Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
yeah I'd have to agree I don't think it's about his acting but it's the bigger picture of the choices that are being made around this new batch of films. SW fatigue is starting to set in with the fanbase (it is with me) as Disney aims for the c+ grade :) (b-?)

Also no disrespect intended to Alden (I'm sure he's reading this thread) I've no doubt he brought his A-game to the job and got all the help and support he could get his hands on.

I don't believe in SW fatigue or any other specific brand fatigue. I believe in general fatigue of bland, boring, or poorly made movies/products.

I think people would line up for 2 or 3 SW movies a year if they were all well made. Just like they do with the MCU.

I felt like Han Solo was the least interesting character in his own movie -- and that's a bad thing.

Nailed it!

I'll kinda buy the argument that the Solo in this movie wasn't supposed to be exactly like the Solo we've come to love.........ok, a bit younger, naive, what have you, I get it. But, there has to be something that makes you feel like he IS a version of Han Solo, and that didn't happen IMO. It just didn't work. I didn't buy that he was Han Solo, 10 years or whatever, before ANH. It worked for Obi-Wan in the prequels (and I won't rehash all my thoughts on that, but that worked because we never knew a young Obi-Wan, ever). We kinda already knew a young Solo, he was in ANH, remember? This just.........didn't.........work. Again, only my opinion.

Last edited:
Nothing that could not have been corrected by utilizing a acting coach. Wait a minute, didn't they have to do that with "the experienced guy" they went with. ;)

Or perhaps that coach was needed to help AE speak as a wookie. Don't think you can just find natural wookie speakers in the yellow pages, but perhaps there might be something on AI's youtube channel? :wacko

It would have been interesting if at the time of the directorial change they also took advantage of that to push the release to December. It would have provided Ron Howard quite a bit of time to finish, although I don't think he rushed out an unfinished project. It would have allowed the marketing to begin more holisticly instead of waiting until TLJ left theaters and had it's home release to begin the campaign. And it would have put more time between the films to allow the fan base to quiet down a bit. That's likely what they are thinking internally playing Monday morning quarterback. I would note that this will not result in any changes in the current management structure at Lucasfilm nor their previously announced future projects. They have an aggressive long term plan for content that will continue and they understand that when you start releasing a film per year or more, there will inevitably be one's that don't perform as well financially. This is the first, there will be others, that's the cost of being in this business. As long as the successes are more frequent then the failures, the franchise and brand is defended and continues to grow.

I know all that Bryan, you lifted a small part of what I said for the quote

I said:
I agree.....I blame it mainly on The Last Jedi

I base that on my son, daughter, their friends & my friends

My kids didn't want to go....they say Star Wars is stupid

My mates didn't want to waste their money,.....theyr'e gonna wait till theres a good screener to watch

J

....but yes,....if the film had the traditional December release, they would have had time to market the film better to try to repair the faith lost in LFL after the 'Last' movie.

I took the kids 3 times to see Infinity War,.....the older one twice to see Deadpool......I had to twist an old mates arm up his back to go see Solo....he goes to see almost anything,...and he considered the film to be not worth seeing in the cinema or buying on home release

Damage has been done with TLJ

J

The "fans" didn't do this.
It's not that boycotters on the internet are having an impact. It's that TLJ was polarizing and divisive... let's be generous and say that at the end of the day, 40% were not happy with the movie. That's millions of people that are in no particular rush to spend money on SW. That is definitely having an impact, and unless Disney is incredibly stupid, they are doing a deep dive into these factors right now.

If that's what you want to believe, more power to you. But there are more casual movie goers than there are Star Wars fans. That's a fact. And they are the ones who drive the ultra high box office numbers. Second weekend fall off or not, The Last Jedi was still pulling money Solo will never see. And the next installment in the trilogy will also pull box office numbers that were never in the cards for Solo. Mark my words.

The ONLY way that Solo would be knocking it out of the park right now is if it were more than a "fine" movie receiving "pretty good" reviews. The reality is, it's a niche entry in Star Wars and it just isn't that good.

The "fans" didn't do this.

I actually laughed when I read "The "fans" didnt do this" but hey, whatever.

It was the fans that got burned after the anticipation that was set up after TFA was completely undermined and unrealised and it was those fans that stayed away in droves from Solo. The fact that the R rated Deadpool 2 did so well in comparison also highlights how the mainstream audience were burned as well. The excitement for Star Wars has been on a downward spiral ever since TLJ but was unable to be quantified until a couple of weeks ago. It has now. This feeling will carry over to Ep Nein. Mark my words. More and more people now couldnt care less how this story wraps up now.

You guys seem to be willfully ignoring the fact that even among the fans, there is not universal dislike for The Last Jedi. At best, it's a 50/50 split. Those who hate it? They simply don't number enough to represent the poor box office performance of Solo.

The more likely scenario here is that almost no one really saw the point of this movie, so the excitement just wasn't there.

Disney's mistake wasn't The Last Jedi. Their mistake was trusting the outlier performance of Rogue One and the box office of The Last Jedi, and using that to justify WAY over-spending on Solo, hoping it would do just as well. Had Disney kept this movie smaller (in terms of budget) as was originally intended, we would not be having conversations about poor performance and no one would be floating theories of some sort of fandom super-power to crash the box office.

It's a mediocre movie performing at a mediocre level. It just had a blockbuster budget behind it.

Just back from seeing it & liked it a lot more than I thought I would.
Felt a little bit like a Solo Q&A though,

Wanna know how he knows Lando? Check

Wanna see him win the falcon? Check

Wanna know why the Falcon looks like a hunk of junk? Check

Wanna see how he knows chewie? Check

Where he gets his blaster? Check

Why he knows empire stuff? Check

Why Han Solo is called Han Solo? Check

How long has he had those suddenly important dice? Check

Han definitely shoots first? Check

Why he's on Tattoonie? Check

& my personal favourite, how he did the kessel run in less than 12 parsecs (a measure of distance), he took a shortcut!

Almost like a live action wiki page.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I'd like to direct everyone's attention to the top of this page showing that 80% of us here liked or loved the movie. Some of you are posting (as you did/do with TLJ) as if the movie was universally loathed. Remember, YOUR opinion is not EVERYONE'S opinion about this film.

I thought it was "pretty good." Would I like if every SW was some kind of knock my socks off religious experience, that it changed my life? Sure. But how can Disney do spinoffs without delving into smaller stories, stories that by their very nature as non-epic, messianic, fate-of-the-universe type tales are going to have less "woah!" factor? Not that small scale stories can't be unbelievably great (one of my favorite movies is Midnight Cowboy...two homeless people get dirty is basically the plot) but...the more of these there are, the less "huge" some of them are inevitably going to be. We can either accept that, or we can demand that each and every movie have a friggin Death Star and a Chosen One, and I, personally, think that's a pretty stale formula.

SW needs to grow as a brand. It needs to evolve. Now perhaps Solo could have been better, yes. But I'd welcome more stories on that scale. Perhaps KK needs to get her act together and the story group needs to stop winging it, fine. But I feel like a few mis-steps are causing some fans to write off the entire enterprise, and that's a shame. I know some of the issue is that TLJ was divisive, but remember, DIVISIVE implies that some people in fact liked it. I liked it a lot.

I'd like to direct everyone's attention to the top of this page showing that 80% of us here liked or loved the movie. Some of you are posting (as you did/do with TLJ) as if the movie was universally loathed. Remember, YOUR opinion is not EVERYONE'S opinion about this film.

I thought it was "pretty good." Would I like if every SW was some kind of knock my socks off religious experience, that it changed my life? Sure. But how can Disney do spinoffs without delving into smaller stories, stories that by their very nature as non-epic, messianic, fate-of-the-universe type tales are going to have less "woah!" factor? Not that small scale stories can't be unbelievably great (one of my favorite movies is Midnight Cowboy...two homeless people get dirty is basically the plot) but...the more of these there are, the less "huge" some of them are inevitably going to be. We can either accept that, or we can demand that each and every movie have a friggin Death Star and a Chosen One, and I, personally, think that's a pretty stale formula.

SW needs to grow as a brand. It needs to evolve. Now perhaps Solo could have been better, yes. But I'd welcome more stories on that scale. Perhaps KK needs to get her act together and the story group needs to stop winging it, fine. But I feel like a few mis-steps are causing some fans to write off the entire enterprise, and that's a shame. I know some of the issue is that TLJ was divisive, but remember, DIVISIVE implies that some people in fact liked it. I liked it a lot.

There has only been a couple of members that have posted that they are done with Star Wars since TLJ came out and no one has said that in either of the Solo threads and certainly nobody has said they wished it to end. Also I dont think anyone has posted that they want the OT over and over again either. Just great stories with well written, strong, compelling characters, two things that many feel have been sadly lacking from the latest efforts but were a benchmark of the OT.

Personally, I have no real interest in anything other than the films and am more than encouraged with the addition of the GoT writers to give us something new. professional and coherent. others arent so optimistic but thats to be expected. I am more convinced than ever that Johnson will not be given the opportunity to once again play his twisted little game of having only half his audience be happy with his efforts.

I was one of the people who said they were done after TLJ.

I haven’t seen solo and won’t pay to see another SW movie until they start making movies with respect to the originals... instead of using them as a 2 hour agenda driven commercials with the Star Wars logo slapped on.

I’ll read opinions when episode IX comes out... but I am in no way hopeful.

TLJ was absolute garbage. It’s the only piece of entertainment that has personally negatively affected my life.

I’m not a fan of the prequels. They weren’t great. But life went on as usual.

But TLJ really somehow actually damaged my childhood. Destroyed my favorite character completely. I can’t even watch the OT.

Soo... WE are still around. Just not as active in these threads or even the forum as a whole.

Really sad.

You guys seem to be willfully ignoring the fact that even among the fans, there is not universal dislike for The Last Jedi. At best, it's a 50/50 split. Those who hate it? They simply don't number enough to represent the poor box office performance of Solo.

The more likely scenario here is that almost no one really saw the point of this movie, so the excitement just wasn't there.

Disney's mistake wasn't The Last Jedi. Their mistake was trusting the outlier performance of Rogue One and the box office of The Last Jedi, and using that to justify WAY over-spending on Solo, hoping it would do just as well. Had Disney kept this movie smaller (in terms of budget) as was originally intended, we would not be having conversations about poor performance and no one would be floating theories of some sort of fandom super-power to crash the box office.

It's a mediocre movie performing at a mediocre level. It just had a blockbuster budget behind it.

I hope this doesn't come off snarky. It's not personal to you, @Zuiun. It's just an IMHO analysis.

In this age of social media, there's never been a better time to be an outlier/provocateur. We see it constantly in political discourse - people that can't possibly be invested in what they're defending, but they feel they're being dictated to, or there are subtleties in positions that they mostly agree on - but not completely - so they strike out their own territory so they can be heard.

There will always be those that defend garbage on the grounds of, "Oh, you just don't get it man, it was soooo deeeeep". Do they really get it, or care? Not really. But now they're special, or even a "superfan", because all those other guys never really understood the subject matter.

TLJ is not deep; it didn't take anything to a new level. In fact, it was the opposite of that, it took everything potentially deep and profound (whether you liked the options or not) from TFA, and made it about as superficial as it could get. There's a difference between dark and diminished. All you had to do was go to the Jedi Council boards and see how whisper-quiet it became (and there are quasi-cerebral sorts all over the place there that will try to defend anything), or go to the toy stores. No one cared.

Good points about the box office numbers that preceded it. Stories that don't need to be told are risky anyway, and R1 probably survived on being a clean sheet of paper that people were at least curious about. In addition, it was a well-crafted film on merit, IMO. If you didn't necessarily like the Star Wars vibe or buy certain elements or whatever, it stood on its own. There were quality performances. TLJ was always going to do well numbers-wise, merely due to the previous two films. Hell, I even had to see it twice, the 2nd time with someone who wouldn't judge it as harshly as I, just so I would stop feeling so angry about it. I'm a repeat viewer, AND I HATED IT.

So, SOLO was a story that didn't need to be told, but it was always high-risk in that it was going to play with your head regarding a beloved existing character. As a child of the OT-theatre era, it didn't measure up; but our bar is always going to be much higher. For me, it got lost in a couple of details - his time in the Imperial Navy, and the manner in which he met/saved Chewie. But for a contrived storyline, it wasn't bad. I think if it weren't called SOLO, and was just a generic heist film, it would have been really good. I liked the twists at the end. Major crush on Enfys Nest, I admit. I'm pathetic, whatever. I'll take what I can get from a Star Wars movie these days.

That whole thing about when you stop hating someone and now feel nothing, signaling when a relationship is truly over? I think that's where a lot of people are with Star Wars right now. IX has to be good. It has to be REALLY GOOD. It has to give me that sensitive, complex Ben Solo we got a glimpse of in TFA. His character was at first Shakespearean, and got reduced to a wooden slab. That hurts. My bar is high - as is my interest - but for those whose isn't, I think the notion of a "reimagined" SOLO piggybacked onto the emptiness of TLJ, just wasn't alluring enough to make them care. :-\

Last edited:
I was one of the people who said they were done after TLJ.

I haven’t seen solo and won’t pay to see another SW movie until they start making movies with respect to the originals... instead of using them as a 2 hour agenda driven commercials with the Star Wars logo slapped on.

I’ll read opinions when episode IX comes out... but I am in no way hopeful.

TLJ was absolute garbage. It’s the only piece of entertainment that has personally negatively affected my life.

I’m not a fan of the prequels. They weren’t great. But life went on as usual.

But TLJ really somehow actually damaged my childhood. Destroyed my favorite character completely. I can’t even watch the OT.

Soo... WE are still around. Just not as active in these threads or even the forum as a whole.

Really sad.

I can sympathise with your position OldKen, it nearly got that way for me at one stage, I found TLJ that offensive along with the news that its creator was handed three more movies that it seemed pointless to keep investing in it further. I soon realised though that the Johnson trilogy would never happen and that a new team of writers could actually hit the marks so I stayed on the train. I also have zero interest in the next movie and cant wait for it to be over and done with so we can wipe the slate clean and start again. I however would never let a selfish joke like Johnson tarnish my appreciation for the OT under any circumstances.

I saw it and actually had fun. Kept thinking, despite shaky cam and dark photography and overcrowded VFX shots, that this was the episodic, light-hearted, fun romp that SW is supposed to be. I think it has more in common with SW ‘77 than the crap that followed (I include the overly operatic ROTJ).

I rather wonder if this is why Her Highness Kennedy fired the original directors and hired Ron Howard, they were making it too light-hearted.

Until the end. Why? Maul was killed off, what the hell is he doing alive and running criminal syndicates, and who in the galaxy gives a s***? And why activate your light saber on a hologram .…*to punctuate your point? Does anyone load a shell in a shotgun or pistol over telephone to make a point to someone? “You’d better behave, or I’ll … [cha-chunk]” “what, you’ll eat a Triscuit?” “No that was my gun.” “Gun? Sounded like a Triscuit. Sandy Duncan would agree with me.” “I’m hanging up now [click]” “Okay, THAT sounded like a gun.”

And a red light saber in a hologram that’s otherwise blue? Is that a force thing?

Beside the fan service crap, though, I thought the film was fun. I’d see it again. Unfortunately, I’m no longer seeing the sequential SW films, TFA bored me, what I hear of TLJ makes me never want to see it, despite Rian Johnson burying the old tropes and formulae.

Last edited:
I'd like to direct everyone's attention to the top of this page showing that 80% of us here liked or loved the movie.

Are you joking!!! Please tell me you understand statistics. Not to be rude my friend, but 80% of those who took the time to vote liked or loved it. That's a total of 183 people on a forum of over 100,000, which is not "80% of us here". Do you realize the number of people who "liked" or "loved" this film is less than .2% of the total number of members here on this forum? Just wow.......... You want to hang YOUR opinion on 183 people? REMEMBER, based on those numbers, your opinion is definitely not EVERYONE's opinion.

I respect that YOU liked this film, but STOP trying to use that poll to justify your position of it being good over those of us who think it was bad, because it doesn't.

Are you joking!!! Please tell me you understand statistics. Not to be rude my friend, but 80% of those who took the time to vote liked or loved it. That's a total of 183 people on a forum of over 100,000, which is not "80% of us here". Do you realize the number of people who "liked" or "loved" this film is less than .02% of the total number of members here on this forum? Just wow.......... You want to hang YOUR opinion on 183 people? REMEMBER, based on those numbers, your opinion is definitely not EVERYONE's opinion.

I respect that YOU liked this film, but STOP trying to use that poll to justify your position of it being good over those of us who think it was bad, because it doesn't.

As I was addressing the posts here, I felt that the poll here was relevant. I stand by that.

Or, to use your style: Are you kidding?!?!?!! AS I was addressing the posts HERE, I felt that the POLL HERE was RELEVANT!@!

As I was addressing the posts here, I felt that the poll here was relevant. I stand by that.

Or, to use your style: Are you kidding?!?!?!! AS I was addressing the posts HERE, I felt that the POLL HERE was RELEVANT!@!

Actually, I only used three exclamation points, so you didn't accurately quote my style! :)

While I understand your perspective, I would be cautious using any poll like that to support one's position when it has so few respondents.

I don’t know if I raised my hand but until some major changes happen over at the Mouse, I AM DONE with it.

No way in hell am I gonna sponsor or tolerate their foolishness.

I was over Star Wars when TFA came out because I KNEW what direction they were headed, I have quite a few friends at the Mouse, ILM, and Lfl, so I gave TLJ a shot and wish I had not.

Same thing with Trek.

You got two shots at bat with me, after that, I’m out!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back