Bohemian Rhapsody (Post-release)

What did you think of Bohemian Rhapsody?

• Total voters
Re: Bohemian Rhapsody

I'm amazed at how the actors look so much like "the band"... Definitely a must see IMO. I remember being about 3-4 in my papa's garden, the old radio blasting We Are the Champions , must have been 75 in Scotland.

^^^ Agreed. Especially Brian May. Gwilym Lee really sounds like May and it's clear he's been studying his stage mannerisms.

Like any hardcore fan of a given “thing” (such as a book or a band), I’ll just have to mentally adjust to not sweat the various changes and contractions that are necessary to fit a sprawling story into a two-hour visual medium. (In this case, just from the trailer, I see they’ve recast “We Will Rock You” as having been written sometime in the 1980s after Freddie adopted the clone look, and they place several other songs (such as “‘39”) much earlier than they were actually created; also, per the official description released by the studio, Freddie’s HIV diagnosis now precedes Live Aid to add to the drama of that triumphant performance). But it is what it is due to the nature of film, and, given how unlikely the prospect of a Queen bio pic seemed even 15 years ago, I'll enjoy it on its own terms.

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh. I thought this was just a typical "band" movie. Even then, it's not much of that, either. It can't decide if it wants to be a biopic or a band movie and so I felt it was a bit scatter shot for much of it. It's nothing really great but not bad either. It's all just a bit hum-drum.

If anything, this makes me look forward to the Rocketman, the film about Elton John. That looks more entertaining in a fantasy-musical kind of way.

Looks good. Looks like it's going to be very flattering to Queen. Not surprising since Brian May and Roger Taylor are among the producers. No John Deacon though? I know he's out of the "Queen business" now but I thought they'd consult him and then give him a credit as a seal of approval.

Very late to reply to this, however John doesn't answer any correspondence from either Brian or Roger, which they take as tacit approval of what they asked etc.

And I'll add (sorry to go on, but it's so rare I get to talk Queen :)) - let's not forget hat Freddie was the first major rock start to contract HIV, in a time when there was great misunderstanding and intolerance of the disease. And he was a closeted gay/bi man, again at a time when not only was homophobia more rampant but, speaking frankly, it was anathema to the hard rock/macho world. (Remember, fans threw razor blades on stage when he grew his mustache in emulation of the "San Francisco gay clone" look, and his cross-dressing in the "I Want To Break Free" video effectively ended their career in America for the reminder of his lifetime.) All of those things contributed to his decision to hide his illness, and to his bandmates decision to do so as well to guard his privacy.

That's a rich tapestry for both drama and commentary to just skip - maybe another film in the future will address it. How I wish someone a bit more daring like a David Fincher had decided to take the reins on this film. The film may have ended up being less literal perhaps, but likely more meaty.

M

Not sure how closeted Freddie was, considering his antics with waiters etc, was well known and reported for years.

Not sure how closeted Freddie was, considering his antics with waiters etc, was well known and reported for years.

Well, let's distinguish between "closeted" and "outed". While Freddie's behavior (in addition to his general demeanor, which certainly tended to indicate his preferences) may have been detected and outed, he never willingly came out of the closet of his own choosing. Instead he usually dodged the question or, at most, made comments that he immediately walked back as merely jokes to be outrageous ("I'm as gay as a daffodil, darling!"). He kept his private life private, both out of deference to his family and because those were very different times where an open admission of homosexuality by a rock star would kill a career. See also, for example, Rob Halford, whose sexuality was apparently an open secret in the music community - but not publicly acknowledged by Rob until the late 1990s/early 2000s after he had left Judas Priest to form his own band.

M

Well, let's distinguish between "closeted" and "outed". While Freddie's behavior (in addition to his general demeanor, which certainly tended to indicate his preferences) may have been detected and outed, he never willingly came out of the closet of his own choosing. Instead he usually dodged the question or, at most, made comments that he immediately walked back as merely jokes to be outrageous ("I'm as gay as a daffodil, darling!"). He kept his private life private, both out of deference to his family and because those were very different times where an open admission of homosexuality by a rock star would kill a career. See also, for example, Rob Halford, whose sexuality was apparently an open secret in the music community - but not publicly acknowledged by Rob until the late 1990s/early 2000s after he had left Judas Priest to form his own band.

M

He was widely known to be homosexual, whether he said the exact words or not, it'd be splitting hairs for me to argue the point further.

It could be classed as one of life's what if moments, as nobody came out and saw what would happen to their careers.

He was widely known to be homosexual, whether he said the exact words or not, it'd be splitting hairs for me to argue the point further.

It could be classed as one of life's what if moments, as nobody came out and saw what would happen to their careers.

Thanks. I appreciate your points. But Queen themselves cite Freddie's appearance in drag in the "I Want To Break Free" video as the thing that "killed us in America". Freddie "let his freak flag fly'", so to speak, and Queen found firsthand that even the implication of being gay was too much for their American fan base in 1984. So, not so much a "what-if". (The U.K. and other countries, of course, got the joke better and understood the video was referencing a British TV show, and it didn't affect their careers elsewhere. But here in the U.S., it was the end for them until after Freddie had died and Wayne's World resurrected interest in them in 1992.)

Not a bad movie. Glazed over things to expect you to fill in the blanks and timeline. It was a little to centered just on Freddy. If that was the intent, they should have named the movie about him. I'd had liked to have seen more involvement of the rest of Queen.

One of my favourite bands of all time (up until the album they released just after Freddy's death- it was so utterly bland. LIke it was made for a bad late 80's romantic movie).

Thanks. I appreciate your points. But Queen themselves cite Freddie's appearance in drag in the "I Want To Break Free" video as the thing that "killed us in America". Freddie "let his freak flag fly'", so to speak, and Queen found firsthand that even the implication of being gay was too much for their American fan base in 1984. So, not so much a "what-if". (The U.K. and other countries, of course, got the joke better and understood the video was referencing a British TV show, and it didn't affect their careers elsewhere. But here in the U.S., it was the end for them until after Freddie had died and Wayne's World resurrected interest in them in 1992.)

That's a very good point. Being british myself, i think i was coming at it from the point of view of being here in the UK, and i didn't consider the difference in attitude between us and over in your country.

I utterly loved it!

Though afterward i went on a spree to learn the 'real life story" and see what if anything was changed. Looking back on it, while there were some significant changes made, I still enjoyed it just as much, even knowing.

I went to see this Monday night at a theater where there were only seats available in the first two rows, a position I never want to sit in, but wanted to see this movie. I loved the movie, and it was an amazing look into the people and events. this was a period in history that I was in Jr High and High school. I was first aware of them in 8th grade and listened to them to this day.

Yeah, I think this movie makes me love them even more.

Looking forward to seeing it this weekend. I’ve been fighting a severe cold all week and I am praying it clears up so I can go.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back