Friars manuscript - Finished

MAKE BELIEVE

Master Member
Friars Manuscripts from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Hard part on this prop are the clasps. Either you can't find some or if you do, the prices are too high.
So this will be my cheap way to make the manuscript because I'll try to make the clasps myself (but not in iron or metal)
I've gathered blank pages and had it professionally bound (I'll get pics over the weekend)
Before that got two parchement sheets, aged it with coffee and printed both images

First pics:

PIC1.jpg PIC2.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Friars manuscript - WIP

Looking good. What paper did you use for the manuscript? Is it real parchment? And if so, how well did it take the coffee staining and print?

Re: Friars manuscript - WIP

Thank you for your comments, gentlemen
As to your question, Krats, yes, it's real parchment and the use of coffee turned it slightly yellow (but nothing compared to what it does in regular or heavy weight paper). The bad news is that it wrinkles a lot (had to put it under several books). Printed at home withou any problems but because it is translucid and thin, the result is not so good - taking another look at the movie scene, I noticed that when Harrison Ford turns the page it looks more like a heavy weight page...

Started aging the sheets and the leather (next will work on the corners)

PIC1.jpg PIC2.jpg PIC3.jpg

Very nice indeed.

I would put two see-thru plastic hoops around the outer edge of the pages so that the pages don't sag on the outer edges - it something museums do to prevent this.

Also, if you used ink for the printing that is not UV resistant then you will experience fading - even under bulbs.

Great job!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back