1/72 Hoth Echo Base Hangar diorama

Thanks brother! yeah, I had no idea, this is my first one...could be the last as well, at this scale anyway. no where to put any more :wacko But, at least I'm doing the one that would be my favorite of all things I could have done :thumbsup
Halfway to awesome! There's so much that goes into these dioramas... It's really amazing.

Thanks brother! yeah, I had no idea, this is my first one...could be the last as well, at this scale anyway. no where to put any more :wacko But, at least I'm doing the one that would be my favorite of all things I could have done :thumbsup

Yeah, smaller scales are easier to display, that's for sure. My Bespin dio is huge in comparison! But it's going to be so much fun to put together.

That one you could even have protruding from a wall and have an appropriate sized picture of where Lando walks out when they first get there...had you considered that? just a thought...
Yeah, smaller scales are easier to display, that's for sure. My Bespin dio is huge in comparison! But it's going to be so much fun to put together.

That one you could even have protruding from a wall and have an appropriate sized picture of where Lando walks out when they first get there...had you considered that? just a thought...

Well, since I have both the MF and Slave 1 on landing pads, I'm doing a duel parter, where Boba is taking away Han, frozen in carbonite, and the other side I'm going to have Leia, Luke, Chewy, Lando, C3PO and R2 escaping storm troopers...

That sounds cool :thumbsup gonna take up some space at 1/72 though :lol I only say that because I had a decent sized house (1776sqft) before my now wife moved in. Now I have to ask where I can put stuff :facepalm
Well, since I have both the MF and Slave 1 on landing pads, I'm doing a duel parter, where Boba is taking away Han, frozen in carbonite, and the other side I'm going to have Leia, Luke, Chewy, Lando, C3PO and R2 escaping storm troopers...

That sounds cool :thumbsup gonna take up some space at 1/72 though :lol I only say that because I had a decent sized house (1776sqft) before my now wife moved in. Now I have to ask where I can put stuff :facepalm

Absolutely! It's a 4 foot by 2 foot 'L' shaped platform. It's going in my office and I think I'll be building a table just for it...lol...

now there's a thought, I could put some stuff in my office at work :thumbsup

If they allow it, why not?!

That's what I have done :lol

I did have my 1/72 ish stuff at the office, but it had grown a little large

so I took it home....

and brought in my 1/48 ish stuff to the office :lol

As an aside, if you had more vertical space, you could put the walkers above the rebel base (i.e. a ground layer on top of the roof of the hangar/caves. At least that's what I have planned for when I get around to my 1/144 dio.

I've had to move my new 1/72 trilogy stuff and the prequel stuff to their own shelves in a bookcase next to my desk at home

As far as the "multi-level" display I had mentioned, something like this

http://forum.rebelscum.com/photogallery/data/2548/HothGIANTsmall.jpg

if only Ross had another shelf above it or more vertical room

You could use the Revell AT-AT (it is pretty much the prefect size for 1/72 scale) and some gun turrets, plus a trench

Then the rebel base below

Well yeah! I can do that... there's another identical shelf right above, about a 4" up. I don't know so much about a trench...but I need to know where I can get me ruddy hands on a 1/72ish AT-AT. THAT would rock!! :thumbsup
I've had to move my new 1/72 trilogy stuff and the prequel stuff to their own shelves in a bookcase next to my desk at home

You could use the Revell AT-AT (it is pretty much the prefect size for 1/72 scale) and some gun turrets, plus a trench

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Blakeh, that's an impressive collection you've got, most EXCELLENT!! I see a few things I need to acquire :thumbsup

Well yeah! I can do that... there's another identical shelf right above, about a 4" up. I don't know so much about a trench...but I need to know where I can get me ruddy hands on a 1/72ish AT-AT. THAT would rock!! :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

BTW Blakeh, that's an impressive collection you've got, most EXCELLENT!! I see a few things I need to acquire :thumbsup

Like I mentioned, based on scaling up from the height of Bandai 1/144 AT-AT, as well as scaling from a 22.5 meter tall AT-AT, the Revell AT-AT is pretty spot on for 1/72

Of course the problem is the ridiculous price people are asking for one. At one point I think Revell of Germany re-released it, but it is out of production again

Still if you are patient you can occasionally come across a reasonably priced one. Often Revell labels it as 1/53 scale, but that is not accurate (like many of their other listed scales for Star Wars stuff)

It was around $40 to $50 but sometimes drop as low as $30 when it was available

Unfortunately, this is about as cheap as I've seen it

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Ro...MIzePuobCT3AIVwSFpCh38XQN7EAQYAiABEgIEtfD_BwE

It needs some TLC to turn it into a good replica, most notable, it is missing the armor plating on the sides of the head, but you are more than capable of fixing that.

I did it for mine, but it wasn't too hard

Note, those are 1/48 figures. I was posing them with it since someone was interested how the Star Wars Legion or 1/48 stuff looked with it. I think it helps show it looks too small for 1/53

It looks more appropriate with other 1/72 scale stuff

Last edited:
As I was reading, I thought for sure you were going to say 100 bucks or more...for an AT-AT that size, I'd happily shell out 50+ , I guess now I'm on the hunt. Thanks for showing us that Blakeh, and inspiring me to expand my collection as well as adding something really cool to go above Echo Base!! :thumbsup
Like I mentioned, based on scaling up from the height of Bandai 1/144 AT-AT, as well as scaling from a 22.5 meter tall AT-AT, the Revell AT-AT is pretty spot on for 1/72

Of course the problem is the ridiculous price people are asking for one. At one point I think Revell of Germany re-released it, but it is out of production again

Still if you are patient you can occasionally come across a reasonably priced one. Often Revell labels it as 1/53 scale, but that is not accurate (like many of their other listed scales for Star Wars stuff)

It was around $40 to $50 but sometimes drop as low as $30 when it was available

Unfortunately, this is about as cheap as I've seen it

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Ro...MIzePuobCT3AIVwSFpCh38XQN7EAQYAiABEgIEtfD_BwE

It needs some TLC to turn it into a good replica, most notable, it is missing the armor plating on the sides of the head, but you are more than capable of fixing that.

I did it for mine, but it wasn't too hard

Note, those are 1/48 figures. I was posing them with it since someone was interested how the Star Wars Legion or 1/48 stuff looked with it. I think it helps show it looks too small for 1/53

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/890/42474671001_9879d29e4f_c.jpg

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1746/42424321812_f2a02d5e3b_c.jpg

It looks more appropriate with other 1/72 scale stuff

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/890/42424336472_0b4e8892a0_c.jpg

ice cave 5.jpgice cave 6.JPGice cave 7.jpegof course there is an amount of what will certainly be "laborious" blending to do, and still some paint (spray white wall texture on the foam gives a green/blue hue, evidently) I think I hit a bulls eye with the expanding foam. I'm going to have to send the you tube guy a nice note. Xwing #3 is done also.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back