1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

gt350pony66

Master Member
The Bandai Xwing on the kitchen table thread has morphed into something much larger. So at the suggestion of our good friend Socrates, we'll start a new thread with a title that's more in tune with the project. echobase1.JPGand this next image is, I believe, a 1/48 scale someone did in Japan? this is what I'm going for and hope it turns out at least close to as good as this one echo base diorama.jpg

just for the sake of continuity and as a reference for anyone joining us, the preceding thread for this build is, "Xwing fighter 1/72 Bandai on the kitchen table", in the event that anyone wishes to see what happened before this one. This started out as just a 1/72 Bandai Xwing build and has evolved into an extensive diorama project.

I might also mention, I gladly welcome and encourage everyone to jump in, post what you're doing as well if you like. I love to see the work of others and the sharing of ideas and technique. It's the collaboration that makes this site so much fun, for me anyway:thumbsup

Ross for the overall diorama, what are your plans for the hanger walls and floor? The bigger question... how big is this going to be when finished ;)

If you can provide me pictures (we can do that via messages as to not side track this thread like the last one) I can see what I have or can print. I know I have blast doors, bulkheads, cargo crates and barrels and things like that on file. I wanted to do something like this myself and I will be following your lead :)

I got some 3/16 white textured acrylic sheet two 4x4 pieces. I originally was only going to use it for floor and ceiling, then I figured I'd us it for everything. There will be some work with making the horizontal wall lines, and the slightly melted drip areas above the alcoves but I figured to just use sheet rock mud and spread it with a toothed trowel, then spray it white. The ceiling will be spaced down and the floor up, each about 1/2 inch to allow for all the wiring. Then once everything is cut and fits together, I'll epoxy the seams or use fiberglass strips and resin to hold it all together. I'm hoping to be able to slide it in and out of this boxed wall shelf and have everything plug into one power adapter, and have it on a remote. was also thinking of perhaps having a sound module that can play several different things. just have to work out how to integrate that. Was thinking if it turned out well, I'd be able to have it mobile to take it to shows...maybe. Anyway, the hole in the wall it's going in is 2ft deep, 3ft wide and 18 inches high. I'm hoping for at least 2 alcoves on each side. it won't be deep enough to need the shield doors though :unsure
Ross for the overall diorama, what are your plans for the hanger walls and floor? The bigger question... how big is this going to be when finished ;)

If you can provide me pictures (we can do that via messages as to not side track this thread like the last one) I can see what I have or can print. I know I have blast doors, bulkheads, cargo crates and barrels and things like that on file. I wanted to do something like this myself and I will be following your lead :)

The Bandai Xwing on the kitchen table thread has morphed into something much larger. So at the suggestion of our good friend Socrates, we'll start a new thread with a title that's more in tune with the project.View attachment 817830and this next image is, I believe, a 1/48 scale someone did in Japan? this is what I'm going for and hope it turns out at least close to as good as this one View attachment 817831
I'm with you my friend! Following it :)

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

Hey hows it going...
Yeah, those are Shapeways, Tony 308 Bits to be specific. The model in the pick is my heavily modded MPC. Those front gear boxes are the nicer ones, frosted extreme smooth, like 77 bucks, NOT the strong and flexible which are 10 bucks cheaper but have a texture to them...yuck.
I've got a Bandai waiting to bet built for this project. Just waiting n Tony to finish his design for the add-on ESB gear boxes for that. They're very similar to the MPC ones. The MPC parts could be massaged to fit the PG, but I'd rather wait for some that are specific to the Bandai. Don't want to hack up a 400 dollar kit anymore than necessary. If you're doing an MPC, I'd recommend these boxes, and though 308 side walls are extremely nice, I'd use the HH Miniatures sidewall set that I used on this MPC. JMO
Say GT, do I see the additional forward landing gear hull boxes on your model? If so, did you scratch them or are they offered from some place like shape ways?

Mark

Ah, O.K. Indeed, I am waiting on a Bandai add on too. Good to know Tony is working on them.

Mark

Hey hows it going...
Yeah, those are Shapeways, Tony 308 Bits to be specific. The model in the pick is my heavily modded MPC. Those front gear boxes are the nicer ones, frosted extreme smooth, like 77 bucks, NOT the strong and flexible which are 10 bucks cheaper but have a texture to them...yuck.
I've got a Bandai waiting to bet built for this project. Just waiting n Tony to finish his design for the add-on ESB gear boxes for that. They're very similar to the MPC ones. The MPC parts could be massaged to fit the PG, but I'd rather wait for some that are specific to the Bandai. Don't want to hack up a 400 dollar kit anymore than necessary. If you're doing an MPC, I'd recommend these boxes, and though 308 side walls are extremely nice, I'd use the HH Miniatures sidewall set that I used on this MPC. JMO

Question my friends...
So I got the Taun Taun with rider, primed it, shot it with a light dust of corax white, (the detail is actually pretty decent) then air brushed with acrylic white. I set about hand painting the colors from an image on-line. The taun itself does not have the simulated hair or fur like we see on a figure of Chewy, so getting the variations in the colors there will be somewhat of a challenge. I did brush on some pastel in the required areas, but it still doesn't look quite right. it is textured somewhat, but not like one would prefer, IE hair/fur. Also, the colors of the rest of it, the rider, saddle, etc appear like "too much". So before I go any further and have to strip the paint off of it and start over, does anyone have any slick ideas? I thought about misting it with white again, IE snow and calling it good, but wanted to see if any of my friends here had any recommendations. The thing was 50 bucks with shipping and I'd hate for it to look goofy, right? I forgot to take pics :facepalm

To simulate fur I sometimes will paint a lot of lines, then glaze over it it with a thin transparent layer of color to kind of tone it down and blend it in. Basically thinned paint, along with some acrylic mixing medium

You can kind of see the effect here on the dogs legs and muzzles and the warp wolf's arms, muzzle and legs

IMG_8338a.jpg

And maybe a little easier to see here on the wolf's front and back legs

IMG_1901a.jpg

Another option to add texture, although it's risky if you mess it up, is to use a razor blade to kind of care in some texture.

I found some better pictures showing the effect more close up. it is zoomed in way with extreme harsh lighting so it looks a little crude maybe compared to viewing in person at actual size, but still...

IMG_3295.JPG

and here on the face and arms

IMG_3291a.jpg

Last edited:
is that your work Blakeh? That's incredible! :thumbsup I see what you're saying. I has considered the blade approach but was unsure of it. The thing is hollow as well so extra care would be needed. I did make a mold of it before I put color on it, so I can make some to practice both methods. I don't have a lot of experience with figure painting. my humans so far have been "ok" I guess, and the standing Chewy I have from the "Cantina" set turned out pretty good, but there was a simulated fur texture already on it. dry brush and wash worked well, but this is a different deal with the Taun. You'd think for 45 bucks they'd have done this better. That and there is no daylight between the things legs...looks more like a Chess piece :facepalm perhaps I should complain to the designer?
To simulate fur I sometimes will paint a lot of lines, then glaze over it it with a thin transparent layer of color to kind of tone it down and blend it in. Basically thinned paint, along with some acrylic mixing medium

You can kind of see the effect here on the dogs legs and muzzles and the warp wolf's arms, muzzle and legs

View attachment 818566

And maybe a little easier to see here on the wolf's front and back legs

View attachment 818567

Another option to add texture, although it's risky if you mess it up, is to use a razor blade to kind of care in some texture.

is that your work Blakeh? That's incredible! :thumbsup I see what you're saying. I has considered the blade approach but was unsure of it. The thing is hollow as well so extra care would be needed. I did make a mold of it before I put color on it, so I can make some to practice both methods. I don't have a lot of experience with figure painting. my humans so far have been "ok" I guess, and the standing Chewy I have from the "Cantina" set turned out pretty good, but there was a simulated fur texture already on it. dry brush and wash worked well, but this is a different deal with the Taun. You'd think for 45 bucks they'd have done this better. That and there is no daylight between the things legs...looks more like a Chess piece :facepalm perhaps I should complain to the designer?

thanks

I painted those for a tabletop miniatures game called Warmachine / Hordes

Is that Taun-Taun available on Shapeways, or was it a one off custom from someone?

One thing you could do is make a mold of it and try carving up the copy

one easy way is to use Oyumaru (aka Blue Stuff, or Insta Mold)
https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Mak...TF8&qid=1526933935&sr=8-1&keywords=insta+mold

It is a reusable mold making material that you stick in hot water for a minute or so and the stick your master into it, although I might be afraid to do that with the Shapeways stuff as I don't know it's melting point. I have done it to make copies of styrene parts without any ill effects,, but never tried it with Shapeways stuff

At any rate, after you make the mold, mix up some green stuff and stuff it in their to make a copy

or you could use resin as well

That's impressive work Blakeh :thumbsup
This one did come through Shapeways, one designer had it hidden on their site for fear of Disney. Anyway, it's hollow, very delicate. I stuffed it with cotton and then put a round piece of tape on the end. made a two part mold laying horizontally. of course when I went to pour the plastic, it had an air void at the head and the base :facepalm So, now I'm going to cut the mold off right at the base and fill the funnel and vent holes, and just pour from the bottom. Should work fine next time. I did send the designer an email stating my grievances, but have yet to hear back. They did want to know what I thought when I received it...so I told 'em. They'll probably blow it off. I'll make a few more and attempt to scribe it. time consuming to be sure, but there it is. Wbh64, Bill, has his new Anycube going and is gonna make a few without riders. he found a file somewhere for it. if those are good, I can always take an existing figure and use the soldering iron and tweezers to bend the limbs like the marching guys to hold their rifles. Either way it'll work out one way or the other. :thumbsup
thanks

I painted those for a tabletop miniatures game called Warmachine / Hordes

Is that Taun-Taun available on Shapeways, or was it a one off custom from someone?

One thing you could do is make a mold of it and try carving up the copy

one easy way is to use Oyumaru (aka Blue Stuff, or Insta Mold)
https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Mak...TF8&qid=1526933935&sr=8-1&keywords=insta+mold

It is a reusable mold making material that you stick in hot water for a minute or so and the stick your master into it, although I might be afraid to do that with the Shapeways stuff as I don't know it's melting point. I have done it to make copies of styrene parts without any ill effects,, but never tried it with Shapeways stuff

At any rate, after you make the mold, mix up some green stuff and stuff it in their to make a copy

or you could use resin as well

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back