Thor's Stormbreaker Foam Speed Build - SKS Props Updated 5/16/18

SKS Props

Sr Member
Hey everyone it has been a while since I posted on here so I figured I would jump back in and do a quick build on Thor's new weapon Stormbreaker. So like all of my builds I try and find some reference images...damn near impossible on this weapon!!! The best I could find were leaked hot toys pic and a kids toy on amazon. So even though I am building this off of those toys there will probably be some artistic license since I can not see all of the details.

s0QdcVTh.jpg

So to start off I templated the axe head on some Bristol board and transferred that to some 2" foam from TNT Cosplay Supply. This was cut out on the band saw and shaped on the belt sander.

2ffcj3Ah.jpg

As for the head of the hammer, my wife had some yoga blocks she wasn't using anymore that were a pretty good size so I beveled them on the belt sander and glued them together with some Barge cement.

Lib2e6jh.jpg

I then added some more of the TNT 2" foam to the top of the hammer head and sanded down the sides to match the concept art.

LWtEVG5h.jpg

yn2RtlYh.jpg

I then detailed out the hammer by wrapping bands of 4mm foam around the head and down the sides.

mZnAQGTh.jpg

7gkO3I1h.jpg

After that dried I moved on to the axe head and drew out the detail on bristol board and cut those out of 2 and 4mm foam. By no means 100% but not bad for a couple hours worth of work for a cosplay weapon I still have a bunch of details to add to the axe and hammer heads. I hope to finish it up this weekend and have additional progress pic and a video up next week

f1BPvqJh.jpg

1N8vrvah.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Thor's Stormbreaker Foam Speed Build - SKS Props Updated 5/14/18

Further progress on my Stormbreaker speed build just adding some details to help flush out the axe and hammer heads before I work on the handle. Again this is by no means a perfect representation but should be great for my friends to use as a cosplay prop for photos in a couple of weeks.

TvVTb5ch.jpg

YgoOJRch.jpg

r2KsllRh.jpg

Stormbreaker Update - Started wrapping foam around the axe / hammer and blending it with the handle. Building up and sanding the bark texture layer by layer, here is a shot of the smaller vines attached but still need sanding.

GaQbIYYh.jpg

Have you seen Odin Makes Youtube video in that he made his version? I really liked the way he did the groot part.

And also great progress so far!

Thor's Stormbreaker Axe / Hammer Photo Dump - Important tip of the day, never be afraid to fail, learn from it, and correct you mistakes. Yesterday afternoon I took the entire weapon apart because I was just not happy with the scale and some of the details, so I spent about 2 hours cutting, reshaping, and detailing. But I will say Stormbreaker is now where I want it and I am excited to get some paint on it this afternoon

ZIxPe6Lh.jpg

zETsqC0h.jpg

vUXP32gh.jpg

DL1HNiPh.jpg

Y703W88h.jpg

qByJsRQh.jpg

ivNKRR6h.jpg

akeJRedh.jpg

6UCMvM4h.jpg

o4V91Lbh.jpg

f6AfbMLh.jpg

Thor's Stormbreaker - Finally getting some paint on this beast. I primed it with some Valspar brown and Rustoleum Antique Flat Nickle. Hand painting was done by first doing a wash over the entire piece with Liquitex heavy body Mars Black. Metalic highlights were painted on using Liquitex Rich Silver, and the bark was a mix of Liquitex Burnt Sienna and Raw Sienna

Qpu7q8eh.jpg

6x5vdBah.jpg

tAdNw7gh.jpg

VjDCgbKh.jpg

jJ40UDZh.jpg

lIGx6rqh.jpg

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back