Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
This made me laugh today.
gan b solo.jpg

Then it me made sad because i would have more interest if them 2 were in it.

So Ingruber would have lured in everyone who is butthurt over the Last Jedi? Ingruber is all it would have taken to make the peace? (Because I DO think that's why Solo is bombing, TLJ backlash). I think that's a gross oversimplification.
Yeah that's a good point Cayman. I think Ingruber would definitely have improved the film if he nailed a really good "Harrison ford as Han Solo" imitation. I think that would have been a lot of fun to see :) But I do agree there's a lot of TLJ backlash in people's decision to not see this latest film. But fair enough right? If you're as invested as most of us are in SW and you felt burnt by the creative decisions Disney and Johnson made for that film why would you go?Myself I'm just a bit underwhelmed by most of these films. And more importantly my daughter who is definitely a bit of sci fi fan (dk where she gets it from) isn't really engaging with these films. She see's them and says 'that was cool!" and then moves on. a lost opportunity I reckon

Last edited:
So Ingruber would have lured in everyone who is butthurt over the Last Jedi? Ingruber is all it would have taken to make the peace? (Because I DO think that's why Solo is bombing, TLJ backlash). I think that's a gross oversimplification.

Just for the record. I'm not "butthurt" over the Last Jedi, I just think it's an awful piece of story telling. That movie was a prime example that Disney needs to get creative control
locked down on their property. Set rules within this universe, and set up a "bible" if you will to guide things. What we have now wreaks of spit balling.

Ingruber would have completely sold me on this being a "Han Solo" movie, just like Sebastian Stan would sell me on a younger Luke movie.
AI has talent , that is obvious, it just needs to be developed. Takes more than a hair dye job to take on this kind of character. Alden just does not have "it".
The most common analogy I hear from people on his performance is , "he was Ok as Han". What we hoped beyond hope we would get after TLJ is a Solo movie
beyond, good or ok. Give me a movie that is better than good or ok, given the depth of material you have to work with.
Those movies will get my money every single time.

An industry analyst tells the far-left Hollywood Reporter thatSolo could lose more than $80 million. Yeah, right. Not for a second do I believe the loss will be that low, but that is the headline.

Actually, that is not the headline. The Hollywood Reporter went with a “$50 million” headline because, you know, that’s what Disney would want them to do.
Just more proof that establishment entertainment outlets like the Hollywood Reporter(and Variety, Entertainment Weekly, Deadline, countless fanboy blogs, etc.) are not about journalism or truth. Each exists to curry favor with and access to Studio Power, not to speak truth to it.
This is called spin, y’all, and a $50 million loss makes everyone shrug. My guess is that the loss could reach $150 million to $200 million-plus. Unlike the media, however, I am going to show you my math.
Solo’s reported budget (production and marketing) is $400 million, but it is probably higher. By the time all the costs were added to Last Jedi, the tally equaled $578 million. We are told Solo is the most expensive Star Wars movie yet made, but let’s be generous and go with $500 million.
Solo’s estimated worldwide theatrical gross is $400 million.
Solo will make money on home video, but not as much as Rogue One, which only grossed $80 million, and that is not pure profit. There are advertising, distribution, and manufacturing costs. Let’s be generous and say Solo will gross $60 million on home video and net $35 million.
The theaters generally pocket 50 to 55 percent of the box office revenue, so Disney will pocket about $200 million in net theater revenue; add the $35 million in home video revenue, and you come up with $235 million.

When you subtract that $235 million from a production budget that probably touches $500 million… Hey, I may have gone to public schools, but that ain’t no $50 million loss.
Sadly, this is the kind of fuzzy math we should expect from the same Hollywood Reportercurrently engaged in a cover-up of the intense, grassroots fan revolt against Star Warsexecutive producer Kathleen Kennedy and her obnoxious decision to bend the Star Warsuniverse to conform to her joyless identity politics.
After all, this is the same Hollywood Reporter determined to delude itself into believing something called “Star Wars Fatigue” killed Solo, even after Avengers: Infinity War broke box office records just nine weeks after Black Panther‘s release.
The overall point I am trying to make here is that the trades (as the establishment entertainment media are known) are nothing less than an extension of the studios’ marketing and spin team, which means the trades lie and cover up.
Need another example?
Because everyone is pointing and laughing at a dog refusing to hunt named Star Wars Fatigue, here is the latest lame excuse: Even as its very own commenters fill the Deadline site with complaints about the divisive politics ladled onto Star Wars, rather than publish even a single article reporting on and acknowledging those complaints, Deadline actually — l.m.a.o. — published this:
[Veteran media analyst Doug] Creutz pointed to the first teaser for Rogue One, which came out 247 days before the movie. (But who’s counting? Creutz, apparently.) “The first 35 seconds of the trailer almost exclusively focuses on Felicity Jones as the protagonist Jyn Erso, selling her as a new franchise hero,” he writes. “The second half is dominated by the Imperial alert klaxon and Forest Whitaker’s voice over, and practically screams ‘EPIC’ at the viewer, before closing on another hero shot of Jones.” The first teaser for Solo, he noted, came out just 108 days out from release. The teaser, by our count, only had about 10 seconds of screen time where Ehrenreich’s face was clearly in the picture — not, in our opinion, nearly enough.”
STAR WARS FANS: No way anyone could come up with anything dumber than Star Wars Fatigue.
DEADLINE: Hold my beer.
So the latest reason Solo failed — keep in mind we are talking about the most famous and iconic brand in all of movie history — is 10 seconds of teaser trailer screen time, compared to 35 seconds; and the release of that trailer about four months prior to movie’s release, as opposed to eight months.
This, my friends, is how desperate the trades are to avoid reporting the truth, to avoid talking about the biggest entertainment story in decades.
There is simply no question that Kathleen Kennedy’s decision to ham-handedly inject moments of wokeness into a beloved universe — a universe that is supposed to be set a long time ago in a faraway galaxy, mind you — is killing a franchise even the dreaded Lucas prequels could not kill.
Star Wars is supposed to be about fantasy, about escaping from reality, about taking a two-hour vacation away from our world… That does not mean the franchise cannot have something to say about the human condition or other big themes. Certainly, the original trilogy touched on these things. But that is not what Kennedy is doing. Rather, she is so inept and blunderingly determined to send a message, she constantly breaks the spell, constantly sets up tripwires in her own movies meant to shock us back into reality. Worse still, she hectors and scolds, divides and shames.
And even when Kennedy is not scolding and shaming, we cannot relax and enjoy the movie, because we know the sucker punch is coming. We are always on guard. Rather than focusing on the fantasy world, we’re now thinking about the real-world names in the credits. Thinking about how they hate us. Why they hate us. Just because we politely disagree.
Above all, Star Wars is supposed to be fun. The Kennedy Experience is not fun.
What used to be a two-hour adventure involving adventure, romance, and heroism is now a two-hour trip to social justice summer camp with computer-animated action scenes.
Disney’s Star Wars franchise has some other problems, as well, including a almost comical lack of direction. What’s more, The Last Jedi pretty much negated everything fans hold dear (including a literal book burning). Then there is the systematic killing off of beloved actors, only to replace them with charisma-free actors; the systematic killing off of beloved characters, only to replace them with characters we really feel no investment in; too many Mary Sues who weigh in at 75 pounds but still manage to kick grown men’s asses (In TLJ, they digitally altered a shot to protect Rey)…
But according to our entertainment media overlords, everything is chill. Super-cool. No worries.
Seriously, it’s all good.
You see, Solo only lost a pittance, a mere $50 million, and all the next Star Wars lecturemovie needs to do is add about 15 seconds to that teaser trailer, and those of us who have been relentlessly smeared in these movies as sexist, racist, backwards, homophobes and pansexualophobes are gunna line up around the block.
For realsies.

Last edited by a moderator:
An industry analyst tells the far-left Hollywood Reporter thatSolo could lose more than $80 million. Yeah, right. Not for a second do I believe the loss will be that low, but that is the headline.

Actually, that is not the headline. The Hollywood Reporter went with a “$50 million” headline because, you know, that’s what Disney would want them to do.
Just more proof that establishment entertainment outlets like the Hollywood Reporter(and Variety, Entertainment Weekly, Deadline, countless fanboy blogs, etc.) are not about journalism or truth. Each exists to curry favor with and access to Studio Power, not to speak truth to it.
This is called spin, y’all, and a $50 million loss makes everyone shrug. My guess is that the loss could reach $150 million to $200 million-plus. Unlike the media, however, I am going to show you my math.
Solo’s reported budget (production and marketing) is $400 million, but it is probably higher. By the time all the costs were added to Last Jedi, the tally equaled $578 million. We are told Solo is the most expensive Star Wars movie yet made, but let’s be generous and go with $500 million.
Solo will make money on home video, but not as much as Rogue One, which only grossed $80 million, and that is not pure profit. There are advertising, distribution, and manufacturing costs. Let’s be generous and say Solo will gross $60 million on home video and net $35 million.
The theaters generally pocket 50 to 55 percent of the box office revenue, so Disney will pocket about $200 million in net theater revenue; add the $35 million in home video revenue, and you come up with $235 million.

When you subtract that $235 million from a production budget that probably touches $500 million… Hey, I may have gone to public schools, but that ain’t no $50 million loss.
Sadly, this is the kind of fuzzy math we should expect from the same Hollywood Reportercurrently engaged in a cover-up of the intense, grassroots fan revolt against Star Warsexecutive producer Kathleen Kennedy and her obnoxious decision to bend the Star Warsuniverse to conform to her joyless identity politics.
After all, this is the same Hollywood Reporter determined to delude itself into believing something called “Star Wars Fatigue” killed Solo, even after Avengers: Infinity War broke box office records just nine weeks after Black Panther‘s release.
The overall point I am trying to make here is that the trades (as the establishment entertainment media are known) are nothing less than an extension of the studios’ marketing and spin team, which means the trades lie and cover up.
Need another example?
Because everyone is pointing and laughing at a dog refusing to hunt named Star Wars Fatigue, here is the latest lame excuse: Even as its very own commenters fill the Deadline site with complaints about the divisive politics ladled onto Star Wars, rather than publish even a single article reporting on and acknowledging those complaints, Deadline actually — l.m.a.o. — published this:
[Veteran media analyst Doug] Creutz pointed to the first teaser for Rogue One, which came out 247 days before the movie. (But who’s counting? Creutz, apparently.) “The first 35 seconds of the trailer almost exclusively focuses on Felicity Jones as the protagonist Jyn Erso, selling her as a new franchise hero,” he writes. “The second half is dominated by the Imperial alert klaxon and Forest Whitaker’s voice over, and practically screams ‘EPIC’ at the viewer, before closing on another hero shot of Jones.” The first teaser for Solo, he noted, came out just 108 days out from release. The teaser, by our count, only had about 10 seconds of screen time where Ehrenreich’s face was clearly in the picture — not, in our opinion, nearly enough.”
STAR WARS FANS: No way anyone could come up with anything dumber than Star Wars Fatigue.
So the latest reason Solo failed — keep in mind we are talking about the most famous and iconic brand in all of movie history — is 10 seconds of teaser trailer screen time, compared to 35 seconds; and the release of that trailer about four months prior to movie’s release, as opposed to eight months.
This, my friends, is how desperate the trades are to avoid reporting the truth, to avoid talking about the biggest entertainment story in decades.
There is simply no question that Kathleen Kennedy’s decision to ham-handedly inject moments of wokeness into a beloved universe — a universe that is supposed to be set a long time ago in a faraway galaxy, mind you — is killing a franchise even the dreaded Lucas prequels could not kill.
Star Wars is supposed to be about fantasy, about escaping from reality, about taking a two-hour vacation away from our world… That does not mean the franchise cannot have something to say about the human condition or other big themes. Certainly, the original trilogy touched on these things. But that is not what Kennedy is doing. Rather, she is so inept and blunderingly determined to send a message, she constantly breaks the spell, constantly sets up tripwires in her own movies meant to shock us back into reality. Worse still, she hectors and scolds, divides and shames.
And even when Kennedy is not scolding and shaming, we cannot relax and enjoy the movie, because we know the sucker punch is coming. We are always on guard. Rather than focusing on the fantasy world, we’re now thinking about the real-world names in the credits. Thinking about how they hate us. Why they hate us. Just because we politely disagree.
What used to be a two-hour adventure involving adventure, romance, and heroism is now a two-hour trip to social justice summer camp with computer-animated action scenes.
Disney’s Star Wars franchise has some other problems, as well, including a almost comical lack of direction. What’s more, The Last Jedi pretty much negated everything fans hold dear (including a literal book burning). Then there is the systematic killing off of beloved actors, only to replace them with charisma-free actors; the systematic killing off of beloved characters, only to replace them with characters we really feel no investment in; too many Mary Sues who weigh in at 75 pounds but still manage to kick grown men’s asses (In TLJ, they digitally altered a shot to protect Rey)…
But according to our entertainment media overlords, everything is chill. Super-cool. No worries.
You see, Solo only lost a pittance, a mere $50 million, and all the next Star Wars lecturemovie needs to do is add about 15 seconds to that teaser trailer, and those of us who have been relentlessly smeared in these movies as sexist, racist, backwards, homophobes and pansexualophobes are gunna line up around the block.
For realsies.
Credit where due: excellent post.

It bombed, eh? Well that's too bad.

I don't watch television often. When I do watch tv, I swear on my life that not once did I see a trailer for Solo on tv. I saw the trailers at the cinema and some youtube video ads, but that was it.

To answer the Pawn questions from its thread, I don't think it bombed from one reason alone. Maybe the backlash from half the fandom being upset at TLJ and Disney did contribute to its bombing, but I still don't think that had anything to do with it. Star Wars burnout could have contributed. Is Disney going to roll out a Star Wars movie every year now?

Star Wars is the one franchise that has marketed their next movie years before it is out, creating massive buzz. More than any other franchise. The advertising is [usually] insane. Solo? I believe the advertising for it wasn't there. TLJ had advertisements on water bottles. Water bottles ffs. If Disney rolls out a new Star Wars movie each year, there won't be enough time to generate the mass interest that past movies have had. Star Wars will no longer be the experience it is to many in its fandom, just another movie at the cinema – like it is for casuals.

I said this to someone else who was throwing a fit over the new Tomb Raider movie on another site. This may be appropriate here as well; edited to make sense in regards to SW.
We, as the big fans we've become, always go in with the mindset expecting to be catered to. Thinking that we're the sole carriers of something's success. Maybe we're really just big morons who throw our money at anything with [the Star Wars name] on it. Regardless of it all, it is all problematic. We set our standards too high, but we're really setting ourselves up for disappointment. The [Star Wars] you remember is a thing of the past. It didn't come back [in 1999]. It didn't really come back in [2015] either. [Star Wars] is no longer about you. You've already gone through four stages of grief. Just accept it because there is nothing else you can do. Our time has passed.

One last thing to consider why it bombed, who the f asked for a Han Solo movie? Who has such an adoration for Han Solo that they'd want to see a movie about him? besides the fandom?

Need another example?
For realsies.

Regardless of the source, the content is the most important thing and this article nails it. As I`ve said before, apart from only a couple of members, the only defense used by those who buy in to this new rubbish, is to make hollow, grandstanding attacks on the "toxic" fans who cant swallow it.

They are aiming to make these new SW materials just like the Marvel Movies.

Don't you think if they are trying to copy Marvel's formula, then perhaps it was an extremely bad idea to give a middle trilogy SW movie to a single writer/director to go whatever direction he wanted? Rian said he had a blank slate and could have made Rey a robot or clone if he chose to. Not sure how this can be seen as anything else but a production disaster. They should have had an outline written before TFA was shot, and if that meant delays they should have delayed. Even if you like TLJ, the fact that it goes in a totally different direction for almost every setup from TFA doesn't do any favors for the ST as a cohesive whole. TFA is pretty clearly a search for Jedi Luke, which TLJ retcons as suicidal coward luke. That could be interesting, but taken together it essentially retcons TFA into a fools errand by gullible people hoping for Luke's help, and turns the epic ending of finding Luke into a long setup for a joke shot.

O.k., so I liked the movie (I'll give it a 7 out of 10)...Box office returns + DVDs + T.V. showing = getting even on the money spent...that's my opinion of course.;)

I was going to post this--

As author Sam Sykes once Tweeted:
Stages of a Toxic Fandom:
1. I love this
2. I own this
3. I control this
4. I can't control this
5. I hate this
6. I must destroy this

--on it's own...

but in looking at the last few posts, putting the blame on toxic fandom squarely gives them more credit than they deserve. They are not the biggest voice, but they are the loudest. Solo's failure is based on several datapoints, you can't pin it on one thing.

Star Wars has effectively lost a big chunk of its fan base that constituted about 40% of its box office revenues and movie attendances. Some people had predicted that The Last Jedi would end up making 40% less than The Force Awakens in its final box office, and that Solo would perform 40% less than what the studios and mainstream media predicted - because studios and mainstream media have failed to account for the lost fandom.

Now, Disney-LucasFilm and the media insist that the backlash and boycott is only from a "minority" of audiences. I suppose they were not wrong: 40% is the minority, but that is a very significant minority. I suppose Disney are totally fine with losing 40% built-in audiences for Star Wars as long as Kathleen Kennedy gets to promote her political agendas and social narratives.

So where's the comic that represents those of us who actually saw it and still didn't like it? Oh, I get it, that's not as funny I guess........(By the way, I do have a sense of humor and chuckled at this).

But, nothing is better than the great Samuel L. Jackson and his line in Pulp Fiction........"Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't eat the filthy *********". Sometimes something is so appalling, you don't even need to bother.

Star Wars has effectively lost a big chunk of its fan base that constituted about 40% of its box office revenues and movie attendances. Some people had predicted that The Last Jedi would end up making 40% less than The Force Awakens in its final box office, and that Solo would perform 40% less than what the studios and mainstream media predicted - because studios and mainstream media have failed to account for the lost fandom.

Now, Disney-LucasFilm and the media insist that the backlash and boycott is only from a "minority" of audiences. I suppose they were not wrong: 40% is the minority, but that is a very significant minority. I suppose Disney are totally fine with losing 40% built-in audiences for Star Wars as long as Kathleen Kennedy gets to promote her political agendas and social narratives.

If anyone had the ability to determine numbers as exact as that every movie would be a hit. That is post-game armchair quarterback numbers. There's no denying that TLJ fractured SW fans, and that word of mouth on its plot hurt it's take-- but hardcore fandom has never been that big. If it was, Disney would be making lower budget, specific target films. SW has ALWAYS been a crossover mainstream hit maker. If you doubt this, compare the viewership of the cartoons or book sells to movie tickets sold.

Last edited:
So where's the comic that represents those of us who actually saw it and still didn't like it? Oh, I get it, that's not as funny I guess........(By the way, I do have a sense of humor and chuckled at this).

But, nothing is better than the great Samuel L. Jackson and his line in Pulp Fiction........"Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie but I wouldn't know because I wouldn't eat the filthy *********". Sometimes something is so appalling, you don't even need to bother.

Not sure that quote is approps as you say that you did indeed eat "the filthy mother****er".

Not sure that quote is approps as you say that you did indeed eat "the filthy mother****er".

:) That was in reference to the comic and in defense of those who hadn't seen it yet and felt that way. But yes, I did, but not willingly. Like The Last Jedi, I was deceived into believing I was eating a Filet Mignon, when in fact they slipped in a disgusting bloated sewer rat.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back