Kaizen's The Last Starfighter Arcade Cabinet Build

Oh I do like this.....alot.

I mean... ALOT!!

Looking forward to seeing it all painted up. Then invite us all round to see who gets the high score.

The coin door arrived today and I wasted no time in cutting the hole out and fitting it.
It'll get a fresh coat of paint, the door originally came from the US so it still takes quarters.
I still have a few quarters left over from when I had an imported Dragon's Lair so i'll leave it original.

https://i.imgur.com/SjwQ1Ke.jpg

One of the most difficult pieces to cut/fabricate was the beveled panels that sit vertically either side of the coin door, it tapers down from 18mm to 7mm (8 degree angle). I farmed that job out to a joinery shop as I don't have the right tools to do it neatly.

https://i.imgur.com/mL6yf30.jpg

The cab will get a full strip down over the next few days, I need to mark out and drill/cut the holes for the control panel lights and put a 20 degree chamfer on the control panel dividers.
I also need to cut the recess out at the bottom of the base section and then it'll be ready to prime, reassemble/glue where necessary, fill and paint.
Like this (not my cab).

https://i.imgur.com/npEK8rA.jpg

All of the end grains on the pieces of MDF will be sealed with a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water.

Wow I seriously can’t tell you how amazing this thing is!!!!!!

Sent from my Starfleet-issue communicator

Control panel lights done, a bit of routing to do tomorrow and that it's for the woodworking side of things.
I might even have time to get some paint on the base section tomorrow.

6OKKDyI.jpg

The final part of the woodworking has been done, the bevel on the control panel dividers were routed with a 70 degree router bit.

StDDZgX.jpg

6pq3Sqf.jpg

I've spent the last 3 weeks slowly prepping the panels for painting.
The open grains of the MDF where the panels have been cut or routed have been sealed with PVA glue then sanded and painted a couple of times until they are smooth and even.
The bezel area consists of 4 layers, the top three layers have been painted and sanded smooth prior to screwing and gluing together so that when the cab is assembled it will only need a top coat and makes it easier not having to try to neatly sand the inner corners.

zL1nGWY.jpg

Today I got the first layer of bog applied to the three layers at the bottom of the bezel.

Eb0ymZy.jpg

5K9rWO3.jpg

This will be sanded and painted tomorrow before attaching it to the fourth rear piece which will then need the two layers of the inner monitor cutout bogged and prepped as well.

FXXFUVA.jpg

It's painstakingly slow progress but I feel it will produce a better finish at the end.

After that's done the cabinet will be reassembled and the front of the control panel section will get bogged up.

Last edited:
The cab needed to get up off the ground so I fitted six leg levelers which should keep it nice and stable.

IMYSmwg.jpg

The bottom panel was then screwed and glued to the rest of the base section

UA394ta.jpg

The bottom panel was then flush trimmed all round and the front and sides got blocked down with 80 grit then 120 grit paper so they were nice and flush.

wdCaCAQ.jpg

A light smear of bog was applied to fill and cover the joins and gaps which was then blocked down starting with 120 grit and finished off with 240.

Rgi5anW.jpg

Lastly it was primed with a few coats of paint and after a few days it'll get blocked down with 320 then 400 grit paper then it'll get a final all over coat of paint.

qdGTyYS.jpg

GgGzmNi.jpg

The coin door also got a scuff back and fresh coat of paint.

2csDk56.jpg

Just a quick update on the progress of the build (or lack thereof), I've had a multitude of other commitments and seasonal challenges that meant this had to be parked for the last 7 months.
I've moved the top half of the cab into a utility room at the back of the house this week where it can get the final coat of paint and assembly without having to worry about wet weather and wind when painting.
I'll be getting back onto it in the following weeks and hope to have it completed within 2 months.

Today I sealed the end grain of the MDF with PVA glue and primed the wood with black paint.

Zaqye2e.jpg

k5Iaq3L.jpg

Attachments

• Zaqye2e.jpg
    Zaqye2e.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 101
  • k5Iaq3L.jpg
    k5Iaq3L.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Yesterday the front of the control panel and marquee was filled.

7wP7G7g.jpg

Then sanded with 320 grit.

c4W81ZV.jpg

9RNDf1Y.jpg

Today I spent the afternoon/evening sanding and painting and am making good progress, it looks like I should have the painting side of things done by the end of the Easter long weekend and all going well it'll be completed right on 12 months after starting work on it (12th May). I've lost track of exactly how much time I've spent on the build but it's probably around 50 hours so far and and about the same for the research and design side of things.

GFAH29M.jpg

1Gv1ocx.jpg

ykvGOXb.jpg

Pzqg6ls.jpg

qvNsVMX.jpg

The marquee perspex has been laser cut, 2 sheets of 3mm clear, the artwork will be sandwiched in between them.
The artwork files have been sent away for printing.

MR9rlqs.jpg

0ApzQ9s.jpg

The marquee slots into a 7mm deep, 1/4" (6.35mm) wide rebate at the top and is held in place at the bottom with a piece of angle.

zdbOQ5K.jpg

Last edited:
Painting of the cabinet and base is finally completed.
Hopefully I'll see the artwork arrive next week and I can start putting it together.

ahm96y7.jpg

HoWHP23.jpg

I had to do a trial run to make sure the paint hadn't filled the holes for the lights, most had to have the drill run through them.
I also couldn't resist putting the screen in and firing up the PC.

TXk3UIm.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back