Is your favorite TV show canceled?

Last Man Standing is coming back on FOX, but Mandy (Molly Ephraim) isn't:facepalm It should have stayed cancelled if that's the case.

Last Man Standing is coming back on FOX, but Mandy (Molly Ephraim) isn't:facepalm It should have stayed cancelled if that's the case.

Apparently Eve (Kaitlyn Dever) is only going to be making infrequent guest appearances too. I've also read that Boyd is being replaced with an older actor and will be a much more central character. It looks like the whole show may well be a different beast altogether.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eve was going off to the Air Force Academy, so I get that. And honestly, I wasn't too invested in the Boyd character. But the Mandy thing? Well, hopefully it's a seamless transition like when they replaced the original Kristen.

I'm sad that Timeless was cancelled, esp. since it ended on a cliff hanger and it looked like season 3 would have been epic. Hopefully some streaming service will pick it up and at least give it a half season to wrap things up. On the bright side Netflix picked up Lucifer and Amazon picked up The Expanse so it's not all bad for me next season.

I saw they are going to do a two part series finale to wrap it up. Which means they will probably ruin it. It was a great show that I could watch with my kids.

I rarely watch a new show when it airs. If I do it will most certainly get canceled.

Err, wrong thread maybe? :lol

It occurs to me that Boyd was recast for the second season of LMS too, so... At least it's not like recasting Darren in Bewitched. :facepalm

I never knew why they recast Darren but just recently read that the original Darren had to leave the show because of an injury he received while filming a movie that would no longer let him do much of anything. What is funny is that today they would just have a divorce and have Samantha remarry. It can work with minor characters but you can't just replace one of the main characters without some sort of explanation. This also happened on a show called Alias Smith and Jones back in the early 70's where one of the leads killed himself and they just brought in another actor to play the same character and the show was cancelled by the end of the season.

It occurs to me that Boyd was recast for the second season of LMS too, so... At least it's not like recasting Darren in Bewitched. :facepalm
Its not so much the recasting as the reason. They are making him older to put him more centrally in the show. I worry that will shift the whole dynamic of the show. I dont want it to become "Bringing up Boyd" and just be Mike and Ryan going at it every week. It was much more than that.

Its not so much the recasting as the reason. They are making him older to put him more centrally in the show. I worry that will shift the whole dynamic of the show. I dont want it to become "Bringing up Boyd" and just be Mike and Ryan going at it every week. It was much more than that.

I wonder how much say FOX had in who came back and the direction the show might take. They have a spotty record with some of their shows.

I wonder how much say FOX had in who came back and the direction the show might take. They have a spotty record with some of their shows.

No word on Molly Ephraim's departure, except to say it was her choice (I think). They still have some options developing Kyle and Mandy's story, as Kyle inherited some land from his mother, on which he plans to build a home. I don't think the show will be overly Boyd-centric. But it wouldn't be the first time a child was bumped up in age, just to satisfy future story lines (Family Ties).

I'll never forgive them for canceling Home Improvement!

Was it cancelled. I don't remember. But as you recall, that was the era of sitcom salary wars, between Allen and Kelsey Grammar, who were making in the neighborhood of 1.25 million per episode. At the time, that was an even more substantial amount of money, and I could see why anyone would want to cut that loose in favor of a lower rated show with greater monetary returns (show business is still business after all).

For the record, while I did enjoy Home Improvement, I much prefer LMS.

Seinfeld turned down a reported 5M per episode for another season.

The stunner to me was that I believe Ray Romana actually got that much at the end for his show.

It occurs to me that LMS may be the most recast show in TV history. From season one alone they recast three characters (Boyd, Kristen, and Ryan). And now Mandy and Boyd (again)? That's got to be some kind of record!

Last edited:
It occurs to me that LMS may be the most recast show in TV history. From season one alone they recast three characters (Boyd, Kristen, and Ryan). And now Mandy and Boyd (again)? That's got to be some kind of record!

Researching via TV Tropes, and this is what I found:

Bewitched, trope namer for "The Other Darin," replaced Dick York with Dick Sargent, Alice Pearce (who died) with Sandra Gould (temporarily with another character immediately after Pearce's death, then Gould took over the original character), Irene Vernon with Kasey Rogers, Robert F Simon with Roy Roberts, and Tabitha was played by Cynthia Black, Heidi and Laura Gentry, Tamar and Julie Young, Diane Murphy, and Erin Murphy, though as a baby-to-toddler, not sure if we should count that. So 4(5) characters recast over its run.

The TV adaptation of The Aldritch Family had 14 different actor/actresses rotating through 4 of the 5 main characters. Over only 4 years.

Dang, there's a lot of these. Just check for yourself.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back