1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

hey Bill,
sorry I felt had to pester you about it :lol that stuff looks great man! I'll be needing a pair of them there animals...maybe one of your snow speeders too. Send me a PM and let me know what you need. Thanks Brother!
oh, and yeah, I'm getting closer and closer to pulling the trigger on the 3D printer. Gonna get the same one as you...so you can babysit me learning it :lol:lol
Sorry guys... I had to find the box I had everything in I took to my brother's to show him :)

I have around 6 more Tauntauns but not sure where those little guys got off too! I printed these hollow, but next print I think I will do them solid since they are so small.

View attachment 825875

I also learned a lot more about printing and orientation and can make even better prints now (plus I have a better resin)

Speaking of Echo Base dioramas, anyone know if there is any photographic documentation that shows the outer side of the tapered box thing that forms part of this prop? It's a greebly box that sits under the Falcon on the Hoth set. You can see this side in the film, but not the side facing into the Falcon, as it were.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 01.21.47.png

I've seen the two cigar cylinder/tank thing, but this one is new to me. Of course now that I've seen it I'll have to scan images for it...and of course, I'll have to scratch one unless it's on shapeways or something. That's a decent digital image, makes me think someone makes one?...or, (and this just occurred to me) that's what you've set about doing already :confused
Speaking of Echo Base dioramas, anyone know if there is any photographic documentation that shows the outer side of the tapered box thing that forms part of this prop? It's a greebly box that sits under the Falcon on the Hoth set. You can see this side in the film, but not the side facing into the Falcon, as it were.

View attachment 825990

As a kid (February 1982), I snapped this on the junkyard backlot at Elstree Studios. This is a third generation scan of the original drugstore print...the negatives are somewhere, but I don't know where. I think this might be your baby. (Ran it through an enhancer to bring up the details.) Styrofoam is glued to the outside of one to simulate snow, I guess.

Small world, ain't it? :)

Converter copy.jpgPower Converter Enhanced.jpg

Awesome! wouldn't you know someone on here was gonna have that image! kinda looks like a short body Gonk with the legs missing
As a kid (February 1982), I snapped this on the junkyard backlot at Elstree Studios. This is a third generation scan of the original drugstore print...the negatives are somewhere, but I don't know where. I think this might be your baby. (Ran it through an enhancer to bring up the details.) Styrofoam is glued to the outside of one to simulate snow, I guess.

View attachment 826098View attachment 826099

It's the usual thing they did on SW: it's two carrier boxes, inverted and glued together, with shower fittings attached. If you open up the image, you can see the third one behind has a few interesting wires hanging out the back.

Yeah. I wish I'd taken a screwdriver with me for some mementos! Minutes before, I was walking down the ramp of the Emperor's Shuttle on Stage 6, and just after that went into the Falcon's cockpit on Stage 9. Ah, youth...!

There was all kinds of interesting stuff lying about. You can see a Bespin hatch in B.G. This was 2 years after "Empire" was released, too!

Falcon4 copy.jpgFalcon Pipes.jpg

...you lucky devil, you! what a fantastic experience for a kid, heck for ANY SW fan of ANY age! :thumbsup
It's the usual thing they did on SW: it's two carrier boxes, inverted and glued together, with shower fittings attached. If you open up the image, you can see the third one behind has a few interesting wires hanging out the back.

Yeah. I wish I'd taken a screwdriver with me for some mementos! Minutes before, I was walking down the ramp of the Emperor's Shuttle on Stage 6, and just after that went into the Falcon's cockpit on Stage 9. Ah, youth...!

There was all kinds of interesting stuff lying about. You can see a Bespin hatch in B.G. This was 2 years after "Empire" was released, too!

View attachment 826101View attachment 826102

That's a decent digital image, makes me think someone makes one?...or, (and this just occurred to me) that's what you've set about doing already :confused

Yes, it's just a model I put together last night. It's a pretty easy model to replicate. You can see it a few times in ESB, but the best view is the introduction to the droids.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 22.16.55.png

View attachment 826098View attachment 826099

Wow! That's crazy. :) Thanks so much for that! Did your young self ever think that your junkyard snapshots would be useful resources for making 3D models of those old movie props? :)

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 21.59.00.png

- nkg

I reckon I can scratch up one of those...or was there more than one? :confused
Yes, it's just a model I put together last night. It's a pretty easy model to replicate. You can see it a few times in ESB, but the best view is the introduction to the droids.

View attachment 826184

Wow! That's crazy. :) Thanks so much for that! Did your young self ever think that your junkyard snapshots would be useful resources for making 3D models of those old movie props? :)

View attachment 826186

- nkg

- - - Updated - - -

ah, and the back side of the Falcon as well, toward the roundy wall :thumbsup

The prop, or an identical one, also shows up for a split second in the scene where the snowtroopers are setting up their weapon inside the base.

As a kid (February 1982), I snapped this on the junkyard backlot at Elstree Studios.

View attachment 826098

Aha. So your props aren't the one underneath the Falcon. There are a few differences in detailing, especially the rectangle with rounded ends in the middle. Your prop (perhaps the back one of the two) is likely this one here:

Screen Shot 2018-06-23 at 17.46.24.png

There are two of these unnamed props in the dead Tauntaun scene - one of which has been trashed by a Wampa. (the unused Wampa attacking the base subplot which explains why the Tauntaun pen has a dead Tauntaun, a terrified freaked out one, and a bunch of damaged equipment)

- nkg

Last edited:
echo walls1.jpegecho walls2.jpegdid some work with the walls today. dremmeled out some holes for the ice voids I made with the reverse rock mold. glued them in and used sheet rock mud to fill the gaps. Then I troweled more sheet rock stuff across the faces and used a large hair comb to drag through the stuff before it set up. kept dragging the comb as it hardened to get the gobs off, then lightly sanded to high spots with 100 grit. Not movie quality to be sure, but I think I nailed the spirit of the effect. shot a coat of bright flat white on one so far, but think later to hit with a second coat. Then I figured to lightly dust a dark gray with air brush to have it look like dust and dirt had slightly settled on the ridges for effect. If anyone has any tips or suggestions before I proceed, lay it on me...I'm in uncharted waters.

View attachment 826413View attachment 826414did some work with the walls today. dremmeled out some holes for the ice voids I made with the reverse rock mold. glued them in and used sheet rock mud to fill the gaps. Then I troweled more sheet rock stuff across the faces and used a large hair comb to drag through the stuff before it set up. kept dragging the comb as it hardened to get the gobs off, then lightly sanded to high spots with 100 grit. Not movie quality to be sure, but I think I nailed the spirit of the effect. shot a coat of bright flat white on one so far, but think later to hit with a second coat. Then I figured to lightly dust a dark gray with air brush to have it look like dust and dirt had slightly settled on the ridges for effect. If anyone has any tips or suggestions before I proceed, lay it on me...I'm in uncharted waters.

Looks pretty awesome! Getting closer... Day by day...lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back