Indy bag and strap

propmainiac

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi all...
Having an Indy itch I need to scratch after buying my Gold fertility idol. I just scored a genuine British gas mask bag mark seven to add to my shelf display. Can anyone recommend a maker or source for the leather strap? I was looking at the one on Todd's costumes and it seems like the best deal at 20 dollars. Thanks

I'd say Todd's is a good source for other Indy things, but not the bag strap, unless they updated them since I last saw one. If they're still making them the way they did years ago though, they feature a backside that feels like raw, fuzzy leather, unlike the smooth front side. Because of this, the backside will soak easily, leave stains on your clothes, and is overall weaker and more susceptible to damage. It can even arrive with cracks already on it.

I got my strap from a guy that no longer makes them, but I think someone asked this same question here recently and people knew of a good alternative.

All very good suggestions. I'm gonna check my local thrift shop as well. I'm not using it for a costume just part of a display. Looks like I have several options,...thanks

I ordered a bag and strap from Todds and WPG to replace my original bag that was starting to fall apart. The strap from Todds has a fuzzy back and stained every shirt I wore it with. I like the look and buckle though the bags buttons ripped out and a water bottle tore out the stitching. The one from WPG has held up great I've used it as a hunting field bag for 3 years even fell overboard in the ocean with it. This past year I used it to help drag a Christmas tree. I've thought about getting a litigo leather strap and will when this one breaks eventually.

Ok all received my mark seven Indy gas mask bag yesterday and I really like it! It's in really good shape a little dirt and a couple of small stains but hey, it's all ready weatherd! Made of heavy canvas and stitching is in good shape. Gonna go great with the Gold Idol I recently bought. Best part is I got it for way less than the replicas that are out there. Here's pics. IMG_20180513_210158.jpgIMG_20180513_210255.jpgIMG_20180513_210229.jpgIMG_20180513_210205.jpgIMG_20180513_210318.jpgIMG_20180513_210217.jpg

I think a WWII German MP40 submachine gun leather sling was used in the films. They are available from ebay and surplus stores.

I ended up making my own strap. 1” blank strip of leather and some brown dye. Todd sells the buckles for $3. The real straps were likely custom made by production. Rifle slings are too short. Those ones from Make It Jones look really nice though.

0426FEE1-10F2-4A39-BE40-2FAD129EF334.jpeg

Hi - David from Make it Jones here.

As well as straps I also sell separate buckles and fittings for the three different style straps across the four movies - handy if you're ever looking to swap out buckles from another strap.

Here's my Raiders slide buckle on a 1" hand dyed tooling leather strap:
MK2%20Raiders%20web.jpg
MK2 Raiders web.jpg

The straps used for the bags in the films were all actually leather suitcase straps from various vintage suitcases. They can be found at any yard sale, flea market or thrift store.

I'd say Todd's is a good source for other Indy things, but not the bag strap, unless they updated them since I last saw one. If they're still making them the way they did years ago though, they feature a backside that feels like raw, fuzzy leather, unlike the smooth front side. Because of this, the backside will soak easily, leave stains on your clothes,
I had to wash my shirt over 3 times to remove most of the stains left by my WhatPriceGlory strap.

Weird, I've never had any problems with my WPG strap.
Is your the light or dark color.

I use the light one and gave the dark one to my niece.

Weird, I've never had any problems with my WPG strap.
Is your the light or dark color.

I use the light one and gave the dark one to my niece.
The Dark one, as it seemed to be the only one they had, when I bought it, along with the gas mask, over a month ago. I was concerned about re-washing my shirt. The stains were very hard to remove.

Perhaps coating the strap with a sealer will help.

I've had mine for quite a while, the dark one was also a few years old before I gave it to my niece.
Not sure if she's had any problems with it since I haven't heard from her in about 4 years.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back