Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
I have to say that I was taken out of the film a bit with the chain smoking grannie, aka Lady Proxima scene.
View attachment 820109

Also, every time Dryden was on the screen, I was hoping someone would hand him some moisturizer. That has to itch.
View attachment 820110

Totally understand your comments but I wasn't really bothered much by them.

I actually enjoyed Lady Proxima. The character was like a puppet out of The Dark Crystal and I miss that kind of creature in a fantasy setting. Sorta freeky and cheesy at the same time :) she may have been CGI or partially so, but totally gave off the puppet vibe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I can not believe how many people likes Solo and how many people craps all over Rogue One on this forum!! The droid rights bullcrap in Solo is so laughably cringe-inducing it's almost unbelievable. The sequel to this movie will have the droids overthrowing the humans throughout the galaxy which will lead to a war with the machines and oops, plagiarism.

Liked it far more than TLJ, so I was pleasantly surprised as I had low expectations. Few quick questions: did I hear the mention of Bossk and Aurra Sing? Couldn't quite make the audio out a few times but thought they mentioned them. Also was this 'Rebellion' the actual foundings of the rebel alliance? I thought the alliance was starting out with Mon Mothma after Rots, and then we see more of it in SW Rebels etc, is this related to that, or just a separate faction or unrelated to it all?

The idea set up in Rebels is that there were tiny pockets of resistance all over the galaxy ranging from terrorists, to liberators, to sabatuers, etc. They were unorganized disparate groups until Mon Mothma and Bail Organa began to unite them, first as individual cells with no connection to each other, to later becoming the full fledged Alliance with a unified military and political clout.

Well, here is the box office: www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm

This probably means that there will not be sequels to Solo, and that the Boba and Obi wan movies will be put on hold as well .

If Solo had been a bad film then fair enough ,but it wasn't, and I've got to admit that now saddens me. I was deeply worried by what was said about it prior to release , but at least I went and I did enjoy it. I felt it was a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Well, here is the box office: www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=untitledhansolostarwarsanthologyfilm.htm

This probably means that there will not be sequels to Solo, and that the Boba and Obi wan movies will be put on hold as well .

If Solo had been a bad film then fair enough ,but it wasn't, and I've got to admit that now saddens me. I was deeply worried by what was said about it prior to release , but at least I went and I did enjoy it. I felt it was a step in the right direction.

I hope positive word-of-mouth builds regarding this. It was quite disappointing to see how empty the theater was although understandable considering the backlash to TLJ. I almost wasn't going to see it, but I'm so glad I did.

It was such an enjoyable space-western, and I would hope and expect a samurai-inspired Obi-Wan film would coincide well with further western-inspired Fett and Solo films.

I wouldn’t be so quick to make that call. Regardless of the final numbers they aren’t going to shelve new productions. They have a very aggressive schedule for releases and a new streaming service to feed. One single films profitability won’t alter that. As you said, word of mouth for Solo is pretty positive and that’s very important as well.

I wouldn’t be so quick to make that call. Regardless of the final numbers they aren’t going to shelve new productions. They have a very aggressive schedule for releases and a new streaming service to feed. One single films profitability won’t alter that. As you said, word of mouth for Solo is pretty positive and that’s very important as well.
I agree.

It's a shame TLJ tainted movie-goers and fans taste for more SW. SOLO is really such a fun movie.

It's not the SW we asked for but it's good, maybe better than it should be. Ron Howard pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I here what you are saying Bryan but you can schedule all the films and TV series you like, but if people don't want to watch them, well, then why bother making them?
A cheap movie these days is considerated $100 million. Moderate $150 million, expensive $200 million plus. IF Solo has cost the reported $250 million to reshoot and about the same to market and it makes back (on these figures) barely half of that, then that is a stonking loss off the bottom line.
You are a business analyst . Would you live with that? The answer is probably no. Another flop on that scale and you are talking half a billion in losses. Prime candidate for that would be Rian Johnsons new trilogy. And does the SW franchise need to flood all areas of the entertainment arena like this ,with so much content.
I think the answer is probably no.
Why?
There is another factor at work that I didn't consider when I wrote my analysis , but its fairly relevant. I was listening to the radio today and there was a very strong conversation about kids and game addictions and their effect on families and social interactions.
There is, for example, a game called "Fortnite" where parents are having to severely ration the playing times because literally every waking hour would otherwise be spent on it. Its like crack for kids, particularly boys. Even some parents ended up being pulled into it. And apparently their whole social life on line revolves around it as well.
I've never heard of it but I looked it up and its popularity is staggering. I enjoy some games but I'm not a huge player but the figures for just this one games participation are huge,and its in exactly the same demographic that old SW fans used to be.
They had a psychologist on describing exactly how the games are designed by the companies to hit the emotional reward circuits of the brain, and because of that it superceeds all the old entertainment formats by a mile in terms of an intense experience, so much so in youngsters almost their entire free time social indentity is absorbed into this kind of community.
And I thought "Well ,that used to be SW and thats probably why many SW toys aren't selling any more. Its just too old fashioned."
As a fan of SW i'd welcome alot of whats being made but I am a fan. But if they are going to keep them in profit and popular they are going to have to make them for less, shoot them just the once and write them well enough to sustain the paying publics interest.
And in a world full of social media based distractions and on line worlds , thats going to be a hard thing to pull off. One of the parents interviewed actually said they were grateful that their kids would be playing this all week over the half term because its was miles cheaper than taking them out anywhere and they didn't have to worry what else they were doing.

I here what you are saying Bryan but you can schedule all the films and TV series you like, but if people don't want to watch them, well, then why bother making them?
A cheap movie these days is considerated $100 million. Moderate $150 million, expensive $200 million plus. IF Solo has cost the reported $250 million to reshoot and about the same to market and it makes back (on these figures) barely half of that, then that is a stonking loss off the bottom line.
You are a business analyst . Would you live with that? The answer is probably no. Another flop on that scale and you are talking half a billion in losses. Prime candidate for that would be Rian Johnsons new trilogy. And does the SW franchise need to flood all areas of the entertainment arena like this ,with so much content.
I think the answer is probably no.

Bryan is right in that they aren't going to shelve all their plans instantly. We were talking about this in another thread, but Star Wars movies aren't paying by the same rules. Normally, yes, profit to cost disparity would definitely be a black mark on a franchise, but for Star Wars, Disney has a lot of other factors in mind. Most importantly, is brand awareness. Having ANY SW movie increasing their exposure, which helps drive merch sales, theme park interest, etc. They aren't making, marketing, and selling a movie, they are keeping one of the biggest brands in entertainment alive.

That's why they did such extensive reshoots knowing it would make it much harder to turn a profit.

So Solo not performing as well as expected isn't an automatic death nell for the franchise. Look at Marvel, Hulk and Iron Man two weren't what they wanted, but they kept pushing with their plan. Star Wars doesn't have quite the same narrative plan, but it is more about the whole than a single film.

People seem to be convinced Rian trilogy is dead because we haven't heard anything and fandom is mad. But TLJ made money, and they only announced his trilogy 6 months ago. They aren't even in preproduction and he's likely barely got a first draft done. There's nothing to hear about yet.

At this point, nothing is in danger.

THAT said-- if there is a string of financial failures things will definitely change. Disney is never going to shutter the franchise, they've invested too much. What they would do, is grant every fan-baby's dream and replace Kennedy, but only IF they continually fail to make money. At this point, with theme park expansions alone, Disney has made a big investment so they aren't likely to stop.

I also think Solo suffered from coming out a little too close to TLJ, and it's a movie a lot fo people didn't think they'd need to see. Now that we have to wait a year and half for Episode 9, at least 3-4 years for an entry from Rian or the GoT guys, and another year or so for the TV show, maybe some breathing room will help.

Point being, there's a lot in the works and it would take more than one poor performing film to stop the machine.

Ventress would have been cooler than maul

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Well having read up this afternoon on how and why Maul would appear in the Solo Movie, i have a theory ................................ the introduction of Maul (which i now conceed to be true) is actually setting up the antagonist for the Obi Wan stand alone movie .....................

Well having read up this afternoon on how and why Maul would appear in the Solo Movie, i have a theory ................................ the introduction of Maul (which i now conceed to be true) is actually setting up the antagonist for the Obi Wan stand alone movie .....................

Except they already had this showdown in Rebels. Normally I's day they wouldn't care about what happen in a cartoon in making a movie, but everything that informed Maul's appearance in Solo was based on material fromTCW/ Rebels-- his robot legs, his lightsaber, his growing criminal organization, etc.

Except they already had this showdown in Rebels. Normally I's day they wouldn't care about what happen in a cartoon in making a movie, but everything that informed Maul's appearance in Solo was based on material fromTCW/ Rebels-- his robot legs, his lightsaber, his growing criminal organization, etc.

with that in mind then, IMHO he has no place in a Han Solo story if it were to continue

I agree! At first I was all "OMG COOL!" Then I was like "Wait whaaaaaat?"

When we see him in rebels he is broken and desperate with his hatred for Ben as bad as ever, someone has to break him.
Couldn't they meet again as long as it wasn't on Tatooine?

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back