Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Saw the movie again, this makes it 3. I can honestly say the movie is still good and I know I'll get looked at like I'm crazy saying it, but this movie in a few years will be regarded as one of the best Star Wars films since the originals and that it's also a good companion to them.

I liked it too. But it had problems. Lots of problems. I don't know if it will ever be ragarded as one of the best Star Wars films since the originals though. I think that ship has sailed until we can get a Star Wars film that introduces an entirely new cast and an entirely new narrative circumstance that is compelling and intelligent, and does not rely on the past films in any way shape or form.

I still believe that all of Solo's sins could have been forgiven if they had just cast an actor who could convey the easy charisma, swagger, and danger of a young Harrison Ford. And I don't have any actor in mind.

I can see plenty of problems with the film if I really want to but at the end of the day, I have to ask myself how the film made me feel.
I didn't leave Solo feeling like I'd been punched in the gut.
Leaving TLJ, I did.
That's why I tell people that even though Justice League wasn't an amazing movie, it was better than TLJ, it left me feeling good, not like someone had run over my dog and raped my wife.
Was Solo necessary?
Nope
But it was a fairly fun ride and while I can admit that it somewhat diminishes his character (he suddenly did everything cool we've heard about over the course of a weekend) I'm actually OK with that to a degree.
I DO have a problem with randoMcImperial officer giving him his surname. Why was that even a thing?
Chewie eating manflesh? really?
Han SPEAKING Wookiee? I get that he understands it but did he NEED to speak it?
I felt like he should have known Lando for a longer period of time than was shown.. like they went WAY back instead of just running a semi-ill-fated job but who am I?
Anyway, none of these things or any other minor nitpicks I have ruined the film for me.. I still enjoyed it while being fully aware that it didn't need to be made.
We learned everything we needed to in his initial introduction in ANH.

Saw the movie again, this makes it 3. I can honestly say the movie is still good and I know I'll get looked at like I'm crazy saying it, but this movie in a few years will be regarded as one of the best Star Wars films since the originals and that it's also a good companion to them.

I don't think your too crazy

Some late-game thoughts...

Regarding box-office performance. First of all, for those decrying how it lost $50 million or -- impressively -- $150 million. Or more. Nooo...? As of yesterday, its worldwide gross was $391.3 million. With a final-with-reshoots budget around $250-$275 million, it's made that back, even if not the (feeble) marketing costs. I don't know enough about that end of things to speculate. I also don't know what the original budget was before L&M got booted, but some estimates are that bringing in Howard for the frantically-accelerated reshoots as much as doubled the budget. So it definitely made back -- and doubled -- that original budget. That's a win for most movies, but because of the problems around Solo, it's more of a wash. From there it gets into murkier guessing games. How much less would it have made if L&M had finished the movie their way (the surviving L&M bits are some of the worst in the film, IMO)? How much more if Howard had been on from the get-go (same proviso)?

There are other factors, too, in comparing it to other Star Wars films. The world the OT and PT were released in no longer exists. The OT was largely unavailable to us plebes until the mid-'80s when more people were starting to have VCRs. My aunt and uncle were videophiles who had a laser-disc player, so I actually got to watch them other than in theatrical re-releases up until I was able to get my own set of video tapes in the late '80s (pan-and-scan at first -- it was a shock compared to what I was used to watching). So the box office for, say, the original film includes the re-release in '78, the re-release in '79, the re-release in '80... all the way up to the Special Edition in '97. For the Prequels, those came out the week before Memorial Day, but were in theaters until October. And TPM's take got a modest bump from the 3D release. By contrast, with the DVDs coming out so soon after release, their availability on streaming services, and so forth, that's had an impact on how many people still go out to movies, period. I'm still hoping to get to at least one more theatrical viewing of Solo, but it's only playing in two theaters within two hours of me, so I don't know if it's going to happen. There were missteps on the production an dmarketing end, yes, but also other factors playing into its box-office performance. The last showing I saw was in St. Paul, Minnesota, at the end of June, mid-week, mid-day, and the theater was 2/3-3/4 full.

Regarding his last name. I actually liked that. He still has extended family out there, probably, but we don't know who they are. Whatever warm feelings he might have had for his dad when he was younger, how the man coped after being laid off from CEC apparently soured things badly between them. We don't know whether his dad died (and, presumably, his mother), but he was either orphaned or ran away sometime prior to his teens. The impression is that he's been with Proxima's gang for a while, at 16. A nonzero number of militaries in history (and even a few today) let people enlist without documanetation, even running away from their pasts. The Swedish army had (and still has, to a degree) a practice of assigning a non-Scandinavian surname to people to avoid the obvious issues of a whole platoon full of Jonsons, Johanssons, Jonassons, etc. That's actually where my last name came from, five generations removed.

It also plays into old material. I need to go back and re-read, but it was in one of the OT movie novelizations or one of Brian Daley's Han Solo novels. Someone was pondering the ramifications of his last name. "Solo. Alone." And how he was no longer alone. I find it a nice nod, that maybe it was actually deliberately so, in-universe.

Regarding L3, including vis-à-vis Lando. There's a long-running history in the ancillary material of droids objecting to being treated like furniture that (sometimes) talks. All the way back to stuff in th e'80s, there have been droids-rights movements, droid rebellions, etc. It's germane. As for her relationship with Lando, it was obvious on first viewing, and became moreso with each subsequent, that it's projected on her part. He appreciates her navigational skills, and puts up with the rest. But he is obviously more embarrassed by her quirks when others are around. She's been around for a while, and has had relationships with other organics -- but, again, we don't know if those were "real" or also projected on her part. People with delusions truly see the world differently. Either way, she and Lando were close colleagues. That's it. Nothing sexual. Yes, she was jealous and possessive. Remember -- she was the one in the relationship, there, not him.

Regarding Lando's sexuality. There was nothing explicit or implicit in the film itself. I would be profoundly unsurprised if he turned out to be a Captain Jack Harkness of the Star Wars universe, attracted to the person, regardless of the chromosome set or fur or claws or feathers or what-have-you. But what we saw was a consummate con man. Remember the "con" in that term is short for "confidence", being the trait they exude to sucker people. Which he does. A con man flirts with the universe. Those who are naturally charming do well, as it's an essential job skill. Some people point to his "you're adorable" to Han as an indicator of attraction. But in the context of the sabacc game, it fits the byplay between them of two card-players each maintaining a cool, carefree, vaguely condescending demeanor for their opponent. That was the same kind of "you're adorable" as this one:

image?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2FP87Nys7.jpg

Regarding the "believability" of Enfys Nest. For the majority of our history as a species, we had rites of passage to adulthood at puberty. This has contemporary echoes still in things like the Jewish Bar/Bat Mitzvah at 13. Historically, that was when someone publicly declared they were ready to take their place in that society as an adult and be treated as such. Harsh/primitive environments and "warrior cultures" are more likely to practice this sort of thing. In-universe, the Mandalorians were such a society (and at the time of the films, many in the fringes of their sector still are), with toddlers being trained to shoot and fight and being considered adults by their mid-teens. Enfys isn't Mandalorian, but representatives of other warrior cultures are in her group, so no stretch to say she's from one such, and would have been training to be a warrior since she was two years old. Casting an Irish actress is appropriate, given much of their history is as such a culture.

Reason I find her believable? Have a dear friend who had been taking tae kwon do for most of her life. As of her tweens, was consistently placing in the top three nationally in tournaments. Was also the only girl in her hockey league. Player on the other team once tried to feel her up during a body check (early bloomer, in that department). Her instinctive reaction landed him on the ice with an arm broken in three places. And she was younger than Enfys at the time.

And regarding a Certain Someone's appearance at the end. Yes, it helps to have been watching the cartoons and been reading the comics to know more solidly what's led to that point, but the Mysterious Return has been a trope in serial fiction since forever. Including bad guys who were even more definitively dead. Often there's no explanation for their very-much-not-dead state when they show up again. The audience just took it as read that the villain was preternaturally capable and tough and thus even more scary.

There are things I would have liked to have seen handled differently, yes. But overall, it's about on par with ROTJ with me, and for many of the same pros and cons.

Last edited:
I confess I still haven't watched this movie but Jenny's review confirms just about every one of my biggest fears.
I'll get around to watching it for myself but it's pretty damning.

Last edited by a moderator:
While it's not likely to ever happen, the best way to ensure sales in it's video release, would be to include an uncensored look at the film's production, including the firing of Lord & Miller and the re shoots. Unfortunately all we're likely to see is the usual behind the scenes lovefest that Disney wants us to believe all the post Lucas films have been.

Some late-game thoughts...

Regarding box-office performance. First of all, for those decrying how it lost $50 million or -- impressively -- $150 million. Or more. Nooo...? As of yesterday, its worldwide gross was $391.3 million. With a final-with-reshoots budget around $250-$275 million, it's made that back, even if not the (feeble) marketing costs. I don't know enough about that end of things to speculate. I also don't know what the original budget was before L&M got booted, but some estimates are that bringing in Howard for the frantically-accelerated reshoots as much as doubled the budget. So it definitely made back -- and doubled -- that original budget. That's a win for most movies, but because of the problems around Solo, it's more of a wash. From there it gets into murkier guessing games. How much less would it have made if L&M had finished the movie their way (the surviving L&M bits are some of the worst in the film, IMO)? How much more if Howard had been on from the get-go (same proviso)?

As a note for movie "profits"...

Please remember that, one whole, a theatrically released film gets about 50% of the box office gross profit. Disney really strong-armed theaters in 2017 by insisting on a HIGHER percentage of the theater's' take, or they would NOT get TLJ to show. Many theaters simply declined to show the film at all. It was a "I have altered the deal... pray I don't alter it any further" type moment.

Studios take a higher percentage of the $$ the first week, with a decreasing amount for the remaining theatrical release run of the film. As just an example:

"Star Galaxy Trek Wars Infinity number 15" gets released to theaters.
Week one: Studio/distributor gets %80, movie theater gets %20 of the ticket revenue
Week two: 70%/30% split
Week #3: 60%/40% split
.... and so on

Overall, it ends up that studios get ABOUT 50% of the ticket sales. Foreign percentages are different.
So, if Solo was let's say $400 million overall ($300 million including reshoots, and $100 in marketing), then the film has to GROSS $800 MILLION before Lucasfilm/ Disney breaks even (because they will only get half of the $800 million in revenue, or $400 million). And DVD/digital/blu-ray only gets you so much additional $$$. Which is why there is SO MUCH STRESS to hit these huge numbers.

And speaking of which: China has become a HUGE audience for ticket sales and revenue with U.S. films. . For example, Terminator:Genisys Made more in China than in the U.S., but was still a box office "failure" in that it probably didn't return its costs to the studio.

AND... let's not forget the creative accounting that studios use to maneuver the loss to different departments involved in production.

So while TLJ was a box office success, it still made HALF of what TFA made 2 years prior (one billion versus 2 billion)

My 2 cents? SOLO should have been a $100 million dollar film, plain and simple. So that a $400 million worldwide take would have been respectable AND profitable.

And it's still a little weird to call them "films" nowadays. Although many movies are still shot on film stock, modern theaters actually receive digital copies on hard disk drives, which are plugged into digital projector consoles and authenticated by online connection to display on the screen. There is no "film" any more... :(

And it's still a little weird to call them "films" nowadays. Although many movies are still shot on film stock, modern theaters actually receive digital copies on hard disk drives, which are plugged into digital projector consoles and authenticated by online connection to display on the screen. There is no "film" any more... :(

This summer I was an extra for an upcoming film starring Mia Wasikowska (she played Alice in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland), and guess what, they shot it on actual FILM.
But yeah, going to a movie theater complex means digital film only, these days.

So finally saw this on the plane over from the US. it deserved to fail. It was boring and pointless with no surprises what so ever and a lead that bares no physical resemblance or personality to the character hes meant to be.

just watched this movie. It was good and I think will age well. I'm quite surprised by the hate. oh well. to each their own.

The movie wasn't Bad, it just wasn't great. It was okay, and by any name other than Star Wars, it would have been a bigger success. But it didn't really do anything. I didn't like how some random Imperial recruited just gave him the surname Solo because he had no people, especially when Han talks about his father later on. Felt like something was missed. I felt L3-37 (geek speak for "elite") was anything but. The whole Droid freedom movement was bizarre. Perhaps it's because I'm a fan of BattleBots, but I thought the gladiator Gonk was awesome.

Lando is a let down, and I didn't care a whit for Qi'ra. When she flys off, I shrugged and said oh well. I didn't find her interesting. Lando, for the most part, while acted well, I didn't feel he lived up to his potential.

I'll pick up the Blu-ray, and give it a full re-watch (more than I did for TLJ). Maybe it'll improve with repeat viewings.

As a note for movie "profits"...

Please remember that, one whole, a theatrically released film gets about 50% of the box office gross profit. Disney really strong-armed theaters in 2017 by insisting on a HIGHER percentage of the theater's' take, or they would NOT get TLJ to show. Many theaters simply declined to show the film at all. It was a "I have altered the deal... pray I don't alter it any further" type moment.

Studios take a higher percentage of the $$ the first week, with a decreasing amount for the remaining theatrical release run of the film. As just an example:

"Star Galaxy Trek Wars Infinity number 15" gets released to theaters.
Week one: Studio/distributor gets %80, movie theater gets %20 of the ticket revenue
Week two: 70%/30% split
Week #3: 60%/40% split
.... and so on

Overall, it ends up that studios get ABOUT 50% of the ticket sales. Foreign percentages are different.
So, if Solo was let's say $400 million overall ($300 million including reshoots, and $100 in marketing), then the film has to GROSS $800 MILLION before Lucasfilm/ Disney breaks even (because they will only get half of the $800 million in revenue, or $400 million). And DVD/digital/blu-ray only gets you so much additional $$$. Which is why there is SO MUCH STRESS to hit these huge numbers.

And speaking of which: China has become a HUGE audience for ticket sales and revenue with U.S. films. . For example, Terminator:Genisys Made more in China than in the U.S., but was still a box office "failure" in that it probably didn't return its costs to the studio.

AND... let's not forget the creative accounting that studios use to maneuver the loss to different departments involved in production.

So while TLJ was a box office success, it still made HALF of what TFA made 2 years prior (one billion versus 2 billion)

My 2 cents? SOLO should have been a $100 million dollar film, plain and simple. So that a $400 million worldwide take would have been respectable AND profitable.

I find it interesting today they use basically that type of calculation to determine profits. Especially on something like this. No seeming accounting for home dvd/br/4k/digital sales, licensing, etc.

With the prequels, LFL signed a BILLION dollar licensing deal before TPM was completed. They profitted on that trilogy before the first one was released. But, the only thing to determine it's profit is/was ticket sales at theaters only. It's like everything outside the theater is gravy and doesn't really count. I

I'm not saying Solo turns a profit with that money, but who knows. I doubt they got 3-400M in licensing, but pushing 100 wouldn't seem out of bounds. And that starts narrowing the gap pretty quick and doesn't account for home video of whatever sort.

The movie wasn't Bad, it just wasn't great. It was okay, and by any name other than Star Wars, it would have been a bigger success. But it didn't really do anything. I didn't like how some random Imperial recruited just gave him the surname Solo because he had no people, especially when Han talks about his father later on. Felt like something was missed. I felt L3-37 (geek speak for "elite") was anything but. The whole Droid freedom movement was bizarre. Perhaps it's because I'm a fan of BattleBots, but I thought the gladiator Gonk was awesome.

You should probably actually read my post at the top of the page. I address all of those. ;)

Just watched Solo on video.

It was alright. Not as good as The Last Jedi, but it was alright.

It just really picks up once they get to Kessel (or arguably when they introduce Dryden Vos) but until then it was a bit boring.

Interesting cut scene with Solo as TIE pilot:

https://ew.com/movies/2018/09/12/solo-deleted-scene-han-trial-crashing-tie-fighter/

I both like and dislike this scene
+ Fills in some gaps/missing time
+ I like seeing Imperial beuacrassy
- TIE Fighter pilot without full helmet is just all wrong. Yes, I understand they wanted to show the actors face but this could have been somuch better artistically done such as Tony Stark inside the Iron Man suit.
- Interior TIE Fighter cockpit looks like an operating room
- Hans cocky humor waaaay overdone here

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back