My Simon Masrani mosquito in amber ring from Jurassic World

Cool Junk

Hey all, made by a friend of mine ( with a bit of help from yours truly :cool ) for my Jurassic collection. We largely followed the process of another prop-maker, who's video we found on YouTube, but instead of 3D printing the ring blank we sculpted it on a lathe, and instead of a real mosquito we used a photo-realistic image printed onto a decal transfer and embedded in the resin.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out, it was supposed to be for display only but I can't help but wear it :lol

masrani ring montage.jpg

Thanks for the kind words :D If anyone reading this acquires any good photos of Benjamin Lockwood's cane from Fallen Kingdom I'd love to see them. I've grabbed all the stills from the trailers and these are the best two. The amber part of the cane contains inclusions that will be pretty hard to replicate I expect, and I've no idea what that bug is that's in there but it looks pretty big. The cane itself looks smooth, dark timber, with some textured detail towards the top and and a silver metal collar. We also know the cane gets dropped and smashed, so I hope that was a stunt double! :cry

lockwood cane 4.jpglockwood cane 1.jpg

We won't be making any more of these rings but I tutorialised the process should anyone else want to make one for their Jurassic prop replica collection

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back