1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

Not even, it's all SW so it's all good brother. My work PC has this blocked though :angry I'll have to see it when I get home :thumbsup I'm glad you swung back around my friend :D
Hi ;) sorry to go a bit of topic but wanted to share my r2d2 & c3po diorama with you. Hope you like it ;)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=290751&share_fid=9388&share_type=t

I have had no time to read any of the messages onb the forum but will get to that as soon as I can ;)

Have a good one ;)

please don't take me serious I'm crazy :)

tauntaun3.jpegtauntaun4.jpegtauntaun5.jpega work in progress...but here it is at the moment. Still more shading to be done, some experimentation on duplicates, etc. Who knew one figure would turn out to be a project all to itself. Perhaps since I paid so much for this little sob, I feel it necessary to make it look like a high end figurine you'd see in a spendy shop. That and after I saw Blakeh's incredible work...I feel obligated to do the very best on this one as possible. See Blakeh? you nade this worse than it was :lol In fact, I should send it to you and have you paint it! :lol I just kidding :lol it's a positive thing, you've encouraged me to do better than I normally would and that's a good thing...skill building :thumbsup

Nothing wrong with that paint job. Looks great so far

I see what you mean about the legs though

of course, if you'd really want to send me a spare one to paint, I'd be happy to as long as you pay shipping coming and going. No fee for painting it :lol

Thanks Blakeh! it doesn't look too aweful in the pics, but it does need a bit more work. I need a fresh couple of super fine tip brushes. I was just funnin' with you on painting it for me, though I appreciate that. if I can't get one to look decent, I may take you up on it. I made some adjustments to the mold last night. plugged the fill and vent holes and cut the bottom off so I can pour the plastic straight in. next one should be full. it did occur to me that having a solid copy, I can hog out the material between the legs and get it more like a figure for the diorama, rather than a tiny Chess piece. And of course, I haven't heard from the designer on my critique of it, and probably won't...oh well.
Nothing wrong with that paint job. Looks great so far

I see what you mean about the legs though

of course, if you'd really want to send me a spare one to paint, I'd be happy to as long as you pay shipping coming and going. No fee for painting it :lol

Just speaking out my thoughts...
I would try to give the taunt some fure like texture. Because it is so small real hairs will be to big. Maybe use ultra fine snow to cover the taunt. Use liquid masking to cover Luke so he gets nothing on him.
Put a couple of coats. When this is dry paint it only with shade paints (or extremely waterd down paints .. and use only a few Grey's and browns in shadow area's not painting it but dipping it and let it flow in the corners like this you will get a uneven structure looking more organic and alive.

It's just a idea, but I understand you want to make it the best you could possibly do.

Where can I find Blakeh's painted model. I love to see what he did.

View attachment 819007View attachment 819008View attachment 819009a work in progress...but here it is at the moment. Still more shading to be done, some experimentation on duplicates, etc. Who knew one figure would turn out to be a project all to itself. Perhaps since I paid so much for this little sob, I feel it necessary to make it look like a high end figurine you'd see in a spendy shop. That and after I saw Blakeh's incredible work...I feel obligated to do the very best on this one as possible. See Blakeh? you nade this worse than it was [emoji38] In fact, I should send it to you and have you paint it! [emoji38] I just kidding [emoji38] it's a positive thing, you've encouraged me to do better than I normally would and that's a good thing...skill building :thumbsup

Well, since I've got the mold made, I can make a few and try several different things, something will work. Blakeh's stuff is post#15 on page one. he's done some really nice paint work on those figures...really nice :thumbsup
Just speaking out my thoughts...
I would try to give the taunt some fure like texture. Because it is so small real hairs will be to big. Maybe use ultra fine snow to cover the taunt. Use liquid masking to cover Luke so he gets nothing on him.
Put a couple of coats. When this is dry paint it only with shade paints (or extremely waterd down paints .. and use only a few Grey's and browns in shadow area's not painting it but dipping it and let it flow in the corners like this you will get a uneven structure looking more organic and alive.

It's just a idea, but I understand you want to make it the best you could possibly do.

Where can I find Blakeh's painted model. I love to see what he did.

You know, another factor here is, the Taun will be clear to the back of the diorama anyway. Seems like the pen was off the starboard quarter of the falcon, so anyone looking will likely not see if there is a "fur" texture on it anyway. But, that's really not an excuse not to do the best possible...just sayin

Oke never mind I have seen Blakeh's awesome paint job.
Indeed that's a real good idea to use thin lines over and over again... Use a lot of colors tints of the same.. if you're do this over and over again it will show more organic indeed. And use glays (that's the games workshops names for the shades) after a few coats seal it real thin and start over again and see what tints work best to your eye. Don't think you are crazy when a paint job will take a couple of hrs. That's normal I think so.
You can also wetblend but that's more difficult I think.

But Blakeh shows sone awesome examples!

I feel the same way when I feel obligated to spend so much time/effort getting the cockpit panels and figures painted as well as I can, only to assemble it all together and not be able see most of the the stuff I did :lol

This especially true of the Bandai tie fighters where they have all that awesome detail and you can't see it. At some point I want to build just the cockpit and display it by itself next to a fully built model

You know, another factor here is, the Taun will be clear to the back of the diorama anyway. Seems like the pen was off the starboard quarter of the falcon, so anyone looking will likely not see if there is a "fur" texture on it anyway. But, that's really not an excuse not to do the best possible...just sayin
What should I say..... Uhhh you know :).. and when you want to show people they will do wowwww seriously... Your details are crazy.. it makes people look much longer because there is so much more to see because of more details.

With extreme details you bring 4 times more art in the same amount of space taken up ;)

That's what I think.. it fascinates stair at the details the are only shown if you put your eye just right on top of it...

But again... I'm crazy ;)

ok, went to the art store at lunch, got some higher end paint brushes with tips like sewing needles. We'll see what I can do with those. The ones at the hobby shop are good, but you clean them a few times and the bristles fray every where. maybe it me cleaning them that ganks them up, but then the acrylic paint dries so fast and gobs up. who knows...perhaps I need to let them soak in acrylic thinner rather than the hot water and using paper towels?:confused

ok, went to the art store at lunch, got some higher end paint brushes with tips like sewing needles. We'll see what I can do with those. The ones at the hobby shop are good, but you clean them a few times and the bristles fray every where. maybe it me cleaning them that ganks them up, but then the acrylic paint dries so fast and gobs up. who knows...perhaps I need to let them soak in acrylic thinner rather than the hot water and using paper towels?:confused
Oké... I try to give you as few as possible but the most important tips that I can think of now for you to know before you spend too much money in expensive brushes you also will wreck ;) LoL

Oke first learn techniek with cheap brushes and you understand how to do it you can spend more money on brushes. (Good brushes for the best price and quality are I would say Windsor & Newton Series7).

Clean your brushes only with water and "the Masters brush cleaner" that's so easy (pic.)

When you paint be sure you never get the paint all the way on your brush to the metal this will kill your brush for sure.

When you paint always use a wet pallet (Google it, if you want to make one yourself it's easy and cheap). This will always keep your paint wet and not dry out.

Always water your paints down so your not building on a big ugly payer of paint that's masks all the details of the painted object.

During painting clean it a fairly a lot of times in a pot of water quick.. so your brush is not thinking full of paint.

Never push your brush straight down opening all the hairs.

After cleaning dry your brushes flat or upside down never strait op. This will open the brushes and you will lose your control of details with the brush.

I can think of much much things but this is good to start of with.. any questions just ask. And if anybody have any comments on what I say or think I give the wrong advice please tell me.
I'm just saying this out of my own experiences.

Hope it helps you my friend :)
24a255d439ca4d236c3e0b17114603f3.jpg
0d7b3a013d17ed919ca9544d125c8111.jpg

hey thanks dude :thumbsup I'm gonna look around for that brush cleaner and see if I can't make them last longer. The one's I got yesterday weren't too bad, 3.33 each. Used the super fine one last night and it worked good. The more I work on this Taun/Luke figure, the better it's looking. I'm going to wash it this evening and see if I can't get it to really pop.
I pulled the second duplicate out of the modified mold last night, looks like it's all there this time. Going to pour another one and start experimenting with scribing fur line on these and I want to see if I can dig some daylight under this thing. We'll see what happens
Oké... I try to give you as few as possible but the most important tips that I can think of now for you to know before you spend too much money in expensive brushes you also will wreck ;) LoL

Oke first learn techniek with cheap brushes and you understand how to do it you can spend more money on brushes. (Good brushes for the best price and quality are I would say Windsor & Newton Series7).

Clean your brushes only with water and "the Masters brush cleaner" that's so easy (pic.)

When you paint be sure you never get the paint all the way on your brush to the metal this will kill your brush for sure.

When you paint always use a wet pallet (Google it, if you want to make one yourself it's easy and cheap). This will always keep your paint wet and not dry out.

Always water your paints down so your not building on a big ugly payer of paint that's masks all the details of the painted object.

During painting clean it a fairly a lot of times in a pot of water quick.. so your brush is not thinking full of paint.

Never push your brush straight down opening all the hairs.

After cleaning dry your brushes flat or upside down never strait op. This will open the brushes and you will lose your control of details with the brush.

I can think of much much things but this is good to start of with.. any questions just ask. And if anybody have any comments on what I say or think I give the wrong advice please tell me.
I'm just saying this out of my own experiences.

Hope it helps you my friend :)
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180522/24a255d439ca4d236c3e0b17114603f3.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180522/0d7b3a013d17ed919ca9544d125c8111.jpg

taun-luke1.jpegtaun-luke2.jpegtaun-luke3.jpegtaun-luke4.jpegtaun-luke5.jpegok fellas...this is about the best I can do with it. I'm sure I could do better with a little practice. The duplicates keep coming out of the mold with air voids on the tusks. The plastic is pretty thick even if mixed and poured right away. it's the quick set stuff. I have some other stuff that's thinner and takes a lot longer to set. So I'll try that next. But here's the original 3D printed one, for what it's worth

- - - Updated - - -

also, I thought about dusting it with air brushed white to kinda hide the crappy areas, that would indicate that he'd just came back to base, where as, what I'm trying for is, he's just going out. opinions welcome

Hey Ross ,

For what it’s worth , I think you’ve done a bang up job !

Not being familiar with the art ( in and of itself ) of Figure painting (ones done as a child / teen were fun , but forgettable) , of any note ... what you’re sharing looks good .
I think perhaps you’re being too hard on yourself critically ;).

Also , don’t discard the copies you’ve moulded if they’ve a couple of issues with them around the tusk areas , I remember seeing some tauntauns with broken / damaged ones in the film ... possibly from having head - butting contests , or close escapes from predators !:facepalm

:cheersGed

Thanks Ged, I appreciate that. :thumbsup I tend to be harder on myself than other folks are...always have been actually. I have this thing about living up to other people's expectations, when really trying to live up to my own. Quite frankly, after seeing the work Blakeh has done, I was attempting to emulate those example. I really think I had two things working against me, one being my error of priming in black, then the Corax white (thinking that was going to do it) then discovering it was too much of a gray hue. so then I air brushed the white. I should have gone straight to the air brushed white. I definitely lost too much of the facial features with too many layers.
Secondly, the printed surface to start with was not as smooth as I would have liked, but that happens with printed pieces, especially that small. The injection molded figures tend to have a much better and smoother surface. Well, lesson learned though. I just would have liked to have gotten it better with a 45 dollar figure.
Hey Ross ,

For what it’s worth , I think you’ve done a bang up job !

Not being familiar with the art ( in and of itself ) of Figure painting (ones done as a child / teen were fun , but forgettable) , of any note ... what you’re sharing looks good .
I think perhaps you’re being too hard on yourself critically ;).

Also , don’t discard the copies you’ve moulded if they’ve a couple of issues with them around the tusk areas , I remember seeing some tauntauns with broken / damaged ones in the film ... possibly from having head - butting contests , or close escapes from predators !:facepalm

:cheersGed

Thank you Blakeh, that means a lot coming from someone who has done the exquisite work that you have. :thumbsup As I was saying to Ged, I see where it went a bit sideways and I learned from it :thumbsup
I think it looks perfect!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks my friend, it will serve the purpose and I'm sure to the observer it will look just fine. I won't make the same mistake with the winter clad Leia once I get her from Gus. I probably ought to check in with him to see how it's coming
I'm impressed. .. you learn quick i see. not bad at all :)
good job!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-T805 met Tapatalk

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back