Obscure Batman Forever Prop (complete)

13doctorwho

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Ever since I saw Batman Forever I wanted to reproduce the cutting torch he uses in the opening action sequence. I used to pause the video tape over and over trying to make out enough detail to make it. Now, thanks to blue ray, there are better images on the internet so it's time to finally make one!! Mine will be made out of aluminum and wood.

Here's the original prop.
cutting torch.jpg

Here is the rough cut of the main parts
cutting torch rough cut.jpg

Here is the handle puttied and waiting for sanding
cutting torch handle puttied.jpg

That's where I am so far, more soon!

Last edited:
Re: Obscure Batman Forever Prop

I have copies of those. Isn't it awesome all this available information! When I started making props we were pausing VHS tapes (for younger people google it) and make hand sketches. Even a really well used prop like the Star Trek The next Generation tricorder was such a chore!

Thank you for the comments and likes everybody!! More to come... Sanding is my friend.

Thank you for your comment! That was the exact reason I chose to make this prop! It was so ignored by the prop community that I thought it would give me an opportunity to make something unique.

It's not a difficult prop to make depending on what tool you have. The main body on mine was made from a 1" by 2" board. I cut the basic shape out with a scroll saw. Then I sanded it with various sanding methods to get the smooth, rounded shape. The metal plate was made with 1/8" aluminum. I traced a pattern on the aluminum and cut it on the same scroll saw. The aluminum I used was a 1" wide plate found at the local hardware store. The miscellaneous pieces were all found objects.

This thread has some reference images you can use to make a pattern. If you have specific questions feel free to ask here or Private Message (start conversation) me. Good luck.

For the inside cutout I drilled a hole in the aluminum. Then I disconnected one side of the scroll saw blade. I ran the blade through the hole and reconnected it to the armature. Then I was able to cut along the lines I had marking the cutout. When I was done I disconnected the blade from the armature and slid the aluminum off the blade. That's how I did it using a scroll saw.

It does depend on the material you are cutting and what tools you have available. If you're using thin plastic you can cut it with a sharp X-acto knife.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back