Best way to sell large Star Wars POTF2-2014 collection?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I posted this at Rebelscum and got no answer, so I'm going to you guys. My nephew probably has at least 200 figures (part of my old collection and what he got for Christmas/B-day) at least along with numerous vehicles. All the figures are POTF2 up to 2012-13 or so. He's 15 so he's wanting to sell them. What I was going to do is sell all the figures as a big lot. My dad was trying to help him, though he doesn't know much about this stuff, and he wanted to part it out and sell the figures that are worth more (Build A Droid Darktrooper for example) separate. I say that if you sell it as a big lot (one lot of figures, one for vehicles, etc.), people would buy it to get the figures like that. So what opinion do you guys have?

Sell as a one big lot or split up in smaller lots, i.e thematically combined figs and vehicles, or less valuable figs with more valuable figs etc. In general, see if it is worth the hassle and how much it would be to stow it away for future gens of children in the family.

I was always one who thought it would be easier to sell one big lot and people would buy the whole thing to get that one or two figures that they really wanted. But after years of selling, I realized that usually was wrong. It works sometimes, but not always. People would ask for me to sell just the one or two items, and when I said no, they walked. People don't want to pay more for a bunch of stuff they don't want. I tried to sell a whole Indiana Jones props collection, and thought I could move it as a whole collection, only to find that most people already had some of the pieces and were not willing to buy it all just for a Grail diary or a Cross of Coronado; so I ended up splitting it up to move it.

I also tried to sell 13 guitars in one lot. I didn't want the hassle of selling them one by one, and meeting people over months via Craigslist to sell them for max value. So I lumped them in one lot and asked $3500. Now we are talking some Gretsch (Electromatics) guitars, a real Gibson Les Paul Studio, one Mexican Strat, an American Strat, two Mexican Teles, a 210 Taylor Acoustic, and much more. When you broke the value down, I was asking around $270 for each guitar. Seriously losing money as some of these were close to $1000 each.... but I just wanted them gone and had some immediate bills to pay, so I thought I could quickly move them.... BUT, no luck. I had people offer me $300 to separate out guitars they wanted, but they didn't want them all. I finally took them to a music store and they offered me $3000 for the lot, so I took it. It was a stupid move, but it was the cost to try and lump them all together and sell them. Had I asked $500 a piece and sold them one by one, I would have probably doubled my money.... but spend a few months dealing with it.

You'll always make more selling piece, by piece. But it does a lot more time. You may want to consider pulling out anything of notable value to sell individually, and then sell more worthless stuff in one big lot.

Yeah time is what I don't really want to deal with. I'm thinking of maybe making small lots like EU figures, Clonetroopers, Stormtroopers, Bounty Hunters, etc. and see if that works. The Darktrooper is probably the one worth the most, so I may just put it up with the Phase I and smaller Darktrooper, which I *think* was supposed to be Phase II. I think the other he saw was Mandalor from the Fett Evolutions set, and I don't think breaking up stuff like that would be best.

I'm starting to slim down my collection to a few specific points of interest.

My plan is to list them all on FB marketplace (my wife's idea, as I really don't do facebook) with a price, obo, with discounts on lot purchases and items in trade.

However, I know it'll take time for them all to go. I don't need the money, just the space (and maybe help finance a shoretrooper kit). Depending on your nephews situation, he may have time to do something similar. Large lump sums never sell quickly or for their value.

I sold a complete set of carded RotS figures (what was I thinking??) last year. I didn't want to bother selling each piece individually and I probably took a loss, but at the end of the day I was happy to be rid of it and happy to have a few hundred dollars more in my bank account.

What's more important to him? Sell them fast but not get as much or be patient and get the max amount of money? Start there.
Next, go to eBay. Click on the left and select the "completed items" option. This will show you what sold/didn't sell over the last 30 days and how much.Now, start plugging in your items one at a time. This will take you a while. Once done, this will give you an idea of what your collection is worth.
Now, let's pretend it's worth 500.00.
If he's in a hurry sell the lot on eBay for 400.00 or best offer.
If he's patient, put them up on etsy for full value. It may take a while but eventually it will sell.

I started going through it the other day. Now keep in mind his dad died when he was 4, so he got tons of stuff to kind of make up for that both when it happened and then for every birthday/Christmas until he was 12. So he was super spoiled. I counted all his figures, some of which I gave him from my collection, maybe 100, and he has 423! I think I had about 40 OT figures when I was little!

I looked on eBay sold items to check prices and he actually has a few that are worth a lot. Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, and Corran Horn loose all get about $60-80 a piece. The Phase III Darktrooper for $80+. He has quite a few that get $20 a piece. He has both Republic Commando sets (Delta and Omega Squads) and the other Elite Republic Forces set of Mandos which are up there too. So I think I'm going to sell all those individually (RCs as sets). Then he probably has about 100 Clonetroopers and maybe 20 Stormtroopers which I'll sell as sets. Those look like you can just list them as an auction and they'll get lots of bids. Of course if I do that I'd probably sell the for $1... So I don't know whether I should go auction or just set a BIN for around what some others have sold for. Then I'll just groups them like droids, aliens, Rebels, Jedi and Sith, etc. THEN he has that giant AT-AT, A-Wing. B-Wing, Y-Wing, X-Wing, animals (Rancor, Nexu, other Arena creatures), etc. etc.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back