BamBam's Han Solo in Carbonite Build

Dabambam

Well I have been doing a lot of reading over the past few months and I'm just about ready to start my life size HIC build. I'm doing this for my 50th birthday present to myself. I haven't bought anything yet so I need suggestions on where to get the best Han Solo mold as well as the side control panels and Greeblies/Electronics. I did speak with KingJawa and think I might get his mold. So if anyone has some suggestions on where to get the parts or how to proceed on the build, I would greatly appreciate your input.

Well my kit arrived today. It's a complete kit with the Solo casting, 8 panels, greeblies and electronics already built. The only things I would need to get are the decals and transparencies for the hero panels. Overall I like the kit except the primer on the Solo cast needs to be redone as I can scrape it off with my fingernail. The scale appears to be true 1:1 as the hands are bigger than mine and the body size seems correct. The whole kit cost me $800 shipped to my door. I'm debating if I should just get the Zenix box kit or build my own.

The Solo cast is very sturdy as he used fiberglass mesh and resin. I see some people fill the back side with spray foam. Any suggestions what type of foam I should use or is Great Stuff just fine?

Kit 001.JPGKit 002.JPGKit 003.JPGKit 004.JPGKit 005.JPGKit 006.JPGKit 007.JPGKit 008.JPGKit 009.JPGKit 010.JPG

Kit 001.JPG

Kit 002.JPG

Kit 003.JPG

Kit 004.JPG

Kit 005.JPG

Kit 006.JPG

Kit 007.JPG

Kit 008.JPG

Kit 009.JPG

Kit 010.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I made my own box out of wood, it´s not very difficult if you are good at it. I believe you got plans at The Dented helmet.

Well after looking closer at the castings I'm not happy. The pinky on the left hand is deformed and I went through the inventory and there's a few small pieces missing. To be continued...

Last edited:
Well after going back and forth with the seller of my first kit, It is getting returned. Live and learn. So now I'm back to square one on this project with getting all new parts.

I decided to go with Zenix's 1/3 scale kit instead of a 1:1 scale HIC for now. I'll keep my eye out for parts for the 1:1 scale version in the mean time. I figure the 1/3 will be good practice for when I do a full size kit.

Well after looking closer at the castings I'm not happy. The pinky on the left hand is deformed and I went through the inventory and there's a few small pieces missing. To be continued...

That pinky does look a bit funky haha. That's too bad you're back to square one on your full size! Zenix does good work though, I'm sure you'll be happy with his 1/3 kit. I'd love to have one myself.

You guys are cool.

I never ended up making nice molds for the panels and was just selling crappy 3d printed ones. I'm probably going to redo them for this batch and relaunch the 1:3 kit. It's very cool and I know most folks can't afford a 1:1, or dedicate the time, or space, or are just too intimidated. I really want to get this out there and I think redoing the panels properly will make sense.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I wish people would trust me and the reviews more on this. It's so much nicer and easier than doing it yourself.

For sure!! Your kit is awesome, easy to put together and looks fantastic! And the cost is really great.

So Zenix said he will have my 1/3 kit done in a couple weeks. In the mean time I'm going to wrap up a project I've been working on for almost 2 years. I've been restoring Dr. Zaius chair from the 1974 Planet of the Apes TV series. It was a mess when I got it covered in dirt and in pieces with pieces missing. I had to get it back together and re-sculpt the missing sections. It has a foam core covered in fiberglass. I know it's not Star Wars, but this project really help me fine tune my skills. Here's a few pics for your enjoyment and I will make sure to post my progress on the HIC 1/3 kit when I receive it.

Zaius Chair 002.JPGZaius Chair 007.JPGZaius Chair 001.JPGZaius Chair 001.JPG

So my HIC 1/3 Scale kit arrived today. It's great quality and with excellent detail. It took a bit longer to arrived than expected, but it was worth the wait.

Han 1.JPGHan 2.JPG

Ok, so I thought I would post a quick update. I have the 1/3 scale box all assembled. Took about 3 hours total. I pretty much built it with the same style supports you see in the 1:1 scale boxes and a sturdy board to hang it on the wall at the top. I will attached the top and bottom back pieces after the box has been painted. I will just paint them black and glue them in place. Now off to cleaning up the cast pieces. Any suggestions on what type of solution to wash the cast pieces once they're ready for primer?

IMG_2203.JPGIMG_2204.JPGIMG_2205.JPG

I wish people would trust me and the reviews more on this. It's so much nicer and easier than doing it yourself.

Everytime I visit seattle I also visit your kit that I purchased. It's all sitting at my friends house, taunting me.

Mostly cuz I HAD 2300 square feet of house with 1000 of it being movie basement bar... but now I'm in a 500 sq ft Apartment.

Can't get myself to do the 1/3 version... guess I'm gonna have to get moving on opening a studio.

Here's a few more updates. I used PC-7 epoxy to set the solo cast and feet into the box. I just did a light coat on the entire back and held it in place with one screw due to some warping in the mold and put some weights on it.

I also did a test to use the PC-7 epoxy as the carbonite, since I have a bunch left over from the POTA Zaius chair noted in this thread. I see most people use either bondo or wood glue. I hate working with bondo due to the fast set time and wood glue I don't feel will hold up in the long term as it can crack. The great thing about this product is you can work it for hours, it dries in less than a day and you can go back with more and it sticks to the dry epoxy with no issues. It sands easy and is as strong as fiberglass. I actually spoke with a chemist from the company that makes it and he says it's strong stuff that holds up over time. I found if you wear a latex glove and dip your finger in water it's like working with clay. You can get an 8lb (Total one gallon) on Amazon for under $65. I posted some pics of a quick test I did on a board. The second pic I just did a quick coat of chrome paint to see how it would look.

IMG_2206.JPGIMG_2207.JPGIMG_2208.JPGIMG_2209.JPG

Thought I would post an update. Here's some pics of the carbonite using the PC-7 Epoxy and pics of it primed. It only took me about an hour to complete the carbonite and then went back a couple of days later and did some light sanding and added some more epoxy in a few spots. Now just to decide paint colors. Any suggestions?
IMG_2210.JPGIMG_2211.JPGIMG_2213.JPGIMG_2226.JPGIMG_2227.JPGIMG_2228.JPGIMG_2229.JPG

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back