Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Perhaps, KK will now shift her attention to what the people really want. Another film about Ewoks! Sure, we have Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor..but is that enough?!

Do we know how Wicket got his iconic spear? Or what creature he killed and skinned for his leather hood? And what about his famous catchphrase “yub yub”? True fans who’ve loved this character for 30-plus years deserve to finally find out what Wicket’s middle initial W means, and to see that amazing moment when he first met Chief Chirpa.

Maybe this was mentioned and I missed it, but my friend and I were thinking how lame the fuel aspect was introduced in TLJ and here they tried to drive it home in solo as it being a thing, but what would you guys have them go after to make it valuable instead of "hyperfuel"? We both thought it was dumb considering there has been 6 movies spanning a lot of time in the franchise and there has never been any fuel mentioned EVER.

I always assumed it was something like nuclear power.
A little rod the size of a crayon that will power a ship for a decade.
Like the US Navy's nuclear powered subs, that can power around the world's oceans for 7 years without having to refuel.

We'll know more in a few days, probably, but current tracking has Solo doing $103M domestically over its opening weekend. Yes, that's below initial and revised projections, but it's still the biggest Memorial Day opening in several years, even up against Deadpool 2, which is going strong, and Infinity War, which still has good legs a month after release.

"Yeah! Solo bombed at the box office! That'll show... someone...?"

Disney? Disney doesn't care. They backed both Infinity War and Solo. IW is making bank, so they're good. They knew the budget issues when they authorized the reshoots on Solo. They knew before doing so that that would pretty much ensure it wasn't a wildly profitable film, at the least. I expect they are also happy the film from the company they are in the process of acquiring is doing well, too.

Lucasfilm? They already knew there were issues with Solo -- hence the change of directors and the reshoots. I definitely think a lack of cohesive creative direction at LFL is an ongoing issue. JJ had a lot of freedom in telling TFA the way he wanted (which is its own issue), but then no one held Rian to that when they let him do TLJ his way. Both Rogue One and Solo have had "hey, wait, maybe we should do it this way instead!" moments well into filming that blew the schedule and the budget to hell. By this point, even if they're not flat out eating crow, they are having heated discussions behind closed doors. No way to know what the results of that will be, but it ain't news to them by this point.

If, by some chance, Solo were to perform so badly they scrubbed the sequel, shelved Kenobi and Fett, pushed back IX pending a serious re-think, back-burnered Favreau, Lord & Miller, and Rian, and the various licensees hunkered down to see what would happen... Yay? No more Star Wars for another generation? Big win.

During the Star Wars Renaissance and Prequel era, we got a lot of content. There were some truly golden nuggets in that mix, but also a lot of clinkers, all in a gravy of meh. I remember a lot of people being put off by Dark Empire. I remember people panning Heir to the Empire for things like Luke not really acting like Luke. I remember the Black Fleet Crisis and the Dark Nest trilogy. I defninitely remember the New Jedi Order. Oy. And not even getting into issues with the Special Editions and Prequels.

I see the same now. Some nuggets, some crap, some meh. A lot of dissent about the relative proportions of each. But there are two things that are always -- always -- going to prevent 100% awesome. The people making Star Wars, all the way back, are doing their best, but are still ordinary, flawed human beings. And whenever there is more than one brain involved, even if it's just George's and an audience member's, they're never going to perfectly agree or understand each other.

So I'm hoping for mitigation, introspection, and some degree of registering the feedback and learning from it. I do not see the sense in crowing over what would lead to scorched-earth desolation.

Maybe this was mentioned and I missed it, but my friend and I were thinking how lame the fuel aspect was introduced in TLJ and here they tried to drive it home in solo as it being a thing, but what would you guys have them go after to make it valuable instead of "hyperfuel"? We both thought it was dumb considering there has been 6 movies spanning a lot of time in the franchise and there has never been any fuel mentioned EVER.

I could have sworn the last time I watched RotS there was a scene where Obi-Wan said something about fueling up his ship. Anyone else catch this?

Perhaps, KK will now shift her attention to what the people really want. Another film about Ewoks! Sure, we have Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor..but is that enough?!

Do we know how Wicket got his iconic spear? Or what creature he killed and skinned for his leather hood? And what about his famous catchphrase “yub yub”? True fans who’ve loved this character for 30-plus years deserve to finally find out what Wicket’s middle initial W means, and to see that amazing moment when he first met Chief Chirpa.

Oh man, I wanna see this. I hope it segues into his first meeting with Leia........badly CGI of course. And I really wanna see how the others got Han, Chewie and Luke on those poles.

:lol You're killing me moo. :lol

Why do people keep thinking fuel was never a concept? We literally saw the x-wings being fueled up prior to the battle of Yavin. In Empire, Han makes mention that Bespin is far but that he thinks they can make it -- a pretty clear implication that ships run on some type of fuel source that is limited.

But...

LITERALLY a dialog exchange in Episode I:
RIC OLIE: There's not enough power to get us to Coruscant - the hyperdrive is leaking.

QUI-GON: We'll have to land somewhere to refuel and repair the ship.

So whether or not you want to like how fuel was used in TLJ, can we please stop perpetuating the utter nonsense that it was never a thing BEFORE that film? Because it's flat wrong.

The whole "you aren't a real fan" if you don't like something Star Wars thing is crap. Just wanted to put that out there.

Not saying that, if that was directed at me. I never have, and don't expect others to, blindly swallow and love everything put out with a Star Wars label on it. But I'd rather they keep working on getting it right than give up because we hate their early efforts without George steering the ship.

Why do people keep thinking fuel was never a concept? We literally saw the x-wings being fueled up prior to the battle of Yavin. In Empire, Han makes mention that Bespin is far but that he thinks they can make it -- a pretty clear implication that ships run on some type of fuel source that is limited.

But...

LITERALLY a dialog exchange in Episode I:
RIC OLIE: There's not enough power to get us to Coruscant - the hyperdrive is leaking.

QUI-GON: We'll have to land somewhere to refuel and repair the ship.

So whether or not you want to like how fuel was used in TLJ, can we please stop perpetuating the utter nonsense that it was never a thing BEFORE that film? Because it's flat wrong.
Oh god ok, let me rephrase it because apparently people are so damn literal on this site.... Why are they making fuel a mcguffin, and central to the plot of the damn movies when it was never necessary before. If you dont know what a Mcguffin is, look it up. Sheesh. I only watched the PT once, so I dont know every line, and still, thats not the main point driving/centered around the whole movie. Man. Youre a smug sob, Ill give you that. Of course fuel as a concept, we are familiar with, cause cmon, a machine needs to run on something, although droids are never seen recharging their batteries, maybe they run on mini black holes that convert sub atomic matter into energy, I dont know. What Im saying is that fuel never drove the damn movie until recently and I think its freaking lazy.

Fuel was a pretty central point in TPM... which when you consider it the "start" of the Saga, makes fuel extremely important to the franchise. The Naboo cruiser's hyperdrive is failing, the fuel is leaking. They have to land on Tatooine. Anakin Skywalker lives on Tatooine. Anakin Skywalker wins money to buy parts and fuel in a race. Anakin Skywalker goes with Naboo cruiser to become a Jedi. Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.

So, no fuel problems = no Anakin = no Darth Vader.

What Im saying is that fuel never drove the damn movie until recently and I think its freaking lazy.

Doing something they haven't done before as a plot point is lazy. Got it. I mean, a weird definition of lazy, but at least I know where you're coming from.

But then again, maybe that explains why some people seem to really like Solo... zero risks.

I tend to agree BUT as I was watching ANH last night I noticed the X-Wings in the hangar before the trench run being fueled up, fueling hoses attached and all. It has been established that there is fuel, it’s never been made a “thing” though. The other problem with TLJ’s use of the needle on “e” besides it being a completely lazy plot device is that spaceships don’t sink when out of gas, and they don’t slow down either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A writer at Forbes is actually trying to make an argument that the film flopped because it has a white male for the leading role!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottm...out-white-men-box-office-poison/#3f69a58d5d49

I guess he is forgetting the first 6 star wars movies....and most of the Marvel movies. 19 movies, and only one protagonist of color (two if you include Hulk). Operation 'Save Kathleen Kennedy' now in full effect.

It failed because it's just an average film that next to nobody wanted to begin with.

R2 was recharged in TESB. Luke: "Are you ready for some power?"

Fuel as a mcguffin isn't a problem for me. My problem was the retarded chase in TLJ.
Youre right, I forgot about that. But again, what Im getting at, is that it never drove the movie in a way that TLJ and Solo made it.
Zuiun Youre not getting what Im saying. I just think its a lazy way of moving the plot along, when it was never needed before. Does that mean they are out of ideas, or does it mean they are lazy? I like to think its that they are lazy and the overlords(lucasfilm/Disney) have a schedule to keep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't say it's lazy. Fuel was never an issue before because that's not where those stories went. Fuel being a scarce and valuable commodity isn't lazy writing. Hell having the Resistance run low on fuel wasn't lazy either, it adds a dilemma and makes things more realistic. The laziness comes in with the slow speed chase, with the FO ships just following along just outside weapons range. Like they can't catch up? They can't shoot at ships that are right over there? They sent fighters after them once, why not continue with that?

Just dumb beyond belief :facepalm

I saw the plot of TLJ on tv the first time when it was filmed with a white bronco.

Back to Solo though, I enjoyed the film and will buy it on BD. I had fun watching a star Wars movie and didn’t leave theatre mad. What a novel concept. It’s a shame that it’s suffering because of TLJ but Disney was asking to disenfranchise “older” fans because apparently they don’t think that’s where the money is. Maybe they should rethink that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back