Firefly "Vera" Build - New Pics!

Re: Firefly "Vera" Build - WIP

Some creative solutions there. Things are moving right along.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks! Just wish I'd found those extra large set screws BEFORE I cut up $6 in allen bolts! :lol

Tell me more about this vinyl, it looks amazing but I've got to know how it holds on. Adhesive, or what? And how sturdy is it for prop handling?

This Vera build's flat out amazing, and I'm SUPER impressed with all the detail work you put into it. Keep on keepin' on!

Sorry, forgot to reply to this... the vinyl is just from the local home hardware store and was pretty cheap ($10 or so). It's adhesive and peels off a backing paper. You get a decent amount to work with, although the pattern does repeat every couple of feet or so. Not an issue for something this small of course. It's pretty tough stuff and has to be heated up to contour to curves. I spent a while with the hairdryer heating it as I went. Obviously I'm dealing with a few curves, so keeping it hot was important. For a flat surface, you wouldn't need heat. It's not perfect stuff to work with. I've used other types of vinyl that mold a lot easier than this stuff, but it still worked well enough.

I'd say it's pretty durable stuff and good for handling. I also tried clear-coating some of it, just to see how it would look glossy and the clear-coat took really well. I opted to keep Vera's grips as they are (no clear-coat) as I prefer the look.

Glad you're enjoying the build.

Sorry, forgot to reply to this... the vinyl is just from the local home hardware store and was pretty cheap ($10 or so). It's adhesive and peels off a backing paper. You get a decent amount to work with, although the pattern does repeat every couple of feet or so. Not an issue for something this small of course. It's pretty tough stuff and has to be heated up to contour to curves. I spent a while with the hairdryer heating it as I went. Obviously I'm dealing with a few curves, so keeping it hot was important. For a flat surface, you wouldn't need heat. It's not perfect stuff to work with. I've used other types of vinyl that mold a lot easier than this stuff, but it still worked well enough.

I'd say it's pretty durable stuff and good for handling. I also tried clear-coating some of it, just to see how it would look glossy and the clear-coat took really well. I opted to keep Vera's grips as they are (no clear-coat) as I prefer the look.

Glad you're enjoying the build.
If you don't mind me asking, what hardware store was it? I am in Canada too, so if it's a chain I can hopefully pick some up.

So Vera's ammo are made from 12 gage Magtech brass rounds...

mK5Zy6V.jpg

I tried a few places and couldn't find them. One gun shop said they had used brass rounds (a bag of 100 for $10!), but when I picked them up, only the bottoms of them were brass, not the entire shell. I did find a Canadian supplier, but by the time I added shipping, they were going to cost a bomb. So I opted to make my own out of aluminium tubing and washers...

0kRyEuV.jpg

To flatten the ends of the pipe (hard to do by hand) I used a large washer to get an even surface...

jI5ZWGN.jpg

They turned out pretty good after a sand...

Q546hUP.jpg

The darker plastic tubing would be used to widen the gluing surface.

m6Hl9ZD.jpg

aWMxfpB.jpg

iIlmmUC.jpg

6 shells needed as the 4 rounds in the mag are just tubes...

fa3cuFf.jpg

Ready for paint...

MyhSf32.jpg

xPk5Zes.jpg

QRu9sec.jpg

jiBeM2t.jpg

I'd considered grinding back the washer to lessen the bottom protruding edge, but you don't really see them and the size they are is actually perfect for slotting into the track on the bullet holder. So they will stay like this.

This was actually all done last week. The weekend was spent helping my father-in-law re-roof his workshop, which was perfect for leaving all the parts of Vera dry properly. I'd already had to re-paint a couple a parts that got played with too soon. Lol.

Next up... assembly! :thumbsup

If you don't mind me asking, what hardware store was it? I am in Canada too, so if it's a chain I can hopefully pick some up.

Yeah mate, found it at Kent. Pretty sure they are all over Canada.

That's a really clean build of an epic prop you are doing here !
Thank you for this thread !

Ok, so the last day and a half have been assembling Vera. She was tricky to put together as tolerances are very small and there are many variables for an accurate fit. Not to mention this kit is specifically designed for an airsoft Saiga, not the Denix AK. Plus, I didn't want to just glue all the pieces on, as it would make her far too fragile. So I added screws where I could, to give her strength.

Started with the receiver...

tsMh9Ek.jpg

c6VXdTS.jpg

Then added some of the fore-grip pieces as well as assembling some are the barrel parts...

YGRXRrY.jpg

While assembling the grip and trigger I could see the trigger would get scratched easily, so I used a cloth band aid to line the walls of the trigger well...

AqK7EZW.jpg

WJ5mGia.jpg

5ZU1e7M.jpg

YxX61a8.jpg

Added some set screws...

vl3vlve.jpg

DSMM4h9.jpg

The next part was by far the trickiest, the "stock mounts", which are the large silver parts that go either side of the rear of the receiver. These have to line up with the top of the grips, but also they have to sit level to allow the top rail to secure to a flat surface. As it holds the stock it needs to be strong, so the large screws you see are actually screwed right through into the receiver...

lNKcZbd.jpg

An upside to this was that at least one of the large screws (on each side) also went through the grip mounting point, which would of course give the grip added strength.

The same applied for the mag-well, I added 2 screws (out of sight) for strength...

hwsysY4.jpg

cAWjFFp.jpg

5vJO365.jpg

Onto the mag. The dummy rounds are glued into place. I used a piece of folded cardboard to hold them up in the mag where I wanted them.

rfr1Ott.jpg

szEuFMt.jpg

Attaching the mag to the mag-well was going to be another weak point. So as well as gluing it, I used a hole each side of the mag-well to add a screw that would hold the mag in place. Not canon, but functional.

KgWE2hx.jpg

Another tricky part was the stock. In the end to get it to fit right, I warmed up the arms of the stock with a hairdryer, which worked a treat.

YEUu0M9.jpg

RofSUj1.jpg

And then after a few more hours...

dvVi39Q.jpg

RGHeDih.jpg

nV7xsm9.jpg

mNvPf5d.jpg

qMGeoRI.jpg

n6BFPoc.jpg

2w6SctY.jpg

DbK63lJ.jpg

dvVi39Q.jpg

She sure ain't a perfect Vera. I could list all the imperfections and in-accuracies. But as a classic car owner I've learned that while I may know where every scratch and imperfection is, most people just see a flippin nice car! Same applies here. She ain't perfect, there's a bunch of inaccuracies (mainly screws), but she's a Vera! And she's MY Vera. And I L-O-V-E her! In fact, she may well be "my most favourite gun". :lol

She isn't finished. Yet to add the AK side mount, the scope and laser sight. And then there's the weathering! :unsure

Last edited:

looking amazing!
looking forward to see the weathering, it added so much to your D9 rifle last time :thumbsup

- - - Updated - - -

looking amazing!
looking forward to see the weathering, it added so much to your D9 rifle last time :thumbsup

Is she now your “very favorite gun”? Hahha

outstanding work as always, mate. I could stare at those pics all day :thumbsup

FANTASTIC WORK! That thing looks like metal all day long. Your precision and skills really show through with this build. All your builds are great, but Vera is a special lady.

FANTASTIC WORK! That thing looks like metal all day long. Your precision and skills really show through with this build. All your builds are great, but Vera is a special lady.

Aww thanks mate, I'm blushing. :$

Yeah, this is definitely a grail item in my collection. I doubt there are many people out there with a Vera replica. Of course the upcoming resin run will change that, but I'll enjoy her all the same! Plus mine has a metal, functional receiver which makes it pretty special in itself. :thumbsup

I really enjoyed this build, especially as there were so many pieces to the kit. Was challenging but very rewarding.

While you can easily get a fake AN PVS-18 night scope off ebay (got one on the way), the dual laser pointer is apparently a mission to find. I guess Star Airsoft made a functioning replica years ago, which are very hard to find now.

So you can imagine my surprise when this popped up in the Junkyard a few days ago...

FcRDz6c.jpg

8gaBFhN.jpg

Super stoked to have picked this up. With this, the side rail, the replica PVS-18 and a correct rubber eye cup on the way, all I need is the correct rail mount (for the PVS) and she's complete. :thumbsup

That vinyl wrap for the wood looks amazing, i wouldn't even bother making wood parts for it.

Finally finished this beautiful girl!

Made a stand for her...

zBbU8Wl.jpg

7rIloKU.jpg

s4bpkEQ.jpg

D52OGpM.jpg

She'll eventually end up on the wall, but this will work for now.

Lightly weathered, scopes added and she's done...

RYO5v7m.jpg

O7092SE.jpg

NZzqZjs.jpg

Big thanks to @JOATRASH FX for the night-scope ring! And all the help and advice. Not to mention the kit itself! Lol, basically a Legend all round. :thumbsup

So cool! What a beast that piece is. Masterful work, as usual.

The stand is just as impressive. Both fit very well with each other. Jayne would be proud :thumbsup

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back