1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

I did mess up another thing though...the collar of his jacket/vest. Should be the same tan, not aged white...thought it was his scarf. And even the scarf isn't that light. Wife was late getting home last night so I had a chance to pop in ESB just to update myself of stuff. I noticed it then. At least that I can still correct :thumbsup

Another funny item for you guys, we have the digital highway signs above the freeways here, traffic warnings, Amber alerts and such...today it read, "Solo in the HOV lane? I have a bad feeling about this!" HOV here means "high occupancy vehicle" lane...commuter lane. Whoever comes up with this stuff here is usually really clever and humorous :thumbsup

GT: Where did you get / where do you plan to get Hoth Rebel figures? I am starting a 1:48 vignette and am looking for figures. . . I think I can mod some WW2 figures, fingers crossed.

Another funny item for you guys, we have the digital highway signs above the freeways here, traffic warnings, Amber alerts and such...today it read, "Solo in the HOV lane? I have a bad feeling about this!" HOV here means "high occupancy vehicle" lane...commuter lane. Whoever comes up with this stuff here is usually really clever and humorous :thumbsup

Just saw a pic of what you’re referring to over on the ‘ Solo ‘ movie thread by Bryancd ! ...didn’t realise there were so many members on here that I’m familiar with from Arizona !:lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, for what I'm doing which is inside the hangar, I've had limited choices. I'm in 1/72 scale, so German WW2 Mountain troops have been the closest I could get. They have similar head gear (hats) and properly painted they're pretty close. Some I've cut tiny tiny goggles out of thin sheet and glued to the hats. There was a group of german soldiers "at parade grounds" that had pretty close in the look. I had a few from the AMT Cantina model set, the Han and Chewy anyway. I found the taun taun with rider on Shapeways and Gus at 3D Falcon parts is doing something with a Hoth version of Leia so he's going to make one up for me in 1/72. Retrokits in the UK has a group of rebel pilots I got. but like I say, I'm doing 1/72. There may be more stuff in 1/48 out there. Check out Hobbylinc, they have LOTS of figures in a variety of scales. For rebel troops though, WW2 German mountain troops are your best bet. :thumbsup
GT: Where did you get / where do you plan to get Hoth Rebel figures? I am starting a 1:48 vignette and am looking for figures. . . I think I can mod some WW2 figures, fingers crossed.

That it is...until you're cover in sweat :lol:lol good of you to chime in my friend, always glad to discover other locals. You have a thread going on something? Say, I've got Hobby Depot in Tempe, and another kinda good shop in Chandler, you have any "good" one's up in Scottsdale? I go to Hobby Depot mostly, but those are the only one's I know about. would love to know of any others that have good stuff
it’s a dry heat! :)

That it is...until you're cover in sweat :lol:lol good of you to chime in my friend, always glad to discover other locals. You have a thread going on something? Say, I've got Hobby Depot in Tempe, and another kinda good shop in Chandler, you have any "good" one's up in Scottsdale? I go to Hobby Depot mostly, but those are the only one's I know about. would love to know of any others that have good stuff

No, nothing in Scottsdale!

I guess we're luck we got what we got...by the sound of it, some of our friends here have to order everything on line and wait for it :facepalm

The new figures from the Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Legion line is pretty good for 1/48. Assuming a typical stormtrooper is about 6 ft tall, then they come it at 1/47 scale. at 1/48 it would make the stormtroopers around 6 ft 1 in

You could easily convert these guys to Hoth troops

swl01_photo_rebel-squad4.jpg

Then they have Snowtroopers
swl11_photo_0088.png

SWL01_Imperial_Minisa.png

I plan on doing a small 1/48 snowspeeder w/ dish turret vignette, I'll start a thread once construction begins. :thumbsup

I've been really wanting to build a dio of that scene where the troops are in the trenches as the Speeders zoom by over head

maxresdefault.jpg
I've been collecting stuff for 1/72, 1/144 and 1/48 scale just never committed to one yet :lol

Ross really has me wanting to do a 1/72 Echo base dio now even though I think I have committed to doing it in 1/144

of course this guy devoted his entire living room to a 3/4 in (1/18?) scale battle

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/guy-transforms-living-room-amazing-battle-hoth-diorama

https://laughingsquid.com/star-wars-fan-builds-huge-battle-of-hoth-diorama-in-his-living-room/

Last edited:
WOW! That's beyond cool...:thumbsup
I've been really wanting to build a dio of that scene where the troops are in the trenches as the Speeders zoom by over head

View attachment 819864
I've been collecting stuff for 1/72, 1/144 and 1/48 scale just never committed to one yet :lol

Ross really has me wanting to do a 1/72 Echo base dio now even though I think I have committed to doing it in 1/144

of course this guy devoted his entire living room to a 3/4 in (1/18?) scale battle

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/guy-transforms-living-room-amazing-battle-hoth-diorama

https://laughingsquid.com/star-wars-fan-builds-huge-battle-of-hoth-diorama-in-his-living-room/

rebel troops1.jpegrebel troops2.jpegrebel troops3.jpegrebel troops4.jpegbase floor1.jpegbase floor2.jpegyard work got in the way, but...a rack of HK's aka, blaster rifles showed up from Shapeways so several of the base troops got their weapons. Also cut the first piece for the Base. The floor is 2ft x 3ft. I cut a bunch of 1in pieces of 1/2 in PVC to support the floor and to have a place to run all the wiring. probably going to run some 1x1 around the perimeter for stability in the event I remove the whole thing from this built in wall shelf. More to come...

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back