My Tie fighter build 2018

I've seen that ye very cool must have been a few of them making that eh.
My fav starwars ship of all I'm gona have a go at the life size cockpit down the line like.
That wasn't you that made that was it?

Last edited:
DSC_8859.JPG
So I decided to ditch the black compost container thing I put pic up of previously window would have been to big and proportion wrong. I got this whiskey barrel I know it not like an octagon or that like the tie fighter Ud know but it is round at the front and bk and has a rounded shape to it plus with added details it looks very cool I promise ☺

DSC_8864.JPG
Measures circumference of barrel found spot half way down also lined it up ready to cut holes which by the way is not easy barrels r thick as hell

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 821364
So after much refilling and sanding jigsawing etc ☺ I finally got the middle beam to fit ☺

Last edited:
DSC_8867.JPG

Not sure if last pic has appeared I cana see it like other ones so putting it on again to be sure.

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_8868.JPG
I sat the barrel onto my picnic table to get it close as I could to right height it would b to line up against one of the wings and to see how it looked I was quite

I would have to make a little stand to take a lot of the weight of the barrel in the centre. plus I'd need it to be all in position even if not attached so I could measure detailing shortly for the middle beam and the cockpit for approx poportions etc.

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_8869.JPG
Another angle I like this one better cause u can see where I'm going with this but the detail I've done by hand especially on the outside of the wings is nice to look at

- - - Updated - - -

OK time to get the other wing sat at the other side to see this bad boys first ever full standing ☺

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_8872.JPG

And viola we have the skeleton of a tie fighter ☺

DSC_8893.JPG
There we go both wings done kind of gives it a far better look I will b putting a lot more focus onto the small stand for the weight of the cockpit plus the actual cockpit itself now

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_8898.JPG
And a behind view its very nice form there too

DSC_8914.JPG
Just before I do jump to the cockpit etc I think I have to show another couple pics of the wings transition form bare to lovely slate blue and black and the actual level of individual bits there was and how it went gradually bk on once painted

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_8915.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_8916.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

DSC_8917.JPG
The pics go with the daylight getting less and less they r in the order that side of the wing was done as i began to run out of light slowly lol. I just made it ☺

DSC_8900.JPG
That was the wings side by side done showing the outside of the wing furthest away and the inside of the wing nearest.
I might go bk and top up the black paint with another coat eventually but for now they are done and do uz think they look alright?

DSC_8907.JPG
With the tie fighter coming along well I set about the other iconic thing about the look of a tie fighter besides the wings which is the window. First drew up a plan for the small centre part of the window as I'd b using the edge of the top of the barrel for the outer frame of the window ☺

DSC_8911.JPG
U can c the cut centre piece of window there and the round rim of barrel at top which will be the outer window frame ☺

DSC_8924.JPG
I made little wooden pieces that ran from the edges to the centre piece but another problem arose the barrel is solid as I'm sure I've mentioned anyone who's dealt with a barrel knows how solid they r. I couldn't get inside it really to screw pieces of wood to the top from underneath. so I could only do it from the top which is a problem as if I wanted the wood a decent height to make the shape of the window. I'd need very long screws not to mention if they r long they r thicker and my ply wood isnt so it would split it. I had a plan screw little bits of wood on top of the barrel side ways then using wooden dowels I made holes into that attached wood put the dowel into that hole and did same to attached bit of wood leading up to the centre piece frame of the window boom sorted ☺

I looked at the tie fighter toy I've been working on a good bit plus I've loved starwars since the late 70's as long as I can remember so I used good judgement to decide on the height to have the centre frame of the window from the actual barrel.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back