Fossils

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I started this so I didn't take Joeranger's thread off topic.

I found this "bone" near Lebanon, OH. If anyone is from around here, it was found at Camp Kern. I found it when I was 12 and grabbed it because it looked like a bone. I know there are a lot of fossil plants that can be mistaken for a bone, but this is pretty uh bony. My dad sprayed it with lacquer so it wouldn't flake apart I guess. Oh one of the people conducting the hike at Camp Kern said it was probably just a cow bone... So it might be a rare fossilized Ohio cow.

KBJeUNn.jpg

dcBqAzq.jpg

I found this at my mom and dad's house when I was little. It certainly looks like a footprint, but I'm not 100% sure.

rLMtY4s.jpg

Here's a few things I've personally dug up. The farmfield of northern Illinois used to be a massive tropical sea, so there's plenty of shells and stuff to find.
YN84yuW.jpg Hh8c9t0.jpg 2vkicwp.jpg

And, of course, my prized trilobite impression. I drug it home when I was 6.
40Ha02q.jpg

Last edited:
I've found a few fossils on gravel roads and in fields near my in-laws home. They also have property that has a cave on it, and it's possible to climb down inside and look around. At one point there is a large section of wall that has small fossil shells sticking out of it. I hate to admit it, but I took a few.

Most of the stuff I find in the fields are strange objects and stuff left over from native American camps and one home that was torn down In the early 1900's. We have a few buckets at home filled with all sorts of odds and ends, lots of nails, a ceramic cat, marbles. We mainly pull the stuff out to get it out of the way of tillers and plows.

Ok I sent the above "bone" picture to Ohio State's Paleontology dept. because they have a guy who will ID fossils. It's apparently a straight-shelled cephalopod covered with a bryozoan colony (the coral looking pieces). I think the entire "bone" part is the shell, and where you see the horizontal bands, that's the animal part. Still very cool!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back