1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

roundhouse1.jpegroundhouse2.jpegroundhouse3.jpegroundhouse5.jpegroundhouse4.jpegok, so I spend a few hours on this yesterday. cranked up the air compressor and dug out the dye grinder. measured and taped out the lines and went at it. seem like it turned out like I wanted. looks kinda funky now with the blue but that'll change. Still thinking on what to make the cave section out of, it's roughly 8x10. glue a bunch of pieces together to look like an irregular surface...perhaps Bondo (automotive body filler) cast plaster landscape pieces for train sets together to form a cave/tunnel...I dunno, think of something. The lighting for this piece alone is going to be a massive undertaking...:wacko

Say, I've been staring at this...what do you guys think if I were to cut the top and pull it back to overlap it say, an inch or two to make the upward shaft a tad smaller? I guess I can try it and if doesn't fly aesthetically I can always fuse it back together? :confused

round house in primer.jpegok, so I roughed this thing up with 80 grit for texture and shot it with a light coat of primer, but first I cut that hole in the upper left. Do any of you guys know if that's another shaft in the ice, or a viewing port/window for another part of the base????:confused

thanks fellas :thumbsup

sure looks like it, don't it Joe... I think what I was looking at was a matt background that made it slightly ambiguous. So, I'll go with this and perhaps build a small stretch of hallway for the backside of it...and those other two slotted openings. Don't know what I'd do without you guys...thanks Joe!:thumbsup
The concept art makes it look like there's a room up there, but for the set they just put a light up design, maybe suggesting there's a room up there.

View attachment 825307

You know another thing I've never notices before, there appears to be another arch opening behind the right quarter of the falcon, IN the circular area...the tuan taun pen I calculate.

You know another thing I've never notices before, there appears to be another arch opening behind the right quarter of the falcon, IN the circular area...the tuan taun pen I calculate.

That's right, there are also clearly visible double stage doors in that very opening, the only stage doors that the viewer can actually see in the movie i believe.

Right there.

EchoBase.png

The Taun Taun scene was filmed in the area to the back left of the falcon to my knowledge at least "the alcove with the two arches"

I always thought that if i ever recreated the hanger i'd include the interior stage walls and doors for fun:lol

Last edited:
Excellent Mr. Horus...extremely helpful image! Many thanks! :thumbsup It would seem now though, there is much more to be done in the "round house" section. Hmmm, how much of it I'm up for is another question. Well, I know what's to be done...Set the hangar build aside and assemble another Xwing, and/or snow speeder...or perhaps the hangar PE set I got from para. No need to rush through and omit something and wish I'd done it later. I'd sure like if the ESB landing gear bays would come available soon from Shapeways, I'd like to start on the PG before long :confused
That's right, there are also clearly visible double stage doors in that very opening, the only stage doors that the viewer can actually see in the movie i believe.

Right there.

View attachment 825630

The Taun Taun scene was filmed in the area to the back left of the falcon to my knowledge at least "the alcove with the two arches"

I always thought that if i ever recreated the hanger i'd include the interior stage walls and doors for fun:lol

Uh, no. The main stage doors are at the other end of the set, on Stage 6, furthest away from the Falcon (behind the cameraman, here). They’re gigantic. Those are just side doors.

Such a dilemma...multiple ways to do this thing, and frankly all will look good, right or wrong. I'll have to mull it over for a few days.
Thanks everyone for the good intel. :thumbsup

Uh, no. The main stage doors are at the other end of the set, on Stage 6, furthest away from the Falcon (behind the cameraman, here). They’re gigantic. Those are just side doors.

I never said main stage doors Brit, obviously i meant the side ones. Even Han couldn't get the falcon through that, or maybe he tried and that's why the round section behind the falcon is so damaged:lol

Hey Ross ,

I wasn’t sure I was on the right thread at first when catching up on my subbed ones . Your new avatar/ image is very appropriate for this build & pretty cool too !:cool
Agree with your assessment to ‘ mull ‘ things over when faced with so many possibilities ... there’s really no need to rush in completing this is there ?
Either way , I’m confident you’ll end up with something positive on an already spectacular build .

:cheersGed

hey there Ged! Thanks, I think I'll come up with something that's interesting and aesthetically pleasing weather it's right, wrong or indifferent. A mix of different configurations is going to have to be it. It won't be screen correct, video game screen, or the blue print...as long as it's "busy" with lots to look at. I've seen other diorama builds that weren't exact, but they still looked awesome. As long as there's no bare spots. Not sure what I'm going to do with the taun taun pen, if my guess is correct, it's wouldn't be visible to the observer in my Dio. So I think I'm just going to have a few out in the hangar.
Yeah, thought I'd change the avatar, got tired of the other one. Did you change yours too? When I signed up for the site I put part of my email in there by mistake so my user name is too long and kinda unrelated shall we say, had I been paying attention when I was registering, I have a cooler user name than what I got :lol
Hey Ross ,

I wasn’t sure I was on the right thread at first when catching up on my subbed ones . Your new avatar/ image is very appropriate for this build & pretty cool too !:cool
Agree with your assessment to ‘ mull ‘ things over when faced with so many possibilities ... there’s really no need to rush in completing this is there ?
Either way , I’m confident you’ll end up with something positive on an already spectacular build .

I didn’t have an avatar when I first joined up in 2016 , and it wasn’t until a couple of days ago that I finally figured out how to add one ( I’m also a huge New Mutants fan ) :p
Regarding the taun tauns , have you managed to successfully cast some more ? ... @whb64 ( forum member ) , has started posting again after a hiatus due to experimenting and printing on his new 3D printer in resin .
Bringing this up because he’s shown off some of his work so far ( nicely detailed ) and they include Snowspeeders @1/72 scale and he mentioned taun tauns as well ! Might be worth checking out ?

I asked him a few days ago and he said he was going to post some pics of the Taun, but hasn't yet. I didn't want to pester him though since I'm not in a particular rush, though I am interested to see what he did. I did cast two more but only one turned out usable and that one I had to doctor up a little. I haven't yet tried the thinner plastic that flows better and takes 3 times as long to set up. Heck I'd probably be interested in his snowspeeders which I think I've seen. I got 4 now (2 that are finished) but a couple more couldn't hurt anything
I didn’t have an avatar when I first joined up in 2016 , and it wasn’t until a couple of days ago that I finally figured out how to add one ( I’m also a huge New Mutants fan ) :p
Regarding the taun tauns , have you managed to successfully cast some more ? ... @whb64 ( forum member ) , has started posting again after a hiatus due to experimenting and printing on his new 3D printer . Bringing this up because he’s shown off some of his work so far and they include Snowspeeders @1/72 scale and he mentioned taun tauns as well !

also, I guess seeing as how I'm not likely to have a visible taun "pen" per say...ones without riders would look odd just out in the hangar...BUT, one or two without a rider and guys standing with an arm on the reigns or the saddle...now that would look really cool!!:thumbsup I guess now I need to pester him :lol

Sorry guys... I had to find the box I had everything in I took to my brother's to show him :)

I have around 6 more Tauntauns but not sure where those little guys got off too! I printed these hollow, but next print I think I will do them solid since they are so small.

20180621_000245.jpg

I also learned a lot more about printing and orientation and can make even better prints now (plus I have a better resin)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back