Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Solo.jpg

TLJ was absolute garbage. It’s the only piece of entertainment that has personally negatively affected my life.

But TLJ really somehow actually damaged my childhood. Destroyed my favorite character completely. I can’t even watch the OT.

I totally get dissatisfaction with a film.

I also totally support the right to an opinion.

But if you LITERALLY mean that TLJ negatively affected your life... and that you now can't watch something that you grew up with...then I think you need to seriously re evaluate your life.

I am as passionate about movies and stories as anyone. But those movies--and the like or dislike of steps that they take--do not impact my LIFE. I am not negatively affected in my life because of a movie.

If you are... then all i can say is you might want to adjust your perspective because that is going to lead to one unhappy life... and one that is completely out of your hands to control.

Are we still complaining about Alden Ehrenreich? He was perfectly fine. Have any of you SEEN the movie who are still mad about his casting?

Yes, of course I saw it. He was terrible.

If I was in charge of casting a 20-something Han Solo, he is one of the last guys in Hollywood I would have considered for the role--somewhere between Malcolm In The Middle's Frankie Muniz, and Kenneth the page from 30 Rock.

Nonsense. Their material still has the same integrity it always had.

And anyone actually familiar with their shows knows when they are doing a bit and when they are in real discussion.

I never questioned the integrity of their material. I only pointed out that the show's become unbearable to watch.

And as for being able to tell when they're being sarcastic or sincere, who cares if devout fans of the show like you can easily sort that out. Take a bow for your RLMIQ. But these guys want new viewers, and I'm tellin' ya, they ain't gonna get 'em if they don't trim the fat from their episodes, and make it more clear when they're breaking Disney's balls.

Every time I hear 'SWIQ' it sounds more pretentious, as if folks who didn't live and breathe the OT like we did as kids can't have a valid opinion on what makes Star Wars what it is. Does it have a certain hard to describe quality that sets it apart? Sure. Does your assumed ability to quantify that in your own mind make you any more or less qualified in your opinion? Nah. I don't think so.
Was Solo the second coming? No (would that it were), but I never expected it to be and got the fun I wanted out of it. It's a shame that it's not doing better because it's totally watchable.

As for SWIQ, we ALL assume our ability to judge the SWIQs of others. We do it every day on this site. We do it whenever and wherever debate springs up on the topic of Star Wars.

And regarding your last sentence, yesssss, that's we want and deserve, fella--Star Wars movies that are "watchable".

Good grief, the low standard some of you guys have set for Disney's Star Wars films is pathetic.

It's not that boycotters on the internet are having an impact. It's that TLJ was polarizing and divisive... let's be generous and say that at the end of the day, 40% were not happy with the movie. That's millions of people that are in no particular rush to spend money on SW.

The more likely scenario here is that almost no one really saw the point of this movie, so the excitement just wasn't there.

The excitement would've been there, had they cast Anthony Ingruber. Trailers featuring Anthony in the titular role would've had fanboys--myself included--completely stoked to see this movie!

Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Why? Maul was killed off, what the hell is he doing alive and running criminal syndicates, and who in the galaxy gives a s***? And why activate your light saber on a hologram .…*to punctuate your point? Does anyone load a shell in a shotgun or pistol over telephone to make a point to someone? “You’d better behave, or I’ll … [cha-chunk]” “what, you’ll eat a Triscuit?” “No that was my gun.” “Gun? Sounded like a Triscuit. Sandy Duncan would agree with me.” “I’m hanging up now [click]” “Okay, THAT sounded like a gun.”

Dude, that's hilarious! :lol

The Wook

I appreciate that there was lots in TFA/TLJ for fans to get their pants in a twist over.

I’m not sure I can think of ANYthing in SOLO that fans could get upset about (except Maul). (shrug)

You know what's worse than Solo? Fandom. It's getting worse and worse, and this thread is full of examples. I'm more likely to let Star Wars drift from my life not because of the films, but because of the association with how toxic, insular, hateful, and divided the fanbase has become. TLJ certainly contributed to that, as did the PT before it. And while I was a hater in my youth, now, with every passing day, I just can't help but see a bunch of adults letting their lives be effected by a freaking movie.

I look at fandom and I see:

•Child actor Jake Lloyd never working again and clearly on the bad side of a breakdown
•Hayden Christianson quit acting
•George Lucas not want to make any more movies
•Daisy Ridley delete her Instagram
•Kelly Marie Tran leave Instagram

...and a growing contingent of obviously socially consevative people who can't handle diversity or inclusion in their beloved franchise and assume everything is a conspiracy against their beliefs.

I love Star Wars but fandom has reached peak awfulness.

*EDIT: the bullet list is from a viral tweet I felt very much in tune with

Last edited:
I literally wasn't excited enough about this movie to bother buying a ticket until I heard a spoiler about the Maul cameo. My kids and I have loved nerding out over Clone Wars and Rebels, and Maul was an outstanding character on those shows. I'm sorry if some fans don't follow anything but the movies, but to people like me who follow a lot of the ancillary material, including Maul was a HUGE, HUUUUUGE thing, and made me very excited about the "cinematic universe" they may potentially be creating.

You know, if fans don't love SW to death.

Fandom is fine. (I saw almost that exact post on FB earlier...)

People are toxic, and social media is a playground. Star Wars is just another outlet for people to misbehave with. It could easily be something else, anywhere. Marvel, DC, mountain biking, Rock Climbing... all have their share haters and jerks.

(Pretty sure Mr. Lloyd had some other physiological issues at play?)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

You know what's worse than Solo? Fandom. It's getting worse and worse, and this thread is full of examples. I'm more likely to let Star Wars drift from my life not because of the films, but because of the association with how toxic, insular, hateful, and divided the fanbase has become. TLJ certainly contributed to that, as did the PT before it. And while I was a hater in my youth, now, with every passing day, I just can't help but see a bunch of adults letting their lives be effected by a freaking movie.

•Child actor Jake Lloyd never working again and clearly on the bad side of a breakdown

...and a growing contingent of obviously socially consevative people who can't handle diversity or inclusion in their beloved franchise and assume everything is a conspiracy against their beliefs.

Wow. This has got to be one of the best posts I've read all year.
Well done, sir.

HEAR! HEAR!

and made me very excited about the "cinematic universe" they may potentially be creating.

This is spot on.

And it's something that has only recently dawned upon me.

They are aiming to make these new SW materials just like the Marvel Movies.

I have a divided heart about that. One the one hand--being not especially fond of Super Hero movies, I worry that this will mean a gross cheapening of Star Wars going forward. One the other--I think that even though I don't personally love Super Hero Movies and the MCU, I can see that many people do, and that for them it is a very rewarding universe to be a part of. So I'm hopeful that because I love Star Wars I will be able to embrace the "SWCU" as it is built, and will feel the same satisfaction that lots of MCU fans do.

I guess we will see...

This is spot on.

I have a divided heart about that. One the one hand--being not especially fond of Super Hero movies, I worry that this will mean a gross cheapening of Star Wars going forward. One the other--I think that even though I don't personally love Super Hero Movies and the MCU, I can see that many people do, and that for them it is a very rewarding universe to be a part of. So I'm hopeful that because I love Star Wars I will be able to embrace the "SWCU" as it is built, and will feel the same satisfaction that lots of MCU fans do.

I guess we will see...

Yeah I think there is some evidence to suggest these individual character films are less about doing trilogies of them but instead to allow them to cross over into other projects. So they may have not necessarily intended a direct Solo sequel but how Solo could inform and be a part of a Fett film, or Maul a precursor for an Obi-wan film. Very much in the MCU model.

This is spot on.

I guess we will see...

I think the cheapening is inevitable. But now and then a film will stand out above the others (such as Infinity War in the MCU) and rekindle the love, wash away the "fatigue."

At the end of the day, for me, the only SW that "matters" from a cultural, historical, and personal perspective is the (more or less unaltered) OT, 1977-1983. But that doesn't mean I don't crave more Star Wars! I'll take as much as I can get. I love Star Wars, even when it's stupid. It will take a lot more than a few plot holes or off-putting characters to ruin that. It will have to consistently suck, and deeply suck, for a long time. If I was less of a fan, I'd be more likely to walk (I'm done with nuTrek, for instance).

When a franchise gets this big, it helps to think of it like a TV show I think. There will be some weak episodes, but if the overall story is working, that's okay (Breaking Bad). Some franchises are almost entirely comprised of weak episodes, but somehow drag on and on despite their mediocrity, because of the strength of their early promise (Walking Dead). Hopefully Star Wars is the former.

If I was less of a fan, I'd be more likely to walk.

Hey, I was there opening day of Solo--just as I have been for every SW movie--even these SWINO films Disney's making. (SWINO = Star Wars In Name Only)

But I reject your suggestion that folks like @OldKen, @joshvanrad, @Solo, @Mr Webber, and @CessnaDriver--to name just a few--are "less of a fan" than you are, for not seeing Solo.

The Wook

As for SWIQ, we ALL assume our ability to judge the SWIQs of others. We do it every day on this site. We do it whenever and wherever debate springs up on the topic of Star Wars.

And regarding your last sentence, yesssss, that's we want and deserve, fella--Star Wars movies that are "watchable".

No dude, we do not all do that.

Also, the idea that casting Ingruber would have made a big change in how this film was received is wishful thinking at best. No one but a comparative handful of fanboys has any ****s to give about who was cast as Han beyond hoping they liked the end result. We are in the tiniest minority of moviegoers and they do not make these movies just to make us happy.

Fandom is fine. (I saw almost that exact post on FB earlier...)

People are toxic, and social media is a playground. Star Wars is just another outlet for people to misbehave with. It could easily be something else, anywhere. Marvel, DC, mountain biking, Rock Climbing... all have their share haters and jerks.

(Pretty sure Mr. Lloyd had some other physiological issues at play?)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

If it's the same post I saw, yeah-- it obviously struck a chord with me so I folded it into my feelings for sure. Obviously we can't blame everything just on fandom from that list, but it was certainly a contributing factor at the very least.

No dude, we do not all do that.

Also, the idea that casting Ingruber would have made a big change in how this film was received is wishful thinking at best. No one but a comparative handful of fanboys has any ****s to give about who was cast as Han beyond hoping they liked the end result. We are in the tiniest minority of moviegoers and they do not make these movies just to make us happy.

Yes you do. It's human nature. You just don't realize it.

As for Anthony Ingruber, when word came that this movie was happening, I showed a ton of people who were just casual fans, pics of him in Age of Adeline. They freaked out, and said they couldn't wait to see the movie! Then when word came that Spielberg's pet Alden had been cast, I showed pics of him to those same degree of casual fans, followed by pics of Anthony Ingruber, and all of their reactions were a similar, "OMG, are they out of their minds?! Yeah, no, I'll pass.".

And that's just the casual fan reaction. Most hardcore fans were stoked about the prospect of Ingruber playing a young Han.

Trailers featuring Anthony Ingruber would've created such an enormous positive buzz for this film, and Disney would not have a big bomb on their hands right now--even if the movie sucked in all the other ways it sucks.

The Wook

So Ingruber would have lured in everyone who is butthurt over the Last Jedi? Ingruber is all it would have taken to make the peace? (Because I DO think that's why Solo is bombing, TLJ backlash). I think that's a gross oversimplification.

So Ingruber would have lured in everyone who is butthurt over the Last Jedi? Ingruber is all it would have taken to make the peace? (Because I DO think that's why Solo is bombing, TLJ backlash). I think that's a gross oversimplification.

Not every single one in the world, of course not.

But let's just look at the 5 of RPFers I mentioned a few posts up the page. I know that at least 3, and probably 4, and maybe all 5, of them would've gone if Anthony Ingruber was playing Han.

So there's that...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back