Solo: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

What did you think of Solo: A Star Wars Story?

• Total voters
Shut up !

Tis but a scratch !!

Maul has had worse !!!

He'll bite your legs off !!!!

NONE SHALL PASS !!!!!

Going to see Solo wish me luck !

All I know is Chewie better have the proper gate to his walk or it is just OVER !!!!

Last edited:
what is the deal with Mauls eyes? Is it like that in the movie. It is bad enough he is in it but if he looks like that just wow. What is the deal with the lightsaber. That made it too? Is that so you know it is Maul.

plcod73herKne7dzAGHu95TCc5_YSOffxIKtlBRG-xE.pngEnfys Nest

If Maul can be alive, then why not Vader or anyone else who died in the movies?

Maul is alive in canon (or was in the time this film is set), so it's a bit different. Even so, I'm surprised they did it. These types of things usually go one way. That would be like bringing Phil Coulson out in Infinity War.

If Maul can be alive, then why not Vader or anyone else who died in the movies? Obi-won: hid on the Falcon in his underoos and force projected his image under his clothes. Sure we saw Vader die and his body was burned but at least he didn't get cut in half and fall down a virtually bottomless pit! Grand Moff Tarkin? Escape pod. Everyone on Aldreaan? On vacation.

You get the idea.

Just wondering , if this blatantly absurd ‘ resurrection kickstart ‘ keeps going ... where’s this leave the apparent demise of Snoke !?

:cheersGed

Maul is alive in canon (or was in the time this film is set), so it's a bit different. Even so, I'm surprised they did it. These types of things usually go one way. That would be like bringing Phil Coulson out in Infinity War.

How’s Maul still alive ? Seriously , could you please explain it to me .
In the films he was killed before Vader became ‘ Vader ‘ , before Luke was even remotely thought of , let alone conceived .
Han is supposedly a few years older than Luke when they meet in ANH right ? ... so again , how is Maul still around ?

How’s Maul still alive ? Seriously , could you please explain it to me .
In the films he was killed before Vader became ‘ Vader ‘ , before Luke was even remotely thought of , let alone conceived .
Han is supposedly a few years older than Luke when they meet in ANH right ? ... so again , how is Maul still around ?

Darth Maul wasn't killed. He survived his bisection by Obi Wan. It was shown in the Clone Wars tv show and thats canon. Like it or not, thats how hes still alive to show up in this film. He also shows up in the Rebels tv show which takes place after this movie.

Just wondering , if this blatantly absurd ‘ resurrection kickstart ‘ keeps going ... where’s this leave the apparent demise of Snoke !?

I was just thinking the same thing. After he was cut in half, he decided to play possum, so he's still alive!

Also Emperor Palpatine: he only fell down a seemingly bottomless pit, he didn't even get cut in half, so he's still alive!

Good grief!!!
Surprised.Despite my understandably low expectations I enjoyed quite alot of this!!!
First off Alden.
Go in thinking he is a "Han Solo". Not the HAN SOLO!!!!! ( like Ewan as "Obi-wan" in TPM) and for the most part he's fine. Not great, and I still think there are better ,but hes just good enough not to worry about it too much.
He's even better with Chewie (who was great in this) and Lando (who was a pretty good version of Donald G in a SW movie),though I've got to say it was pure torture to listen to Alden professing his feelings to Emilia (those lines of dialogue, like a few other moments were rather badly done, along with the accompanying score, which has to be the poorest in SW history for the most part). L3 was by far the most engaging though I don't understand WHY she was dead ( C3PO got smashed to bits in TESB) but I did like the way she was downloaded into the MF computer.
So for the most part I really liked it. It was fun.The VFXs were great, I really liked alot of the designs in this (the swoop bikes were excellent) the action was strong, and for the most part the story ,as linear as it was, galloped along at a pace that entertained. It had more of a feeling they were trying harder to get closer to the old SW formula and succeed for a fair amount of the run time BUT.

It felt it was written and pitched very much at the youngsters for a lot of it.
Its story is uncomplicated and has some very juvenile moments that make it feel a little clumsy and "Disneyfied" (though there are a couple of VERY not disney things!) . Worst reveal was Miss Nest, who looked for the most part like she'd be more comfortable and convincing being driven in her dads car whilst texting on her iphone than on a swoop bike. If you are going to pick a female kick ass gang leader or commander PLEASE pick somebody who looks strong enough for the part, otherwise its just an instant **** off.

Saying that I think for people taking their kids to see this, well ,I would think they will have a pretty good time and enjoy it alot.

Will I see it again ? No. Will I buy the bluray? Maybe in a years time when its half the price.
But heres the thing. I enjoyed it alot more than many films I've seen and didn't really dislike alot of it . Its a 6.5 out of ten, it could have been an 8 if it had been better written with stronger dialogue but considering what happened to this during the production, I'm amazed it worked as well as it did.
I'm not sure how well its going to do though. Last week I went to see Deadpool 2 first day time showing and the cinema was two thirds full. This, there were FIFTEEN in. I'm sure it will do much betterl during half term if the weathers rotten.

Ps It is fairly obvious that Jabba and Bobba are probably being kept for the next Solo movie. Anyone else think that very ugly wookie on Kessel looked like something from 2001?

Last edited:
Darth Maul wasn't killed. He survived his bisection by Obi Wan. It was shown in the Clone Wars tv show and thats canon. Like it or not, thats how hes still alive to show up in this film. He also shows up in the Rebels tv show which takes place after this movie.

Thanks for the information . Unfortunately or otherwise , I haven’t seen any of these ancillary ( to the films ) animated productions (?) , though I do love animation and anime .
Same goes for reading the books / novels - ‘ Once Canon ‘ or not ... with the exception of Alan Dean Fosters ‘ Splinter of the Minds Eye ‘ .
Seeings how that story didn’t come to fruition as a film sequel , I’ve been taking my cues as to what’s what in this once brilliant ( until most recently ) galaxy from said films .

Thanks for the information . Unfortunately or otherwise , I haven’t seen any of these ancillary ( to the films ) animated productions (?) , though I do love animation and anime .
Same goes for reading the books / novels - ‘ Once Canon ‘ or not ... with the exception of Alan Dean Fosters ‘ Splinter of the Minds Eye ‘ .
Seeings how that story didn’t come to fruition as a film sequel , I’ve been taking my cues as to what’s what in this once brilliant ( until most recently ) galaxy from said films .

There's a bit in there to unpack... "Splinter..." was given the go-ahead by George to ADF (who ghost-wrote the Star Wars novelization) from his notes, figuring he'd never make "Star Wars 2". When a sequel did happen, that became the first big instance of canon contradicting ancillary material, with Luke facing Vader for the first time in both pieces. People have rationalized for some years that the "Vader" Luke faced on Mimban (note: the planet Han is serving on in this film!) was a vision or Force-projection or similar, augmented by the unusually large kaiber crystal there.

For the rest of the OT, there were three Han Solo and three Lando Calrissian books, the Marvel comics, and the Archie Goodwin newspaper strips, and that was it. The latter two had the problems comics always do -- needing to come up with a new "gag" every strip/issue, so there ends up being far more content than the time period would really allow for, and readers sort of had the tacit understanding that they were only to be accepted for the broad strokes of the story. That handful of books, though, was accepted as depicting actual events in the characters' lives. Luke and Leia did go on a mission right after the Yavin base was evacuated. Daley's Han Sollo trilogy was what Han was up to before Luke met him in Mos Eisley. Etc.

After that is where things started to go off the rails. On the heels of RotJ, George was semi-involved with the Ewoks TV movies and the Ewoks and Droids cartoons. But those were, at the time, the death-rattle of Star Wars. When West End Games got the role-playing game rights in the mid-'80s, it was cheap because Star Wars was considered a dead property, but one with a fan base that inexpensive things like that could be sold to. And then Heir to the Empire happened.

The Star Wars Renaissance that kicked off in the early '90s was when the EU really came into being. Dark Horse got the comics license, and would eventually far outstrip the measly hundred-ish issues Marvel had released. And starting with the Thrawn trilogy (which George said at the time he considered to be Episodes 7, 8, and 9), we got more than three times as many books as in the same period originally. And George wasn't really keeping up with any of it. So when he got to the Prequels, he included the couple things he'd noticed that he liked (like Coruscant) and didn't worry about whether his new films worked with the rest of it or not.

So the books and comics and games were always "secondary" to the films. Sort of... "canon until they aren't", as we never knew what George would overwrite next -- like Boba's backstory. But starting during the Prequels, the licensing arm of LFL started trying to get the new ancillary material to align with the films and with each other more and more. This coalesced in '08 with the official formation of the Story Group. So the last five to ten years of the EU are sort of "more canon" than the earlier stuff -- i.e., less likely to contradict or be contradicted. Obviously, everything set post-RotJ is gone*, but everything during and prior to the OT is tacitly still in, in one slightly tweaked-to-fit form or another. All of the KOTOR-era stuff kicked off by the Tales of the Jedi comics, set roughly four thousand years before the films, is well structured, internally consistent, and has gotten many references in the canon, and vice versa.

[*And at the same time, not gone -- but to a less-tnagible extent than the pre-RotJ stuff. We have a scion of the Skywalker bloodline named Ben -- but it's Leia's kid, not Luke's. We have a young Force-sensitive named Jacen, but he's someone else's kid. We have a young female Force prodigy, but she's also (as far as we know) not part of the Skywalker line. We can treat the old post-RotJ EU as the garbled account of events from a couple hundred years further on -- uncertain details about what exactly happened when, or trying to elevate someone's importance by tying them to the Skywalkers making things less than reliable.]

But because George was almost as involved in Clone Wars as in the movies, that series was elevated to the level of the films as far as "what really happened". Bad moments and all. Maul not being dead? All female Dark-Sideers being Dathomiri Nightsisters (or exiled Dathomiri Nightsisters, in the case of the Witch of Endor)? Dave Filoni's misunderstanding of Wulff Yularen's uniform in ANH? Savage Opress? The Father-Brother-Sister Force avatars? All every bit as sacrosanct as "Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi -- you're my only hope".

And, since George retired, all new ancillary content is directly and deliberately the same level as the films and Clone Wars. Not counting Young Adult and younger, we have the new Marvel comics, which are largely worth reading, and conveniently available as inexpensive (or check-out-able-from-the-library) trade paperbacks; and only a dozen or so novels to contend with. Not everything is a fit for everybody, but there are few enough yet since 2014 that one should be able to read first-chapters online to see if they'd be interested in the whole story, and if one has any time to read worth mentioning, one could read (or read the Wookieepedia summary of) all of them by the time Episode IX comes out... And not worry about any of it being for naught as a new film tosses it out the airlock.

(And, for what it's worth, I still swear by the old Brian Daley Han Solo books as God's Honest Truth, regardless of the Prequels' screwing up the uniforms...)

So, while I feel you definitely don't have to have read every single piece of ancillary fiction to come out over the past forty years, some of it is worthwhile, and the newer stuff, especially, enriches one's appreciation of the films... *sigh* ...In no small part because of how much important information and character development the films leave out, for one reason or another. I recommend the Shattered Empire comic miniseries, the Aftermath trilogy, Bloodlines, Phasma, and the Force Awakens novelization, at least, just to frikkin' understand what's going on in the Sequel Trilogy.

--Jonah

Was it my cinema but I struggled with how dark the film was!! the scenes and all the special effects were lost in the darkness!

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back