Dragon Age: Regalia of Weisshaupt (WIP pics)

Nymeria

Any other Dragon Age fans around? :D Inquisition inspired me to make my first cosplay but Origins was my first love and my Grey Warden quickly climbed my 'future projects' list. While I thought it felt believable that there was no uniform as such in the first game, as last two Wardens would be making do with whatever armour they could find and patch, I really loved the Regalia of Weisshaupt sets introduced in DA2 and thought they would have been appropriate for the Awakening expansion.

References.png

I made my first version in 2016 for a cosplay music video by The 86th Floor Music. While I was pleased with most of it, my breastplate was my first attempt at foam-smithing and began looking truly battered after my first day in it, and I was bitterly disappointed that after the effort I put into my scale-maille, it was bulky and uncomfortable to wear, and the paint had begun flaking before I even managed to get it on camera. I hand cut each scale from 2mm craft foam, individually heat-shaped them and knitted them together into strips, which took me several months of quite intensive work.

I also had problems figuring out a way to make the tassets that would be sturdy enough (and comfortable enough) to squash into my wheelchair and sit on while getting around conventions without them taking too much damage, so if anyone has any thoughts, I'm open to suggestions!

Warden on Moor 2017 Edit.png
(photo credit: D. Allen)

I spent much of last winter working on upgrading it. The breastplate and scale-maille have been rebuilt from scratch, and this time I decided to go for aluminium scales and jump rings, which was considerably less work with a much neater result. I'm still busy with the leatherwork for my new gauntlets and greaves, but I'm hoping to have it ready for a convention next month.

DSC_0769.JPG DSC_0974.JPG

IMAG3590.jpg_20171111_223758.JPG

Mahariel v 2-0.png

I finally got a chance to wear it at Yorkshire Cosplay Con last weekend! I've discovered a couple of jobs that need doing, like securing the griffon emblem to my sleeve a little better (it had almost given up completely by the time I got around to photographs :lol) but I'm so pleased with how it's looking so far.

01 WoW.jpg
Photo by D. Allen / Warden on Wheels Cosplay

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back