Question about legailty of certain costume props (not copyright)

LtPinkerton

Stumbling around online looking to expand my collection, I came across some sellers who where selling X-Files (and other FBI shows) IDs and metal badges. I looked at the badges and they indeed say Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Is it legal to own these? I love X-Files, and having props that look that nice is cool but it seems odd. Ive read you cant posses federal badges unless they where issued to you or family members. These badges look pretty real, which is cool from the collecting point but a little worrying.

Ive tired to do some light research on my own, but I still have no idea. I'm hoping someone smarter than me knows about this stuff.

My question extends to all badges as well. I dont want to get into any trouble for buying anything like this, so might as well ask.

As long as you don't go flashing them around and pretending that you're a real LEO of some sort you'll be fine. No one's going to come knocking on your door for buying a replica badge and/or ID from a TV show, any show or movie and regardless if it;s PD. Sheriff, or Federal Law Enforcement.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back