips to get the thickness of the "bracelet" parts.

I started with the cartridges. Once I decided on a height, length, and width I cut all 6 sides out of the styrene sheets. Then, I glued them together in their shape. I filled them with left over sculpy clay I had laying around to add structural strength and some weight to the cartridges. From there, I built the cartridge holders around the cartridges.

I decided on measurements based on best guess using a known object (the RC ball joints I had in hand) and guestimated based on the pictures and what worked best for my son's wrists and hands. That was the difficult part. It was like reconstructing a crime scene.

From there, I decided on measurements for other parts based on what was decided for the cartridges and many pictures I pulled from this thread and other spots online. Built the rest of the components off of each previous piece made.

I made all joints that swivel using styrene tubing reinforced with brass tubing inside for strength.

As you can see from the pics, the "grey" or none white parts is the Aves Apoxy I used.

This link is for the name of the ball joints that are on the actual prop.
https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...RoCIYUQAvD_BwE

You can show the picture at your local hobby shop that sells models, trains, and RC parts. Hobby Lobby and Michael's will not have them.

The rest of the bolts, tubing, etc I got from Home Depot. I went with nylon washers and thin nylon filler washer to make the trigger "button". I used nylon washers since I knew even my awesome gel super glue wouldn't keep a metal washer and plastic rod secure. I filled in any gaps from the washers glued to the square rod with Aves Apoxy.

I used Aves Apoxy putty to fill in as many seams as I could on the parts that needed to look like a single thickness or general gaps in the seams that the super glue didn't fill during the build.

I hope I answered your questions appropriately. If not, I can expand on specifics as best I can without pictures.

Attachments

• RC Ball Joint.jpg
    RC Ball Joint.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 427
  • web shooters 4.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 679
  • web shooters 3.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 969
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back