D.VA Nerf Gun (Build In Progress)

With Blizzard and Hasbro going on a joint venture I thought I should probably post my Nerf Gun build which I've already been working on for six months. Way to steal my thunder guys. :rolleyes

The plan was to build a replica pistol of Overwatch's tiny Korean gremlin, D.VA Except this thing was going to move like in the game and fire Nerf Darts. Simple enough until I actually watched D.VA's pistol animation, it fires like a cannon rather than a pistol.

Step one, make a pretty CAD model in fusion 360, everyone loves pretty CAD models.

DVA Render 2.png

This thing is being 3D printed as there's no way I could make this mechanism out of MDF and Foam. There were a lot of parts.

DSC_0655.JPG

And that's not even HALF of them.

Because I had to scale it up to fit a Nerf dart out the barrel it got a little big.

DSC_0671.JPG

The plan to make the barrel move like a cannon is to attach the front barrel to the hammer at the back with rods. The whole Nerf firing mechanism fits in between. Simples :p

DSC_0673.JPGDSC_0672.JPG

DSC_0677.JPG

The Spring mechanism is soley to replicate the motion of the pistol firing. As For the Nerf darts, they're flung out using flywheels and a pusher connected to the trigger.

DSC_0734.JPG

This is the third design I came up with, You don't want to see the first design, we don't speak of that design :facepalm

And LEDs of course because LEDs

DSC_0810.JPGDSC_0806.JPG

As the Nerf Darts (or any kind of bullet for that matter) couldn't squeeze from the magazine to the chamber, the Nerf darts are stored in that weird bottom lobe and the magazine acts as battery storage.

DSC_0811.JPG

Which Brings us to a test fire

Got a little ways to go then :p I'll widen the barrel a bit and juice up the motors. There's a lot of little changes I'd like to make to the insides too so I'll make a new prototype which will hopefully be the finished version. There were a few different designs and ideas I tried, mostly to do with the placememnt of the motors but this post is big enough as it is so if you want to see more or check out more up to date WIP shots check out my facebook www.facebook.com/optimisticgeometry/

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Finally finished. Wow that was a lot of work. It could still do with some improvement. Especially the shot power but I think that'll do for now.

I made a whole bunch of changes from the last prototype. most ridiculous of which was making that dam barrel move. I had to split it up into spikes and make it slid between each other.
View attachment 837445View attachment 837444

Added some stronger magnets to make the Battery clip stick better

View attachment 837446View attachment 837447

Wired up more than double the amount of LEDs I had before. The diffusion still needs improved though.

View attachment 837448View attachment 837449

And I did a lot though admittedly very rushed amount of spray painting and air brushing.

DSC_0893.JPGDSC_0894.JPGDSC_0895~2.JPGDSC_0896~2.JPGDSC_0900.JPG

I think the finish could be improved but it's not bad considering I was in a rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back