Bay 327 need wall info

Just did a quick check against the (accurate) Bay Walls I put together. While the Book Blueprint is accurate for the body of the panels, the above and below ducts as realised in the film don't match the Book Blueprint.

Galactic Trading have a set of "generic" walls out there for action figures. While they're made from the blueprints, they only represent one permutation of the Death Star walls. Putting together the map for the Death Star Bay, I was surprised to see that there's very few panels that are actually replicated: they're put together in "mix and match" configurations. And every single control panel in Bay 327 is unique: there's no duplication.

Worth mentioning that the red door control panel ("Blast the doors, kid!") that Luke shoots doesn't exist in Bay 327: looks like an insert from the Detention Bay shootout. Frustratingly, there's no continuity for door controls around the Bay. I had to go blind peering at photo reference for the Obi-Wan/Vader door, and I'm still only about 85% correct on it. Bah!

Worth mentioning that the red door control panel ("Blast the doors, kid!") that Luke shoots doesn't exist in Bay 327: looks like an insert from the Detention Bay shootout. Frustratingly, there's no continuity for door controls around the Bay. I had to go blind peering at photo reference for the Obi-Wan/Vader door, and I'm still only about 85% correct on it. Bah!

There is a red door control panel in Bay 327. It's just not where you think it is!
SWIV_5787.jpg

Can you spot it?

Try this lightened version..

SWIV_5787a.jpg

It's probably not the one shown in close up. but it is there :)

Detention Block

SWIV_4682.jpg

SWIV_4696.jpg

Is there a possibility that it may be the exact same panel on both sets to save on construction costs?

Jim

Last edited:
I knew that was there (or, rather, I remembered from previous schematics!), but...yeah. Thanks for the memory jog. That's slightly bonkers to think that that panel in that location could control the Vader/Obi door! (Blast the door, kid...yeah, right!)

Here's a closeup of the controls alongside the Vader/Obi door. Only this hatch and the (painted!) hatch on the same wall (which you can only see in one shot) have these controls. The other hatches in the bay have a sum total of zero controls to them.

IMG_2309.JPG
Screen Shot 22.jpg

I was never able to quite figure out why it looked like the Zero G toilet instructions in "2001" looked like they were OUTSIDE the toilet. ("Hose WHAT? Connector WHERE?!")

Movies and television have a fine tradition of illogical controls which look OK for a momentary scene but make no sense in real life.

My favorite is still KITT from KnightRider- the button used five times as episode to turbo-jump over things is right nest to a button which ejects the driver through the roof.

After reading this thread I am going to have to watch Star Wars all over again to take a really good look at these scenes. I never noticed this stuff before and once it is pointed out it is hard to miss now...

While all this other info is awesome, I’ll only be building the Maw of the bay per how ILM shot the capture of the Falcon.

Question: can you just tell me what the height of the general corridor doorframe is? It’s indicated on the left hand side of the left panel, but the quality is so low of the scan there, I can’t make out the figure?

The book hasn't got much else on the docking bay - just some writeups and a few photos we've mostly already seen. The detail blueprints are not reproduced.

dockbay-detail2.jpgdockbay-detail1.jpg

Cheers, NKG!

When I'm done with my bay, I'll put up all my resources here for reference. I've put in a lot of work on this. I think my database is better than the one John Knoll used for his Star Wars Celebration CG version. (Although he did say up front that the bay wasn't a particular bay, I think he said that as it's pretty much Bay 327, he just knew the nitpickers would eviscerate him. I spotted quite early on that he got his floor panels very wrong!)

IMG_2025-4.PNG

I was just about to put up the same shots! I grabbed the same images a while back, when they went up for auction.

Are you planning to build the catwalk? I notice you have a paper modelling site.

Can I ask where you got that image from? It's not one I've seen before, although there are several from roughly the same angle

Not sure about building it - will see after I finish some other projects.
About the image - I would like to answer, but to be honest I really don't know. Past couple of days were pretty "intensive" in terms of googling for "imperial service platform" and all variants of these keywords (also "death star docking bay" / "death star hangar" etc.). Unfortunately, I am not a native english speaker so I did not know the word "gantry",so this image never occured in my search results.
But based on my browser history and download history, this image was hosted on twitter, which is pretty strange as I do not remember that have visited twitter in these past few days.

The same catwalk gantry was reused on the Yavin IV hangar, hanging from the ceiling upside down. I suspect the Death Star version was built around landing gear that was built for the Blockade Runner version of the Falcon, but discarded when the design changed.

Star Wars was pretty thrifty. The Yavin set also featured the "Ubrikkian" landspeeder from the Tunisia set, hanging upside-down from the rafters as well.

And of course the grey wedge things with red lights on the floor were reused for the Hoth set in Empire, only with blue lights. And then recycled again as wall decorations for Vader's hologram room for chatting with the Emperor.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back