1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

yep, worth a look into it. I'll have to run over and see what the know-nothings at Fry's Electronics have. I hate going there though but sine the Shack's all closed, that's all there is here. Everyone in there is dumb as a hammer.

Hey gt, if “the Shack” you are referring to is none other than “Radio Shack”, then you need to know they are back. They have brick & mortar stores as well as a online presence (radioshack.com). Unfortunately, the new brick & mortar stores most likely are not the same ones that closed down, so they will be in different locations. In my case, none are near by, but I order online anyway. Still, the suggested online places suggested by others are good as well.

Mark

Hangar floor light test number one.

It's looking great. The gantry looks spot on! However, the floor lights look rather large to me. Are they the correct scale?

11391317_1089082611119049_3746867037066909903_n.jpg

Speaking of the Echo Base wedge-shaped ground lights, I think that the traditional model representation of the lights is actually incorrect. It looks to me from this photograph that the lights were actually trapezoidal in shape when viewed from the underside, not rectangular. In other words they had sloping sides and not parallel sides. Every model I've seen of the lights has implemented parallel lights.

hoth-lights.jpg

I made up a model this morning to illustrate my point.

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 14.52.39.jpg

Thing is, we're all so used to seeing the incorrect shape that the more accurate shape looks wrong!

Screen Shot 2018-07-29 at 15.25.00.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, the ground lights used in the Yavin sequence are almost the same. They just have a red light on the top front rather than blue, and are missing the three front (blue) slots. This view clearly shows that the lights are wedge-shaped and not rectangular.

Screen Shot 2018-07-21 at 18.33.16.jpg

Last edited:
I can kinda see where to tops aren't so wide, definitely a better looking unit than the ones I've got, but these are ready to stick so I'm a gonna deal with these for now. I use a lot of laserbond that's easy to pop back off, so I may replace them down the road.
Speaking of the Echo Base wedge-shaped ground lights, I think that the traditional model representation of the lights is actually incorrect. It looks to me from this photograph that the lights were actually trapezoidal in shape when viewed from the underside, not rectangular. In other words they had sloping sides and not parallel sides. Every model I've seen of the lights has implemented parallel lights.

View attachment 831949

I made up a model this morning to illustrate my point.

View attachment 831970
View attachment 831951

Thing is, we're all so used to seeing the incorrect shape that the more accurate shape looks wrong! Maybe I overdid the angles on the sides?

- - - Updated - - -

Well that's good news! I'm done with Fry's. in addition to the employees being a bag of numbnuts, it looks as though they're significantly reducing the variety of stuff that I would be using :facepalm
Hey gt, if “the Shack” you are referring to is none other than “Radio Shack”, then you need to know they are back. They have brick & mortar stores as well as a online presence (radioshack.com). Unfortunately, the new brick & mortar stores most likely are not the same ones that closed down, so they will be in different locations. In my case, none are near by, but I order online anyway. Still, the suggested online places suggested by others are good as well.

Mark

almost forgot, I'm going to cut the domes off a few of the R2 units, and replace them with the alternate droid heads that come with the Bandai xwings. The one's that look like Chopper on Star Wars Rebels

I was thinking on trying to bend Chewy into the welding position at the maint. well and have a flicker LED for the sparks, but...now I'm thinking putting Solo up there with the Treadwell on the mandible, like right before Luke takes off in the snow speeder. The standing Chewy on the ground with a pilot Luke and then the rider on the Taun Taun can just be a "rider on a Taun Taun", somewhere toward the rear quarter of the Falcon perhaps. Then of course Leia talking with the other pilots by the Xwing...and just scatter the rest of the folks wherever it looks good. Now, IF WHB would send me a few Tauns like he sounded like he would :lol I could do some other cool stuff. hopefully he'll see this :thumbsup

Tdroids1.JPGTdroids2.jpegTdroids3.jpegTdroids4.jpegWork on the diorama is slowing a bit, I've rediscovered my inspiration to get my lazy ***** back to the gym. But I still can manage an hour or so after dinner. Anyway, got some color on the Treadwells last night, still some detail and weathering to do though. the spider-T doesn't quite look like the image I found on line and had to add the orange things, yeah...that one is cock-eyed. The other guy with the clamp arms ain't too bad, and the skinny mini I did last and ran out of parts in the bag. he's the one that will be on the mandible that Solo is arguing with. C3PO, I didn't see and acrylic brass paint so I had to use enamel, forgot what a drag it is to clean up. he still doesn't look quite right. Going to see if there isn't some brass color buffing metalizer of testors, like the aluminum stuff. Think that would give it a much better finish. This one will get stripped and painted red or white. There are 3 more so I have some to try different things on, suggestions are very welcome. Thanks fellas! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

Tdroid5.JPGforgot this dudes close-up...

- - - Updated - - -

and yeah, I got the eyes a bit sloppy, will fix:thumbsup

hey thanks man! That stuff looks interesting. do you apply it by itself, or over paint? Testors has that alum. metalizer stuff that I have used, seems like a similar product, but it's brush on? or do you mix it with thinner and air it on?
Looks pretty awesome so far... I have a suggestion for C3PO. Get Rub n Buff... I have the stuff and it's amazing. Here's what I would use:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gold-Leaf-...80057.m570.l1312.R1.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xrub.TRS1

I have it and it works wonders.

Hey Ross ,

Check out this guy on YouTube under - ‘ Sonastro’s Painting ‘ .

He’s an incredible artist painting up miniature figures , including ones from the Star Wars Assault range .
His version of C3-PO is simply stunning ... all hand painted !

I agree with @korben44 that Rub’n’ Buff is very good at reproducing metallic finishes , but my major concern would be causing damage/ breakage if used as intended ( vigorous rubbing application ) on such small , delicate looking pieces . Just my .02 ;)

:cheersGed

p.s. Love what you’ve accomplished thus far with this , and really enjoy watching it progress so brilliantly .

Last edited:
Shapeways is a blessing and a curse. I keep building and printing things for my DeAgo falcon. I need to stop or it will never be done! I love what you are doing on this dio. Its gonna be sweet!

well, one of these days, hopefully sooner than later...I'll acquire some files and skills and be printing some of this stuff myself.

hey thanks man! That stuff looks interesting. do you apply it by itself, or over paint? Testors has that alum. metalizer stuff that I have used, seems like a similar product, but it's brush on? or do you mix it with thinner and air it on?

I use a brush over primer or paint. You can thin it slightly with mineral spirits. If you do, it flows different, so you'd have to play around with it but thinning it slightly gets you easier coverage for delicate parts and you don't need to buff it as much.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back