Just a heads-up -- KB Props has imploded

Inquisitor Peregrinus

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The drama played out impressively rapidly just yesterday. Not gonna point fingers. Both parties were justified in where they were coming from, but the disagreement wasn't handled that great, and, well... Kev announced last night on his FB page that KB Props is shutting down. Anyone who still has orders outstanding, you're out of luck. If you're within the window of PP dispute, that may or may not yield results, as money was the underlying factor of why KB moved shops earlier this year, and the meltdown now.

I really, really hope against hope that they find a way through this and reopen, but I doubt it. I hate seeing fan makers go under, especially in a manner like this. :(

--Jonah

this was posted a couple hours ago:

"Due to overwhelming support from several other makers in our community, KB Props will be restructured.
Any outstanding orders will be handled regardless of what Hal does with the 13 sets he is sitting on.
If you prefer to go through paypal for refunds you will recieve it from them, those that can not get refund from paypal I will work with personally to remedy all situations. This will take a little time but no one will be left out.
For those that still want their kits, I will work with you to get these finished"

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap! That's good news I hadn't seen anything the last time I looked. That must have been right after my sweep. I only wish the best for Kev...

Haven't been around in a while, but my wife has an outstanding order with KB Props. She's been waiting since Black Friday 2017. She's communicated with Kev a bit today, and while he says "Due to overwhelming support", that doesn't really say much. She asked if he was partnering with other makers and he said no. So, his "restructuring" means he's moving back to his garage. At this point, I'm not sure my wife will ever see her armor or her $700. And seeing as how he asked most buyers (including my wife) to use PP "Friends and Family", there is NO recourse via PayPal to get your funds back.

Sorta what I mean by "wishing him the best"... I don't think anyone comported themselves ideally in this mess, but I feel a bit more is on Kev for letting himself get so far behind the eight-ball when it could have been avoided by stopping taking orders when he ran out of materials or his body got too uncooperative. I get by then that was his only income, but you don't plow ahead and hope for a miracle.

When I say I wish him the best, it's more that I hope he'll swallow his pride, realistically acknowledge where he screwed up, and actually work with someone to get back on the horse. I've seen other vendors come back from some pretty deep holes. The main thing is that he needs to drop the line that he was bad-done-by and he's the victim of circumstances beyond his control. I know something about that sort of mindset. There are people and agencies around who'll help, but none of that will do any good as long as he sits in a funk of "the world's against me".

Meanwhile, I've written off the money I sent him back in November, and have put my plans to order more from him on indefinite hold, pending how things go. I've now plunked down more to just go ahead and make what I ordered from him myself...

First Order Stormtrooper, Captain Phasma, Shoretrooper, AT-ACT Driver, Assault Tank Driver (those last three all being nearly identical -- minor differences with the helmets), Death Trooper, I was just recently seeing mastering of the Mud Trooper and Range Trooper from Solo, and I know I'm forgetting a bunch. Great attention to detail, and mostly pulled in plastic, for those who don't like or are allergic to fiberglass. Especially where it comes to the First Order Stormtrooper, he was one of the only ones currently producing, and one of only two producing it mostly in plastic. That I know of, anyway.

Why do people take on all this work? If I were to do this hobby, it’s 1 customer at a time

Once that customers product is finished and shipped, then I would move on to the next one

No way in hell could I have someone’s money, and make them wait months, if not over a year until their product was finished and handed back to them

It doesn’t take rocket science to figure this out...

Don’t understand why people keep doing this to them self’s and the community... gives us prop guys a bad rep...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you’re making it usually takes about the same effort to do one piece, or to do 2 or 3. I think they get the impression doing 5 or 10 is still doable, when it’s really not. After the 3rd piece labor gets intense and you begin to wear out. It’s just bad planning, very poor communication, and unreal expectations from both parts.

Why do people take on all this work? If I were to do this hobby, it’s 1 customer at a time
Once that customers product is finished and shipped, then I would move on to the next one
No way in hell could I have someone’s money, and make them wait months, if not over a year until their product was finished and handed back to them
Don’t understand why people keep doing this to them self’s and the community... gives us prop guys a bad rep...

What about project runs though? I'm just playing devil's advocate (no ties to this conversation)

A word to work on your plate... I’ve done runs of 5 and runs of 60+. There is no difference.
You need discipline. You have to know your limits and not misappropriate funds. I would venture to say whether KB had 5 orders or 500, he would’ve “imploded” all the same given time.

I am sorry for those that paid as gift, it will surely be a very expensive lesson.

Money, that's why. There's been more than a few makers that see the prop community as just a cash register.

Does it seem like this sort of thing is almost the norm when it comes to various unofficial prop dealers? I tend to see quite a few complaints about prop dealing sites taking money and then leaving customers in the dark for months to years before any merchandise is sent, if at all. Almost every new site that I hear about I can very quickly find complaints from others that some item took 15-20 months for delivery. It really is turning into an every time kind of thing.

Since the debacle about a year ago, I need to clear a couple things up. I never asked for payment by friends and family, that was Hal, he pocketed all the May 2018 sales which started this. I always asked for goods/services as that is the contract, and safety measure for the buyer. With that being said KB Props is back in full production, all backordered kits have been pulled, the majority of them shipped, just a handful left to ship (2-3) which will be done by the end of this month. I've done everything in my power to make things right and will continue that way.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back