Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
I saw it at a AMC Theater "Fan Event" showing tonight and I have to say I REALLY enjoyed it. I walked out of the theater with the same smile on my face after seeing Rogue One. Han Solo has been one of my favorite characters since I was a child and the people I was with suggested that maybe I like it as much as I did because of that fact, to which I pointed out that Indiana Jones ranks higher in my childhood hero rankings. Right before the movie started I quietly said to myself "Please don't be the Crystal Skull" and it wasn't. Very satisfied, to the point I immediately wanted to watch it again.

The Chachapoyan idol, which is easily recognizable to those familiar with it, has been mentioned but if you pay attention the Holy Grail and the Sankara Stones are among Dryden Vos's collection artifacts.

Okay, so the films out so I can now say that I was a background extra (having also shot scenes for R1 and TLJ) in the scene where Han, Chewie and Beckett walk through the party and Han meets Q’ira. I got to play an imperial officer (black costume) but don’t think this was noticeable in the scene. It was shot dark, and I feel sorry for the prop designers, costume makers and robot designers who contributed to the scene because so much that was present on the set, just didn’t make the final cut. (I think I saw myself, but only in a flash moment). Was cool seeing Emilia Clarke in person, and agree that AE did not have the stature to carry off Han. As for the movie, I enjoyed it, but more for the references to the OT and prequel (can we say, the one at the end). Also the music cues were subtle. The Imperial Advert, with an almost correct Imperial March playing, as well as during the Kessell Run and Duel of the Fates referenced in the end reveal.

Coming off the back of TLJ , this is a masterpiece in comparison.
It felt the same as Rogue One, just a well rounded star wars story that's surprising good, beats expectations and that actually makes you want to watch it again.
Lando and Chewy were definitely a stand out for me and the film had a good humour balance and interesting action sequences.
For me i think id prefer not have had Maul at all, maybe if Qi'ra had just died it would have felt more significant, but at least that whole scene was unexpected.

Im not saying its perfect, but after an initial viewing its just nice to have a future blu ray purchase worthy star wars movie again.
And yeah, id still prefer something completely separate like a bounty hunter or old republic story but you can only dream.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I LOVE how Disney has handled Chewie. His reveal in this movie was epic. And god, had he EATEN people?!

I knew about the Enfys reveal going in and expected a ham handed "grrrrl power" groaner, but it wasn't at all. More than anything her crew brought a Mad Max vibe to the film, and that is frankly always going to be awesome.

While L3 was annoying and awful, at least her annoying preachiness was recognized AS annoying by other characters. It's like Disney is trolling fans' SJW accusations a bit. In fact, Q'ira lives up to every awful steteotype about women...and you KNOW that will get written about in some intern's think piece. Personally I loved her, loved that she was a classic femme fatale.

The more I think about this movie, the more I like it. I expected corporate sterility, but it feels like a movie made with genuine affection.

Haven't seen the movie yet, but since I don't mind spoilers, I figured I might as well post here.

I'm happy about the general consensus here among the more sensible SW fans. Meaning, once you realize the "psrfect storm" magic of the OT will never, ever, come back,no matter how hard we wish for it andno matter how hard LFL/Disney tries, you can enjoy new SW movies for what they are: entertaining stories set in the GFFA.
I'm gonna watch this with an open mind and I'm sure I will enjoy the movie.

Sent using Tapatalk.

It was ok, I didn't like how much was desaturated, couldn't make out half of what was going on. The Skiff guard disguise made me laugh.

Sent from my BLU LIFE MARK using Tapatalk

So I saw it on Tuesday and last night, and last night's screening was almost distractingly murky and desaturated.Blacks were grey, and it was VERY hard to see details and things like Chewie's eyes. Any one else think their "print" was crap?

AMC IMAX - clean, bright (still moody but you know what I mean)
Cinemark - hard to see what is going on in MANY places.

If it's a movie that leans dark and then is compounded by the specific theater's projection that could be the issue. Lamps with high run times, old light engines and optics etc. greatly impact the brightness on screen.

Going to try to keep this brief. :)

Good:

It wasn't TLJ. (Seriously, that was my only real bar, and it was cleared. Win.)
Story that worked reasonably well.
LOVED Paul Bettany. Gave the film some real negative weight that it sorely needed.
LOVED the Enfys Nest/Cloud Riders agenda misdirection.
The twist with Qi'ra.

Bad:

That story that works reasonably well, didn't really feel like Star Wars to me. Call it anything else, with contemporary names and references as a generic heist film, and it actually goes up a few points.
The first Star Wars droid that I outright hated.
The "droid revolt". <eyeroll>
Lack of a significant Imperial presence (including the new Star Destroyer that was cut). :(
Some casting choices didn't impress me (and not the ones you're probably thinking).
The entire sequence when Han was a soldier - and meets Tobias - felt sort of discombobulated.
Han speaking "Wookiee" struck me as really dumb.
Maul's presence was jarring in a not-so-great way.

All, of course, very IMHO.
That seems like a lot of negative stuff, but it was mostly mild irritants. It was actually a solid "like" for me. :thumbsup

thoughts:

-it's my favorite disney wars yet. It didn't feel like a mess of too many ideas and crappy production. the script was solid, with solid dialogue. Humour, but no jokes

-I am so tired of seeing the dice. The dice were a gag put in by the guys who built the falcon set. They weren't even in ESB or ROTJ. Yet at this point, they're like "one set of dice to rule them all"

-The score was also great. Way better than anything we've seen from disney

-loved seeing Maul. I want to know what happened between this and his sad state in Rebels.

-the plot was good. really good. I loved how film tightened in focus for the final act.

-Even though it was well cast and acted, han seemed like a good guy who referred to himself as a scoundrel, but is really a good guy. That was always my concern. How does disney make a protagonist who's actually an outlaw? Even Jack sparrow would do the right thing in the end. And here, Han totally did the right thing.

-I'm all for a backstory, but do we really have to see a checklist of "things that were mentioned in the OT"? This whole movie could have been made without mentioning the Kessel run or seeing Han win the falcon from Lando. (Loved Lando taking off at the end. But we could have just imagined Han getting it from him. We don't need to see it)

-Lando was perfect. And his love for his droid was perfect. It was the best human/droid relationship we've seen in the franchise since Anakin and artoo

-Did I mention how much I loved the droid? She was the ultimate social justice warrior! I'll take her over drax in rogue one anyday

-I'm getting really tired of these dreary looking star wars movie. Does every ground battle have to feel like Saving Private ryan? Can we please have some colour?

-And while we're at it, can we go to some alien planets? Not Just Earth? How about some coruscant? Even though Hoth was shot on earth, it never felt like it. One of the great things about Star wars is that it make kids want to live in that galaxy. You couldn't pay me to live in the Galaxy that Disney shows us.

-Congratulations on making a movie without blue milk!!!! (I know TLJ had green milk, but, you know...subverting our expectations and all that)

- I eat my words. I loved the falcon in this.

The new Star Destroyer was in the shot on the screen showing the Imperial Recruitment video that Han sees. It's in the center of the shot.

The new Star Destroyer was in the shot on the screen showing the Imperial Recruitment video that Han sees. It's in the center of the shot.

But you can buy a toy of this thing, which I think is more than I can say of the new TIE(?); I just expected more. :-\

Last edited:
Just some first initial random thoughts. I liked it. It was a fun film and was entertaining throughout. AE didn't feel at all like Han, but I think if you watch it accepting him as a younger Han then he's passable. Didn't like how they made him a nice guy which is no where near where we meet him in ANH. Glad to see Han shoot first again! Glover did a really good job and Chewie was good. Bringing Darth Maul back is just so so stupid. I did like how the balance of the galaxy was not stake and was just a heist movie. Overall I liked the movie however, I have no urge at the monent to want to go see it again.

Can we please have some colour? .

One of my biggest issues with the Disney Era is the lack of color in the aliens (and few OT aliens). Bring back brightly colored aliens (Greedo Green, Ackbar Red, Duros Blue), all the aliens are earth tones. I don’t need a tan/Golden Greedo.

Overall, I enjoyed the film and would not mind if they made a couple more and wrapped up the Maul plot in a Kenobi film.

I liked the spoken callbacks/easter eggs rather than cameos shoved in my face.

My biggest issue with Solo was the pacing. It just did not feel like a SW movie. It felt more like tv, specifically it had a Young Indy Chronicles feel to me.

One of my biggest issues with the Disney Era is the lack of color in the aliens (and few OT aliens). Bring back brightly colored aliens (Greedo Green, Ackbar Red, Duros Blue), all the aliens are earth tones. I don’t need a tan/Golden Greedo.

Overall, I enjoyed the film and would not mind if they made a couple more and wrapped up the Maul plot in a Kenobi film.

I liked the spoken callbacks/easter eggs rather than cameos shoved in my face.

My biggest issue with Solo was the pacing. It just did not feel like a SW movie. It felt more like tv, specifically it had a Young Indy Chronicles feel to me.

Absolutely. And Lucas gave us a great galaxy full of awesome aliens and droids. where did all of them go? Why did they get replaced with new, more forgettable aliens and droids?

As for pacing, I loved this one. Moch like the OT, there were moments to breathe.

Didn't like how they made him a nice guy which is no where near where we meet him in ANH.

I think that was kind of the point. He is a good kid and wants to belong, but this galaxy does not promote that type of morality. “Solo” is just the first step to turning him into the guy we see in the cantina.

I can buy that and would buy another film that gets him closer to ANH Han.

Does Chewie still have a life debt to Han, or does he just hang around with him because he likes him?

I mean he stopped him from falling off the train, and he let him go help the other wookies, but somehow I was expecting a bit more of why he would just stay with him forever?

Well technically Han did get him a ship off the planet... and KINDA helped him escape captivity.. but he mostly did that himself.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back