Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider Suit (Pic Heavy)

Squiddy

Hello everyone! A while back I made my first spidey suit and only just recently thought about making a post on here to show everyone!

So, I was looking to start with something a little easier for my first suit and ended up deciding on making a Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider suit.

First off, I went to a costume shop and bought a solid red skin suit. Nothing fancy there.

For the hoodie, I found a thin, light blue hoodie online from Hanes. I turned out to be a little more teal colored than I was expecting, but I was okay with that.

Onto the spider logo. I couldn't find one I really liked so I figured I'd take certain aspects from a few logos and put them all together. So I drew up this new logo. I only drew the left half first. to get it nice and symmetrical, I drew a vertical line down the halfway point. Then I took a normal piece of printer paper and traced the upper part of the spider I just drew. Then I flipped the paper over, lined it up with the vertical line and traced what I just traced, if that makes sense, haha. That way, when I traced over it, it transferred the pencil onto the main paper and voila! A perfect mirror of the other side! From there I glued it to a piece of cardboard and used an Xacto knife to cut out the spider and make a nice stencil. Then I traced it with a sharpie onto the hoodie and used a small brush and some black fabric paint to finish it up.

20180512_113149.jpg 20180512_113253.jpg 20180512_113701.jpg

For the webshooter, I cut up some wooden dowels into (relatively) the same length. Then I marked each one about an inch or so from each end. I put them into a clamp and drilled holes where the mark was. I sanded down the edges and spray painted them silver. Once they were all dry, I fed some elastic string through the holes I drilled to make them bracelets I could easily slip on and off. I don't have any pictures during the process, but here's the end result.

20180512_114135.jpg

Onto the belt. This took a little more imagination to make, haha. So I went to Target and found a black women's belt that I could work with. I cut off the buckles, since I would be making my own. I bought some "belt strapping" at Joanns that was thinner than the belt I was using and I guess what's called a "parachute buckle". I was going to fashion something like what you'd see on a shopping cart when people put their kids in the upper part. Hopefully the pictures help explain that better... Anyways, I used a fabric glue to attach the straps and buckle to the backside of the belt. I used some more of the wooden dowels to add to the sides of the belt. To get them to glue better, I sanded down a side so it was nice and flat. For the belt buckle part, I cut a rectangle and circle out of some crafting foam. I pushed down and drew some frame lines around the edges of the rectange to add a little indentation for a "buckle" kind of look. Then I spray painted the rectangle the same silver as the webshooters and the circle red. I glued those together and then that onto the thicker part of the parachute buckle. It's kind of a cheesy looking belt buckle, but I was proud of how it turned out, haha.

20180512_114716.jpg 20180512_114845.jpg 20180512_114647.jpg.jpg

I wanted to take the easy way out and buy pre-made ankle pouches, but I couldn't find anything in black to match the belt. Back to improvising! So I took more crafting foam and drew out a little template. I made a two longer side pieces, and then a large rectangle piece that would wrap around the edges to get that pouch shape. I rounded off one end of the rectangle piece and added a little notch in the other side. I cut out the pieces and slowly glued it together with some contact cement. I wasn't sure if the glue would hold with the foam bending so aggressively, but it's held up surprisingly well! to keep the top flap closed, I put some velcro circles on and it did the trick. For the straps, I found some leather straps at Joanns. They were about two inches wide, so I cut it half lengthwise to get to narrower strips. I measured out the width around my ankle, cut, and simply glued them onto the pouch. Then I added some velcro straps to each end. Once again, I hope the pictures help explain what I'm trying to say... Also, not sure why the pictures are coming up sideways and upside down...

20180512_120357.jpg20180512_120433.jpg20180512_120336.jpg

The shoes were nice and easy. I bought some off-brand Toms off Amazon for about $15. I used a hair dryer and a screwdriver to slowly pry off the rubber sole. Then I put the upper in the suit and glued the sole on the bottom with some E6000. Just following everyone's lead, haha. Here's an awkward angle of the feet.

20180512_120052.jpg

And finally the lenses! My original goal was to make lenses I could attach to a faceshell, but ultimately I decided against it. To begin, I scoured the internet looking for that perfect shape for the lenses. When I found the shape I liked best, I drew them out onto a sheet of paper in the size I would need for my head. I cut out my little template and traced it on more black craft foam, a sheet of clear plastic, and a sheet of perforated vinyl. I was lucky enough to know a guy who works with that stuff and he gave me a sheet of white that they had scraped, but it was still plenty for what I was going to use it for. Anyways. I cut out all the pieces and cut out a section of the foam and the mask to see out of. Then I just glued all the pieces together. I was going for that frameless look like in the comics so I tried to get all the pieces to line up as well as possible. The picture of the single one is an extra one I didn't end up using on the suit. After those were dry, I attached the lenses directly onto the mask. And since I wasn't using a face shell, I didn't have any problems with them fogging up since I was breathing right through the fabric. I was actually really happy with how these turned out!

20180512_121010.jpg20180512_121205.jpgView attachment 20180512_115642.jpg

And that's all! Unfortunately, I only have one picture of me wearing the whole suit right now, but I'll post some more in the near future! In the meantime, here's me and classic Spidey! Thanks for reading!

Comic Con 2018.jpg

Last edited:
This turned out really well! I especially love the foam ankle pitches, and thanks for the step-by-step on how you made each part of the suit - I’m sure many people (myself included!) will find it very useful. :)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back