1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

xwing wall1.jpegxwing wall2.jpegxwing wall3.jpegxwing wall4.jpegok...Xwing wall is lit. Too much, or not enough? Each alcove has two 5mm bright white LED, the wall fixtures are 2mm LED with...covers made from the Cantina scene model that I just used to people and greeblies. The seats I cut the back off of, then chopped the lower part in half and cut a notch in the back and it fit right on the two wires. I glued them on but didn't really need to cause they fit nice and snug. I know, shoulda took pics with lights off to better see the fixtures. will post that in the AM.

Thanks my friend! I think I'm catching the spirit of the thing. I debated a re-do on the speeder wall, making the alcoves the same size as the xwings...the speeder wall will have to remain as built by the blue print JoeCS supplied. reason is, if I enlarged them, I'd lose one and if I go the same size as the xwings, I wouldn't have two full ones...like one and 2/3 :wacko
Looks really great, brother...I'll rematch empire to see how the scene looks, but you're capturing it very well so far...

Thanks brother! It's a really fun build. as I go I find more and more things I need for it to look like I want. I'm going to have about 60-70 figures (no including droids) all kinds of equipment, scaffolds, platforms, tool boxes, work benches, it's going to be a ridiculously busy diorama
Dammit. That’s great. Now I need to build one!

xwingwalls1.jpegxwingwalls2.jpegxwingwalls4.jpegxwingwalls5.jpegxwingwalls3.jpegbetter view of the lights with them off...I'm considering putting 2 additional 5mm LED in the alcove ceilings, it doesn't illuminate as well as I'd hoped...BUT, perhaps they should stay a bit dim like they presently are? The wiring looks a bit untidy but when all done, this will not be visible anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

and yes...I still need to add more white wire (wall cable) in that one section. I ran out that day :lol

View attachment 831186View attachment 831187View attachment 831188View attachment 831189View attachment 831190better view of the lights with them off...I'm considering putting 2 additional 5mm LED in the alcove ceilings, it doesn't illuminate as well as I'd hoped...BUT, perhaps they should stay a bit dim like they presently are? The wiring looks a bit untidy but when all done, this will not be visible anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

and yes...I still need to add more white wire (wall cable) in that one section. I ran out that day :lol

That looks awesome with the lights off... I would definitely keep them dimmer so it shows more detail... If you're going to have secondary lighting that would help see all the details without having to keep those little lights bright.

I thought so, I could hit 'em with a dark gray Sharpie and see what that does to tone it down, easy to clean off and try something else. Thanks for the input my friend!:thumbsup
That looks awesome with the lights off... I would definitely keep them dimmer so it shows more detail... If you're going to have secondary lighting that would help see all the details without having to keep those little lights bright.

I thinks it is enough lights in the alcoves. The only suggestion i might make is to get them more dispersed (wider angled)

I could be wrong, but if they are round LEDs for example, I think you can sand them down a little which will increase the area of light?

Still I think they are good as is, especially if your going to be adding lots of ceiling lighting for the main hangar

I agree, the light is too centralized and doesn't spread out enough, that's exactly the problem in the alcoves. I've got plenty of the 5mm so I will experiment with your suggestion and see if I can disperse the light more. Excellent observation Blake! Thanks!
I thinks it is enough lights in the alcoves. The only suggestion i might make is to get them more dispersed (wider angled)

I could be wrong, but if they are round LEDs for example, I think you can sand them down a little which will increase the area of light?

Still I think they are good as is, especially if your going to be adding lots of ceiling lighting for the main hangar

I have done that before, and I think I still have some left. I did a 31" Disney nautilus last year, and the yellowish lights that surround the observation eye windows on the sides were way too bright, and that did the trick. I could go down stream on the hot wire and add one and see if that does the job. See, I sometimes can't think of things I've done before...I'd be lost without you guys :lol:thumbsup
Just throw in a 1/2 or 1/4 watt resistor and that will tone down the power to the leds.

I agree, the light is too centralized and doesn't spread out enough, that's exactly the problem in the alcoves. I've got plenty of the 5mm so I will experiment with your suggestion and see if I can disperse the light more. Excellent observation Blake! Thanks!

Hi Ross,

Your diorama is unbelievably detailed and accurate........ What an awesome build series you are doing!!!!

To spread out/ diffuse those lights try sanding or try that diffusing plastic that you used for the SD engine bells or even some .15 Evergreen white sheets.

If you want to dim the LEDs you can wire another resistor in-line to lower the voltage to them. Experiment with a few different resistor values to get the light you want.

I have done that before, and I think I still have some left. I did a 31" Disney nautilus last year, and the yellowish lights that surround the observation eye windows on the sides were way too bright, and that did the trick. I could go down stream on the hot wire and add one and see if that does the job. See, I sometimes can't think of things I've done before...I'd be lost without you guys :lol:thumbsup

That's why this is place is so great... the more eyes, the better!

Well hey there brother! Where have you been? :D That's not a bad idea with the acrylic and it would likely work well, only thing is I'd have to build some light "fixtures" rather than just have the LED poking through the ceiling (which was kinda quick and sloppy anyway). And honestly, it would add a lot of detail. I'm going to have to do something like that with the main hangar ceiling lights anyway so I may as well hammer the process out now. Another great suggestion, thanks! looks like I'll be experimenting with lighting for the rest of the week but better than re-do later. more work, BUT...as we both know from out ISD adventures, if the lighting isn't right it takes away from the rest of it, true story?
Hi Ross,

Your diorama is unbelievably detailed and accurate........ What an awesome build series you are doing!!!!

To spread out/ diffuse those lights try sanding or try that diffusing plastic that you used for the SD engine bells or even some .15 Evergreen white sheets.

If you want to dim the LEDs you can wire another resistor in-line to lower the voltage to them. Experiment with a few different resistor values to get the light you want.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back