1/24 A-wing

Carnet

Finally getting a chance to start up my Ed Holt A-wing kit. Overall, a pretty nice little kit. The proportions are a tad off, but it's not too bad...I haven't decided if I feel like chopping it or not. It's one of those things that I know I will see every time I look at it...but probably no one else will.

IMG_1477.jpgIMG_1478.jpgIMG_1480.jpgIMG_1481.jpgIMG_1482.jpgIMG_1499.jpg

And quite possibly the ugliest pilot in the Galaxy.
IMG_1497.jpg

My pencil shows where it needs to be trimmed. Of course this effects everything else on the back end. There is another user on here, darth_daniel, that has already gone down this road.
IMG_1483.jpgIMG_1484.jpg

Last edited:
My goodness that pilot... whoever sculpted that must have been drunk!!!

Now now...I think he was done like this on purpose...I am pretty sure the filming model has an equally ugly pilot.

Update: Ed Holt, is sending me a new updated pilot sculpt...just because he is awesome!

I say chop it. It is your feeling about the final model that matters, I know from experience.

I did, it's going pretty well. I already have the wings redone. I was going to wait until I had something to show before I posted more pictures.

Last edited:
Shortening is fuselage is the way to go. Of course you will have to shorten the front ends of the engines, scratch new stabilizers/wings, oh and the guns are way oversized... Mine didn´t get past the rescribing stage because BTW, most panel lines are off. :p I just recently found out the best way for filling and rescribing: filling with superglue and scribing with photoetch saws. Before that I filled with Aves and scribed with a scalpel, but each time the scalpel crossed an already filled line it tore a large bit of putty out. That won´t happen with superglue and the saws. Now I have a realistic chance to finish mine - if I ever find the time. :$
I´m really looking forward to seeing what you will do with yours. :)

Shortening is fuselage is the way to go. Of course you will have to shorten the front ends of the engines, scratch new stabilizers/wings, oh and the guns are way oversized... Mine didn´t get past the rescribing stage because BTW, most panel lines are off. :p I just recently found out the best way for filling and rescribing: filling with superglue and scribing with photoetch saws. Before that I filled with Aves and scribed with a scalpel, but each time the scalpel crossed an already filled line it tore a large bit of putty out. That won´t happen with superglue and the saws. Now I have a realistic chance to finish mine - if I ever find the time. :$
I´m really looking forward to seeing what you will do with yours. :)

Yeah, I am not going to touch the panel lines, that is not a detail that bothers me. They look just fine to me.

I am done with all of the proportioning mods. I've shortened the engine cans, and rebuilt the wings....the guns, yeah they are huge. I haven't decided if I am going to redo them. I probably should, heck I've gone this far.

Currently working on my lighting.

Interested in seeing progress on your modifications. I have no idea long this process takes because I haven't built a physical model yet, so not being pushy, just interested.

Interested in seeing progress on your modifications. I have no idea long this process takes because I haven't built a physical model yet, so not being pushy, just interested.

No problem. I'll be happy to share some process shots of what I am doing with it.

So, this kit is the only 1/24 scale A-wing that I know about, and it is a great little kit that can be built as is. However, the overall proportions of the ship are a bit rectangular, whereas the actual model is a bit closer to square. Basically, the ship is a bit too long behind the cockpit, and the nose is a bit too short. After making comparisons to the filming model, it seems that the issue is that the length that was designed into the rear of the ship, should have been put on the front at the nose tips. The nose tips seem to be too short by about the same amount as the tail is too long...but that's just like, my opinion, man.

So, the rear end of the main fuselage has to be chopped
IMG_1491.jpg

When you chop the rear end of the fuselage, it affects everything else on the back of ship, the vertical stabilizers are not the right shape, so they have to be cut off and rebuilt.
IMG_1494 (1).jpg
Here is the line where I cut the engine cans
IMG_1496.jpg

And the rebuilt vertical stabilizers. I used a side shot of the Studio model and a simple proportioning equation to get them right (thanks math!)
IMG_1502.jpg

And then the side walls of the cockpit were too tall and I had to cut the "step" off of them to get it to fit.
IMG_1499 (1).jpg

And here are just a few pics of where it's at right now. The cockpit is painted and fit, and I have my lighting circuit worked out.

IMG_1542.jpgIMG_1543.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for updating. Like you said, it was a pretty good model to begin with, but i like the move towards accuracy. At one point I thought about picking up one of these up, but I would never attempt what your doing. In my spare time, I've been working on a 3d model to print, You're right about there not being another 1/24 a-wing out there, I feel like I've been looking for years. I don't have the skills to pull off this kind of modification so I'll stick to the printing attempt. It's looking great, and I'm enjoying watching this process. can't wait to see the new pilot.

Vast improvement. How's the fit?

From the knees up, great...but I am probably going to have to cut his legs off below the knees to sit him down. His knees are a bit too close to 90 degrees. Maybe I can do some surgery and reattach them with a bit less of an angle, or I could just leave them off. You wont see that part of his body anyway.

These were a pain in the rear to clean up. As you can see, I gave up on trying to make the square ports around the circumference sqaure and just settled for round. Still have quite a bit of clean up to do on them.

IMG_1593.jpg

Last edited:
the left one looks like a veteran with the "stare" and the slight thumps up,..while the right one looks like a rookie who just experienced things that will traumatise him for the rest of his live,..i am not shure though if this is after a battle flight or just after something that cassually took place in the dressing room:lol

the left one looks like a veteran with the "stare" and the slight thumps up,..while the right one looks like a rookie who just experienced things that will traumatise him for the rest of his live,..i am not shure though if this is after a battle flight or just after something that cassually took place in the dressing room:lol

That's a very nice way to put it, gives both of them some respect and honor...

I was going more for...the guy on the right wants nothing to do with the guy on the left because he is so damn ugly. LOL.

(also, right guy is not finished yet)

Now that I have the cockpit and pilot finished I can get the fuselage halves sealed up and start making this thing look like an a-wing!

Left pilot, "...my arm, really?..."
Right pilot, "what? It's not like you are going to need it..."
IMG_1602.jpg

IMG_1603.jpgIMG_1606.jpgIMG_1611.jpgIMG_1609.jpgIMG_1608.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back