1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

you know it! Need to place some ships and stuff to figure out where to lay ground cables and place people, then pick it all up and do that. I was telling Blake I thought some pins or tiny pieces of cut rod attached to at least one foot would do the trick. drill the floor for pin locators, then I can move things around if I want. I'm taking a break this week of sorts. I had a buddy send me a Testors Area 51 UFO to build for him and I've been putting it off way too long. It's a cheesy crap kit but I'll do what I can with it. I don't think it's even worth the probably 1/2 page thread to post anything :lol
Brilliant! Looks like it's just about ready to be flooded with the rebellion...

My dad was in this weekend for my nephews birthday... So I haven't even stepped foot in my hobby room since Thursday of last week... I'll be putting in some serious time this week with my dio's...

I hear ya, I'm gonna whip this UFO this week, and the wife is doing a girls weekend in Sedona so I'll have the entire weekend unfettered with MY project :thumbsup
My dad was in this weekend for my nephews birthday... So I haven't even stepped foot in my hobby room since Thursday of last week... I'll be putting in some serious time this week with my dio's...

basecable1.jpegbasecable2.jpegfootpins1.jpegfootpins2.jpegfootpins3.jpegstarted laying the ground cables, so far so good. Not following any particular images just gonna do what I do. I scrape the snow back enough for a tall drop of laserbond, push the cable/wire down into the top of it, then set it, then cover it back up. like I say, so far, so good. I drilled into the legs of all the figures and inserted a 1/4 inch or so of 0.25 round stock so I can drill the floor and set them in there. If I ever want to reposition them I can. Princess Leia's feet and legs were so small I dared not try ​to drill hers, so I made a flat base for her feet and pinned the center. The 3PO units I left the flat sprue between the feet, painted it white, and did the same. Won't be too much longer and it'll be time to bust out the center piece of this project and get started on that...the PG Falcon:thumbsup

Thanks Joe, it's turning out better than I originally thought it would, mostly thanks to all you guys with the suggestions:thumbsup Did a bit more floor cables than the last pics, Korban thinks it's plenty and I agree, but also interested in what the rest of you think. I sat the ole MPC in there for perspective and cut all the lights on. I'm fairly happy with it. Of course the MPC will be replaced by the PG with proper lighting effects (red headlamps on) etc. basewfalon1.jpegbasewfalcon2.jpeg

It’s looking sweeeet ! ... :p
Re; Cables , maybe wait til you’ve placed some of the vehicles in situ before you decide . I personally think a few more in and around the ‘ alcoves ‘ wouldn’t go amiss , considering that’s where the more frequently used craft are being serviced and adapted for the freezing climate .
And boxes ... lotsa boxes/ containers for spare parts , tools , equipment and stuff scattered around !

:cheersGed

many thanks Ged! it's coming along great. I've got a few more boxes and crates, but I may have to scratch up a few more once the ships and equipment are placed. I see what you mean about the cables, after I place a few ships (loosely) I will reevaluate the cables. That's a decent call :thumbsup
It’s looking sweeeet ! ... :p
Re; Cables , maybe wait til you’ve placed some of the vehicles in situ before you decide . I personally think a few more in and around the ‘ alcoves ‘ wouldn’t go amiss , considering that’s where the more frequently used craft are being serviced and adapted for the freezing climate .
And boxes ... lotsa boxes/ containers for spare parts , tools , equipment and stuff scattered around !

xwingrepair1.jpegxwingrepair2.jpegxwingrepair3.jpegxwingrepair4.jpegWasn't planning on doing this last night, but one thing led to another. Need to find one of my peeps that will look like he's doing something on that maintenance step. Anyway, there are more scenes to come. The last of course will be the PG ESB conversion thanks to Tony 308 Bits for the extra gear boxes...and there are some very talented people working on pieces for the forward maintenance wells, but I'll let them announce that when they are ready.

I still have to work out how to make some back drop images for the back of the alcoves...anyone got any slick ideas? It's probably just a matter of finding the correct images and sizing them and printing...the finding is the tough part. I've seen one or two but not sure they're gonna work. So, if any of you fine fellas have see anything that will work, gimme a holla

- - - Updated - - -

and thanks :thumbsup

Those pics look terrific Ross . Love how the guy in the orange jumpsuit /overalls is just casually leaning off an Xwing laser !
I can just make out faint track marks in the overhead pic#4 ...
Are you planning to add more disturbances in the ‘ snow ‘ , and will you be dirtying up certain areas on the surface more ? ... Spilled maintenance liquids / stains / exhaust marks etc ... to give it a ‘ lived in - used ‘ feel ?
Realise it’s still early regarding the finishing touches , but it’s very pristine looking for a busy environment .

Ged

Last edited:
Thanks Ged! I'm pretty pleased with it, I was up past my bedtime last night just staring at it, :lol You make a very good point, spilled liquids might be a challenge...have to experiment on a scrap board. I can dust areas with pastel powder, but I'd have to have it right the first try, have to experiment with that as well. If I screw it up I'd have to scrape up the snow and re-do. But those things would make a very nice touch to the finish, Thanks for bringing it up :thumbsup
Those pics look terrific Ross . Love how the guy in the orange jumpsuit /overalls is just casually leaning off an Xwing laser !
I can just make out faint track marks in the overhead pic#4 ...
Are you planning to add more disturbances in the ‘ snow ‘ , and will you be dirtying up certain areas on the surface more ? ... Spilled maintenance liquids / stains / exhaust marks etc ... to give it a ‘ lived in - used ‘ feel ?
Realise it’s still early regarding the finishing touches , but it’s very pristine looking for a busy environment .

Ged

eb1.jpegeb2.jpegeb3.jpegeb4.jpegeb5.jpegeb6.jpegjust played around with it a bit, I pretty much know where I want everything, did some wiring and soldering, installed a remote sensor...****** me...installed the module backward, couldn't figure out why it didn't work...figured it out, took it apart, and did the same thing again?! wtf? Finally got it right. Threw a few things in there for a photo op and to look at where the bare spots are so I can place the rest of the figures and equipment. I have 3 of the gantry things, but there's only room for two. I think I made too much stuff :facepalm

Thanks Brother, your opinion is one of a very few I place a high value on. We have a model show in November at small Scottsdale air field where they keep a few WW2 aircraft and a small museum, I'm actually thinking on entering it, even if I don't have the PG done, the MPC will do. I've never participated in a show/contest but I'm feeling pretty good about this build.:thumbsup
It's like looking at a movie set!

Thanks Brother, your opinion is one of a very few I place a high value on. We have a model show in November at small Scottsdale air field where they keep a few WW2 aircraft and a small museum, I'm actually thinking on entering it, even if I don't have the PG done, the MPC will do. I've never participated in a show/contest but I'm feeling pretty good about this build.:thumbsup

Same here. And that sounds like a great idea! You definitely need to do it! I wish I had some close to me...

Looking bloody brilliant Ross ! ... and I concur with korben . You should enter the model show using your wonderfully modded MPC Falcon - which isn’t a slouch by any stretch of the imagination - even if your hearts set on eventually having this ‘ dio ‘ displayed with the Bandai version .
Loving all the extra peripheral maintenance equipment stuff too !

ask you local shop, they'll know if anything is going on I would think :thumbsup
Same here. And that sounds like a great idea! You definitely need to do it! I wish I had some close to me...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Ged! I surely didn't want to do something with just a few ships and a few people mulling around...the more to look at the better...but it's a crap load of work and finding the right stuff has been a challenge but so far so good :thumbsup Though, I do cringe a bit when I think of how much money I've spent on this :eek
Looking bloody brilliant Ross ! ... and I concur with korben . You should enter the model show using your wonderfully modded MPC Falcon - which isn’t a slouch by any stretch of the imagination - even if your hearts set on eventually having this ‘ dio ‘ displayed with the Bandai version .
Loving all the extra peripheral maintenance equipment stuff too !

I can empathise re ; money spent on ( current ) modelling projects mate !... it’s a fact that seemingly sneaks up on you , whilst you’re planning and building something you’re totally absorbed in at the moment ... and BOOM !!! ... it’s “ I spent how much on what , when , how and why !? “ :facepalm ...,

but , I take some solice in the fact that I’ll at least have something to show for it eventually , and it hasn’t been p**s - farted away , as was my wont with money in my youth !:lol

Ged

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back