Deagnostini Build the Red 5 X-Wing

Spacejunk

Hi all, don't know if there was already a thread for this, but I came across some recent info regarding the Deagnostini build the X-Wing. This partwork is now going to be live in the UK soon and hope that it makes it here downunder as well.

In 1977, the X-Wing became a Sci-Fi icon when Luke Skywalker flew it to victory over the Death Star. This 1:18 scale X-wing replica is based on the original full-sized prop and special effects X-wing miniatures that were created by Industrial Light & Magic for filming the Star Wars movies, making this model a stunning re-creation of a truly legendary spacecraft.

Build a superb replica of Luke Skywalker's orginal 'Red five' X-wing starfighter

X-wing Model Specifications:

Scale: 1:18
X-wing era - A New Hope (Battle of Yavin)
The X-Wing model replicates the X-wing that was assigned to Luke Skywalker to fly as a member of Red Squadron under the call sign 'Red Five'
Length: 74.4cm
Wingspan: 65.2cm & Height: 18.7cm (with S-foils closed and landing legs down)
Weight: Approx. 4kg
Official Lucasfilm licensed product.

X-Wing Model Features:

Laser Cannons: Each of the highly detailed cannons includes a model of the internal laser generator, plus an LED and fibre optic that lights up to mimic ‘firing’.

Removable Hyperdrive Section: The top section of the rear fuselage behind the droid socket lifts off to reveal a fully detailed hyperdrive unit, which is removable for inspection.

Proton Torpedo Bay: The lower panel in the fuselage is detachable, allowing the rack containing the proton torpedoes to be removed or reloaded.

Authentic Finish & Markings: Your X-wing comes pre-painted with markings based on Industrial Light & Magic’s models that were used to film the special effects shots in the first Star Wars movie.

Fusial-Thrust Engines: The outlet nozzles on the X-wing’s four S-foils light up to simulate the powerful thrust from its four sublight engines.

Sublight Engines: Each of the four engine cases have fully detailed internal workings that you assemble and install as you put the model together.

Movable S-Foils: The four S-foils are motorized, and open via remote control.

Cockpit: The canopy opens to reveal a superbly detailed interior with illuminated instrumentation, including the targeting computer.

Light-up R2-D2 unit: Your X-wing model comes complete with a scale replica of R2-D2. When inserted into the X-wing’s droid socket, R2’s head can turn and his sensors light up via remote control.

Landing Gear & Mounting Point: Your X-wing features landing gear that can be fitted to display your model on a shelf or table. You can also remove the landing gear and attach a mounting bracket to display the X-wing in flight mode.

Made of Metal and ABS plastic, this is a must-have model for any Star Wars collector or X-wing fan. Each issue contains an assembly guide with clear, step-by-step instructions, accompanied by detailed photos, to make building your X-wing as easy as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if some of the parts can be used on the Hasbro 1/18 X-Wing

That sure would be nice to replace the wings, cannons, and engines

They're both 1/18 scale, so it should be possible. Few models are exactly the scale they are purported to be. They are close....a good quality 1/48 model may be 1/47-1/49 but at that scale you would hardly notice the difference. But as the scale gets larger some elements can appear incorrect if switched around. The Hasbro is 74.93cm long so less than half a centimetre between the two X-wings. Almost exactly the same length, but the proportions may be out on either, or both models.

With all of the details that Spacejunk mentioned, I think the price is worth it (even though no USD price has been announced...just comparing the price to the MF). Hopefully it comes out soon in North America.

TazMan2000

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a thread of this model in the Studio Scale/Commercial Kits section. (Even though 1:18 is not studio scale for the X-wing).

TazMan2000

I received a survey from Deagostini the other day. It was in regards to this x wing. There was a section in the survey that offered a mirror display stand for an extra £1.50 on top of the price of each issue and for an extra £2 on top of each issue price you could get a huge yavin display base with hangar bay equipment, crew and lights.

It sounds like a pretty complete model they are offering- I like the fact they include a lot of the inner workings and hardware- great for a service diorama.

My converted Hasbro Hero X Wing to open wings is 'mostly' accepted as being 1/18 scale. It's 76cm long so seems to be the same scale as the Deagnostini X Wing.

As for usable parts from the Deagnostini for the Hasbro hero, I'm sure it's feasible except for the fact that the Deagnostini is $900 pounds ($1600AUD and $1200 USD).....that's a super expensive way to get all the parts required to convert the Hasbro Hero.

There is a seller who offers all the required conversion parts for the Hasbro, but even that is still in the $500 USD range and doesn't include internal wing mount.

A little off topic, I know, but worth mentioning. ;)

I don't know how accurate the DG version is, I liked the Hasbro for the sheer size and the DG is that (or very close to it) size, so it would be a very cool/ fun build and to own...but the price is just so.....WOW:eek.....it would be great to see someone finish one though.

hero x wing.jpga2.png

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back