1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

Take your time and do it right. Your build is fantastic with all the attention detail it's going to be EPIC!!!

Going to be starting a Moebius 1/4105 BattleStar Galactica this week. Waiting for a few things to arrive. It will have the usual lighting, laser and sound effects like I did on the SD. I already talked to Ralph at TenaControls and he will customize a sound / effects bound for me. Very similar to the board he made me for the SD build. I will probably start a build thread for it.

Sounds awesome! I'm looking forward to watching that one. What you did with your SD and 1701A was amazing, so I know what to expect with a BG! :thumbsup
Take your time and do it right. Your build is fantastic with all the attention detail it's going to be EPIC!!!

Going to be starting a Moebius 1/4105 BattleStar Galactica this week. Waiting for a few things to arrive. It will have the usual lighting, laser and sound effects like I did on the SD. I already talked to Ralph at TenaControls and he will customize a sound / effects bound for me. Very similar to the board he made me for the SD build. I will probably start a build thread for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, thanks for the kind words. I tend to forget, the less time I take with things, the sooner it will be over and that's the part while satisfying, also sad that the fun is coming to an end.

Not sure it could be the camera angle or type. I seen some SD pictures where the front looks really long and it really isn't. Still a very interesting build 12 feet long SD

blakeh1 mentioned using SMD's which is worth a try. They disperse light more than LEDs

That is amazing! thanks for the heads up on that! Am I off a bit, or does the hangars look too big and too far back? it doesn't look like there is enough room for the belly dome? of course I didn't pose the question on his thread simply because I might be wrong :confused

yep, worth a look into it. I'll have to run over and see what the know-nothings at Fry's Electronics have. I hate going there though but sine the Shack's all closed, that's all there is here. Everyone in there is dumb as a hammer.
Not sure it could be the camera angle or type. I seen some SD pictures where the front looks really long and it really isn't. Still a very interesting build 12 feet long SD

blakeh1 mentioned using SMD's which is worth a try. They disperse light more than LEDs

Try HDA Modelworx. Jerry has lots of LEDs and SMDs and lots of other stuff for models http://hdamodelworx.com/

yep, worth a look into it. I'll have to run over and see what the know-nothings at Fry's Electronics have. I hate going there though but sine the Shack's all closed, that's all there is here. Everyone in there is dumb as a hammer.

- - - Updated - - -

I also get a lot of my LEDs from https://www.ebay.com/itm/3mm-5mm-8m...var=421127879708&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649.

They have a large selection and good prices

hey! Thanks for posting the link, I estimate that my knowledge of LED's and such is probably a step or two above the basics, but you really went at it with that, really comprehensive. there's much there that i don't yet know and will be reading further. I'm sure this will be most helpful to a lot of the fellas out there. bravo sir! :thumbsup
If it's useful, this is an article on lighting models that I've started to write. It's in progress, but hopefully will be handy to someone:

https://sites.google.com/site/millenniumfalconnotes/lighting-models

- nkg

speeder wall1.jpegspeeder wall2.jpegspeeder wall3.jpegspeeder wall4.jpegspeeder wall5.jpegspeeder wall6.jpegwell, I looked at quite a few images and found that there wasn't any where the alcoves were particularly "well lit" so i decided to leave them as is, slightly dim. There will be quite a bit of light from the main ceiling fixtures anyway. i still need to build the corridor off the 3rd speeder alcove, put a light at the far end to illuminate it and run the white cable down the wall of it. That will pretty much do the big walls.

Looks beautiful!
But, i'd add a visible cable(s) to each light from the ductwork/cabling. Since the base is meant to be carved out of ice, then all the liights should have some form of visible cable going to them. Otherwise it implies there is a hidden duct that was carved just to run lighting cables.

Think about an underground mine, all cables to every light etc are run along the walls. Same should apply here.

heck yeah Blake, Robiwon turned me on to them, I've bought ALOT of stuff from them, great resource! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

oh yes sir, I did that on the Xwing wall, just didn't get to it on this one yet. :thumbsup
Looks beautiful!
But, i'd add a visible cable(s) to each light from the ductwork/cabling. Since the base is meant to be carved out of ice, then all the liights should have some form of visible cable going to them. Otherwise it implies there is a hidden duct that was carved just to run lighting cables.

Think about an underground mine, all cables to every light etc are run along the walls. Same should apply here.

- - - Updated - - -

post #250, just a bit of the tiny wire I've used to light the xwings and speeders
Looks beautiful!

ground lights1.jpgground lights2.jpegground lights3.jpegground lights4.jpegstarted on the Falcon ground lights, only have a set of 6 and I need another set. the already come with the hole through the center, cool because I'd be nervy about drilling them out. Got a bag of prewired pico's from modeltrains that I knew I would need for stuff, though the wires are like horse hair! had to peel the shrink tube off the resistor and break the solder on one end, string in through the fixture and re-solder...man talk about tedious. But, I got 'er done. took the ends and bent into a ? mark with the face of the pico up. then took a drop of the trusty Laserbond about a 1/4 inch below the pico. pulled it down till the adhesive touched the lamp housing and set it with the laser light. Placed the still clear dome on it and it looks like just about the right amount of light (forgot to take pic). I've marked the dio base panel for positions and drilled the holes, then I'll string them through and set with laserbond. I'll do this later on towards the end because they'd likely snap off too easy while positioning other things. Still miles to go, but it's coming together nicely. :thumbsup

hangar floor lights1.jpeghangar floor lights2.jpeghangar floor lights3.jpeghangar floor lights4.jpegHangar floor light test number one. The box lights need a bit more paint as some have bleed, but that's an easy fix. Looks killer with all the kitchen lights off, but then of course the pics come out like crap. But I think everything is just about right. opinions please my friends! Thanks brothers!:thumbsup

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back