Warcraft Movie Foot Soldier Armor 3D Models [Added Download Link]

boerb

Hey there,

I’m a huge Warcraft fan and owner of a 3D printer. A few years ago (2016) I hired a very talented 3D artist to create a 3D model of the Foot Soldier armor from the Warcraft Movie.
While cleaning my storage, I recently found the files and I’d like to share them for free.

The model is based on this video about the 1:6 figure from WETA Workshop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dQPq-5QBxk

I’m not quite sure about the legal situation. The design might be a trademark of Blizzard Entertainment. (?!)

Here are some sample images:
full.PNGzoom1.PNGzoom2.PNGzoom3.PNGzoom4.PNG

Download Link: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2915730

Greetings,
boerb

Last edited:
Wow, those files look really nice. If you're interested, Adam Savage just posted a video on Tested of him unboxing, displaying, and trying on a suit of production Alliance soldier armor from the Warcraft film. I'm not entirely sure whether somebody has already pooled a ridiculously specific and detailed collection of reference images for every part of the costume, but there's definitely some good information there. It has a lot of good references and images, as well as some decent insight into the sort of construction it follows. Apparently for the armor they made molds from the sculpted 3d models, and sprayed them with a polyurethane truck bed liner to make the armor, which they then treated and painted.

I can help figure out the scales and chain maille, although I haven't identified the exact type of maille. This article from them lists what rings and scales they used, it's just a matter of matching them to the right character or suit, which shouldn't be all that difficult. Almost all of it, if not all was anodized or bright aluminum rings. For the soldier armor, it's definitely not 16G, I'm making an originally designed suit of armor for a cosplay with 16G 5/16th inch diameter rings and they're far too small. I'm willing to bet that it's the 12G 1/2 inch ones, since that's what they used for the horse barding, but I'm not entirely sure. I hope this helped.

Has anyone figured out what fabrics they used for the underclothes, as well as how they imprinted the designs and embroidery on them? That's my biggest struggle right now. I'm not sure what fabrics they used for it, what would be good patterns to base it off of, or how they imparted all the details upon them. Same as the banners and flags. Every tutorial I've seen has been by larpers and historical reenactors, not geared towards recreation and reproduction.

Thanks for your reply.
Prop Store Auction is currently „selling” a lot of Warcraft Movie props. There are some interesting reference photos.

You're welcome - it seems that for the underpinnings, they quilted part of the shoulders and chest to help support and keep the actor comfortable in the armor. You can see in those pictures as well in Adam's video that the back of the shirt zips up the back, which is a bit odd. But it makes sense for that, considering it would be seen through the armor if it was in the front. I'm not really sure why for the pants they used a second material for the calves and inner thighs. I'm guessing that it's a breathable knit cotton or athletic fabric meant to stay breathable and form fitting, so the actor still retains some range of movement. It looks like for the decorative elements, it's appliqué fabric, not embroidery or screen printing. Here's some of the banners.
img01.jpg
I can't seem to figure out how they designed and produced that. It doesn't look like screen printing, production time wouldn't have allowed for painting, and the designs are more complicated than appliqué would typically allow for. Maybe they cut out a thin gold polyester fabric with a vinyl cutter or laser cutter, and adhered it on with a spray adhesive?

If you don't mind me asking...

you hired a 3D designer to make these for you, paid him, and are now sharing his work for free without his knowledge? Or did you ask him if you could share them?

I think you're missing the point of what I'm saying here. Does he know you're sharing his work for free here? Because you hired him personally, for personal use. I'm not sure if he'd appreciate it if you'd share it on here for free. If he knows this and is okay with that, I haven't said a word.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. I hired him to create this 3D model for me. So, I’m the owner of those models.

If you hire a company to build a house for you, you are still the owner of the house.

It's a little less black and white for art. His other models are for sale as well so basically, you're taking away potential customers for him now by offering this for free, which he probably custom made for you. I'll await his response.

If I had to guess, the time for failure is going to be based on whether the polyurethane degrades first, or the paint. I can't find any specific numbers for how long the polyurethane coating lasts, but I imagine it'll probably be quite a long time. Coatings like that are meant to deal with abrasion, severe temperature variations, aging, etc. They're not brittle like plastics will become after being exposed to time and heat.It probably will warp over time, especially since it's going to be somewhat flexible and not bound to another material like its original intended application.

All I can say for sure is that it'll probably last a lot longer than most foam or thermoplastic props and armor, but not that of metal, or natural fibers and materials when stored in the right conditions.

I was hoping to get a suit from the Propstore auction too, but the cost escalated quickly. Ended up winning a sword/shield though and am working on piecing together a suit. Just finished making my own gloves!

warcraft_movie_gloves_cosplay.jpg warcraft_movie_gloves_cosplay_back.jpg

Last edited:
So I tried using one of the files today and it did not work. Just a heads up boerb the models are all hollow and they dont hold up to being 3d printed.

Sorry to resurrect the dead, but what scale is the armour made for? I have downloaded it from Thingiverse and would love to make it all for wearing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back