King Kong 1933

I haven't purchased any fur yet, so I'm not sure whether it will hide those raised areas or not. I'm also not sure how I want to adhere the fur to the muscles or if I want to adhere it at all, instead just sliding on pieces of fur "clothing." Thanks for the suggestion about the paste, is this mixture durable enough to last many years?

It should last a very long time.

I added a little more volume to the thighs and also some material to places that needed smoothing out/more support (like the chest which was gaping and stretched out from the stuffing process).

20180810_000702.jpg20180810_000814.jpg

It's been a long long long time since I worked on Kong, but I haven't forgotten about him! I spent a good portion of the day making the eyes. Bob Burns's Kong, as he received him, still had his eyes (you can find the zombie looking picture earlier in this thread), but I have never seen what those eyes look like in color. Some of the other dinosaurs, however, still have their eyes, and they are all brown (picture below) so that's what I was shooting for.

f34d413e35efe8a631b2b5731d0b29ca-magic.jpg

I started by making them out of epoxy, and then I painted them and gloss coated them -- all pretty straight forward.

20181021_144051.jpg
20181021_163020.jpg
20181021_170904.jpg

They aren't as shiny as I want, but I can always address that later. The original eyes were made of glass, and I had no idea how I would do that, so I'm pretty happy with the results.

20181021_172453.jpg
20181021_172330.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Added this little hinge a while back, and then started sculpting yesterday.

20181022_153506.jpg20181022_153616.jpg

I'm shooting for the round face Kong, since this is the 18" model after all (maybe someday I'll get to the taller Kong that fights the T-Rex). I still have to add all the little wrinkles that go on his face, but so far I'm happy how it's turning out. Since this will be a static model, I wanted to give him some expression instead of just giving him a neutral face, and I decided to make him look more like a monster rather than a frightened animal or whatever. I think it works better as a display piece that way.

20181201_000737.jpg
20181201_003312.jpg
20181201_003253.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Added this little hinge a while back, and then started sculpting yesterday.

View attachment 960502View attachment 960503

I'm shooting for the round face Kong, since this is the 18" model after all (maybe someday I'll get to the taller Kong that fights the T-Rex). I still have to add all the little wrinkles that go on his face, but so far I'm happy how it's turning out. Since this will be a static model, I wanted to give him some expression instead of just giving him a neutral face, and I decided to make him look more like a monster rather than a frightened animal or whatever. I think it works better as a display piece that way.

View attachment 960504
View attachment 960505
View attachment 960506

Thanks for looking!
Great job Joe on the on Kong's head sculpt

I tweaked the brows a little bit because they weren't accurate when looking at them from the side. And then I started experimenting with his wrinkles. On the real puppet, it looks like they applied thin strands of latex (I think latex) to give him wrinkles.

20181214_183938.jpg

The more I looked at the sculpt, the less happy I was with it. I tried moving the nose down farther, which helped, but I determined the biggest offender was that the eyes were too small. So I made a larger pair using the same process as mentioned before, and this is where I am.

20190127_001600.jpg

I haven't done much with the expression yet, but I'm already a lot happier with how it's turning out. I think it looks a lot more accurate.

Love your Kong..I've see some of Ray Harryhausen' s puppets first hand and he showed me one of his skelaton puppets one time..he had it in a little coffin..I miss this type of animation and my childhood hero Ray..His fave movie was Kong and his hero was O'Brien ..

Here's a scale that O' Brien drew for an unmade project ..it shows Kong & Frankenstein monster..he lists Kong at 19'8" looks about like his Jungle size ..hope this helps ..as your Kong is 19.5" then that's an inch to the foot..perfect for Doll house scale..you should be able to get figures and props to display with him ..

Attachments

• KINDLE_CAMERA_1546553054000.jpg
    KINDLE_CAMERA_1546553054000.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Here's a scale that O' Brien drew for an unmade project ..it shows Kong & Frankenstein monster..he lists Kong at 19'8" looks about like his Jungle size ..hope this helps ..as your Kong is 19.5" then that's an inch to the foot..perfect for Doll house scale..you should be able to get figures and props to display with him ..

I knew from the beginning he was 1:12 scale, but I don't think I knew that was also doll house scale. Pretty funny! And it's a shame we'll never get that Kong vs the Frankenstein Monster movie. Maybe that will be inspiration for a future model... I've also had it in the back of my head to do a 1:12 scale Son of Kong and Joe Young, but I don't want to think of anything else until I have the big guy finished.

Yes, it's hard to say how big he is, looks bigger in NY than on the island..I think that's just for effect..I like the jungle scenes best..there are lots of unfinished projects in the history of animation .. I would have loved to have seen THE HULK done in puppet form..I think Ray was at one time going to do FRANKENSTEIN, But more like the book not Obie's giant version..The Bernie Wrightson book done as frame by frame would be wonderful ..

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back