Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415
Subscribe
    From
    maricopa, az
    1 Week Ago  Aug 10, 2018, 10:15 AM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #351

hey thanks my friend! I think that's a great idea, progressive shots. I suppose though I should go ahead and prepare the ceiling panel, so it at least "looks" like something. It's going to probably be a weeks work just building the ceiling lights. Pretty sure the best thing to do is have the top removable for access and not have to always reach in from the front...just in case
    korben44 said: View Post
    Looks amazing, brother! It's like looking at what the Rebels were doing prior to having the fleet there... You know? This is like it was after or during setup for the fleet to make it a temporary base... You should grab a shot with all the lights on and equipment set up, but no vehicles or people. Kind of like the quiet before the storm. And then have a shot after with everyone there and all the vehicles and droids. Just a thought.
    From
    Scranton, PA
    1 Week Ago  Aug 10, 2018, 11:48 AM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #352

You're welcome. A removeable top sounds like a good idea, indeed. I can imagine how much work is going to go into the lighting for the ceiling... Should be fun!
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    1 Week Ago  Aug 10, 2018, 9:17 PM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #353

Agree with what korben suggested regarding - before , during and after pics - when setting up your diorama Ross ... but ,...

Do you have any experience at all with making videos mate ?
    Asking cause even though that’ll probably mean a whole ‘nother set of ‘ headaches ‘ for you in planning and shooting it .....

It’d just be sooo cool to see it coming together in stages like the real thing -
    1) cave / area discovered & excavated . 2) preliminary construction of main maintenance sectors , with lighting and wiring installed . 3) vehicles/ personnel arriving in stages/ groups etc , etc ,,, You know, kind of like a ‘ Making of ‘Echo Base - the Lost / Recovered ‘ video archives !...
    You wouldn’t have to shoot/ photograph every little detail added or progress made , just the major ones

Yeah , it’s a huge ask , but thought I’d make one anyway . Either way , this is shaping up to be Epic in scope . Loving this !

Ged
    From
    maricopa, az
    6 Days Ago  Aug 11, 2018, 2:53 PM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #354

Het Ged, thanks for the ideas, you guys have really helped me make this thing better than it otherwise would have been! I'm not so great with videos, but it's a good thought. If I did try they would suck. But I will keep up the progressive still shots as close to what you described as possible. Getting ready to post last nights work, it's really starting to look like something. Gotta sting more ground lights today and fit the wall piece above the cave and blend it in, should be easy. Then more cool shots tonight I would have started earlier today but I got a nasty gram from the HOA Nazis and had to trim the tree in the front and clean the leaves off the yard...in nearly 100 degrees!
    gedmac66 said: View Post
    Agree with what korben suggested regarding - before , during and after pics - when setting up your diorama Ross ... but ,...

Do you have any experience at all with making videos mate ?
    Asking cause even though that’ll probably mean a whole ‘nother set of ‘ headaches ‘ for you in planning and shooting it .....

It’d just be sooo cool to see it coming together in stages like the real thing -
    1) cave / area discovered & excavated . 2) preliminary construction of main maintenance sectors , with lighting and wiring installed . 3) vehicles/ personnel arriving in stages/ groups etc , etc ,,, You know, kind of like a ‘ Making of ‘Echo Base - the Lost / Recovered ‘ video archives !...
    You wouldn’t have to shoot/ photograph every little detail added or progress made , just the major ones

Yeah , it’s a huge ask , but thought I’d make one anyway . Either way , this is shaping up to be Epic in scope . Loving this !

Ged
    From
    maricopa, az
    6 Days Ago  Aug 11, 2018, 2:59 PM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #355

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base1.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	836158Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base2.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	836159Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base4.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	118.9 KB 
ID:	836160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base5.jpeg 
Views:	29 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	836161Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base6.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	836163Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base7.jpeg 
Views:	38 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	836164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base8.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	836165I'm really proud of the cave! The seams all blended with the snow that showed up a day early. Today is hooking up the floor lights in the front for the Xwing, and planting and connecting the floor lights for the Falcon. It's really getting to be exciting
    From
    Perth, Western Australia
    6 Days Ago  Aug 11, 2018, 5:06 PM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #356

This is looking so beautiful Ross ! , the 1st & 3rd pics in particular with the way your hidden lighting sources plays across the ‘ snowed ‘ surfaces in the alcoves and the’ natural ‘cave is simply stunning ! ... Congratulations !

I know you’ve mentioned leaving track marks for the equipment/ maintenance gear which is an accurate detail to incorporate , and perhaps the droids too seeings how they’re ‘ rolling ‘ over it , but going by the images seen I’d not worry about the human made footprints due to the snows ( scale wise ) uneven surface . Just a thought .

Ged
    From
    maricopa, az
    6 Days Ago  Aug 11, 2018, 5:47 PM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #357

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base9.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	836189Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base10.jpeg 
Views:	36 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	836190Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base11.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	91.6 KB 
ID:	836191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base12.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	836192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base13.jpeg 
Views:	35 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	836193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base14.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	836194she's kinda ugly from the back...but...
    the Falcon ground lights were a tedious affair, hair thin wire...soldering and shrink wrapping, ugh. But that phase is complete. I just stood the thing on end and worked the bottom. Will next glue down the Xwings and once set snug, I'll upend it again to tie in their wiring.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again Ged! I did play around with the foot print thing, and you're quite correct, won't see it anyway. As far as the lighting goes...I'm wingin' it
    gedmac66 said: View Post
    This is looking so beautiful Ross ! , the 1st & 3rd pics in particular with the way your hidden lighting sources plays across the ‘ snowed ‘ surfaces in the alcoves and the’ natural ‘cave is simply stunning ! ... Congratulations !

I know you’ve mentioned leaving track marks for the equipment/ maintenance gear which is an accurate detail to incorporate , and perhaps the droids too seeings how they’re ‘ rolling ‘ over it , but going by the images seen I’d not worry about the human made footprints due to the snows ( scale wise ) uneven surface . Just a thought .

Ged
    From
    Townsville-Australia
    6 Days Ago  Aug 12, 2018, 12:16 AM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #358

This is looking brilliant, I can't wait to see it with all the ships and equipment.

Ron
    From
    maricopa, az
    5 Days Ago  Aug 12, 2018, 11:29 AM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #359

Many thanks Hemble, it's turning out much better than I thought, so far. If it weren't for all the help and suggestions from all my friends here on the RPF, it would not be so
    Hemble said: View Post
    This is looking brilliant, I can't wait to see it with all the ships and equipment.

Ron
    From
    Scranton, PA
    5 Days Ago  Aug 12, 2018, 5:49 PM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #360

Brilliant! Looks like it's just about ready to be flooded with the rebellion...
    From
    maricopa, az
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2018, 7:52 AM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #361

you know it! Need to place some ships and stuff to figure out where to lay ground cables and place people, then pick it all up and do that. I was telling Blake I thought some pins or tiny pieces of cut rod attached to at least one foot would do the trick. drill the floor for pin locators, then I can move things around if I want. I'm taking a break this week of sorts. I had a buddy send me a Testors Area 51 UFO to build for him and I've been putting it off way too long. It's a cheesy crap kit but I'll do what I can with it. I don't think it's even worth the probably 1/2 page thread to post anything
    Brilliant! Looks like it's just about ready to be flooded with the rebellion...
    From
    Scranton, PA
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2018, 8:53 AM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #362

My dad was in this weekend for my nephews birthday... So I haven't even stepped foot in my hobby room since Thursday of last week... I'll be putting in some serious time this week with my dio's...
    From
    maricopa, az
    5 Days Ago  Aug 13, 2018, 9:08 AM - Re: 1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama #363

I hear ya, I'm gonna whip this UFO this week, and the wife is doing a girls weekend in Sedona so I'll have the entire weekend unfettered with MY project
    My dad was in this weekend for my nephews birthday... So I haven't even stepped foot in my hobby room since Thursday of last week... I'll be putting in some serious time this week with my dio's...